Might need an amp companion for my new Yamaha RX-3080A receiver... - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #31 of 50 Old 01-13-2020, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 136
The 2020 will put out 100wpc into 3 channels - probably more than enough to drive your speakers to reference level,
Spending $$$$ on a 250wpc amp is total overkill.
Save your money and at least try the 2020 first
edfowler likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 01-13-2020, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonK View Post
Hi toril. Someone above just said an external didn't make a difference for them. But I think I need it now because of going to 7.2.4, driving 11 speakers on the 3080...
Notice, he said you will get higher SPL. Not the same as improved sound quality.
post #33 of 50 Old 01-13-2020, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Some hear differences and some dont, but even if the only thing you are sure to get is pride of ownership and an absense of “what if..” thats all good as long as you can afford it

And a good quality amp should last through a few generations of AVR/AVPs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 50 Old 01-13-2020, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeliemix View Post
Some hear differences and some dont

That's debatable, and not in a pedantic way.

Some people say they hear differences from putting an external amp in when they aren't driving their receiver to clipping and didn't need it.

Some people say the Earth is flat. Some people say lots of things.

The fact that some people claim to hear a difference doesn't necessarily mean anything at all. I am sure we have all played the "telephone game" and should know that our senses can lie to us.

Last edited by DonoMan; 01-13-2020 at 11:16 AM.
post #35 of 50 Old 01-13-2020, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Might need an amp companion for my new Yamaha RX-3080A receiver...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonoMan View Post
That's debatable, and not in a pedantic way.

Some people say they hear differences from putting an external amp in when they aren't driving their receiver to clipping and didn't need it.

Some people say the Earth is flat. Some people say lots of things.

The fact that some people claim to hear a difference doesn't necessarily mean anything at all. I am sure we have all played the "telephone game" and should know that our senses can lie to us.

Except that if you believe you hear a difference you will be more happy with the equipment which will give more enjoyment either way. If you dont believe you wont get that but can save money.
If you continue in one direction you will go around the world no matter if you believe its flat or round.

Edit:a bit was missing, added it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Leeliemix; 01-13-2020 at 11:32 AM.
post #36 of 50 Old 01-13-2020, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeliemix View Post
Except that if you believe you hear a difference you will be more happy with the equipment which will give more enjoyment either way. If you continue in one direction you will go around the world no matter if you believe its flat or round.

True, if someone enjoys their system because they think it has improved, that's great.

But sometimes people point out what I did because we don't like it when these people start telling others how much better amps make things sound. (I'm not saying you're claiming that; I'm just saying that in general, a few people that do say such things causes confusion to those who don't know better)

Just trying to keep things in perspective. I have nothing else to add on this point so I won't linger on it. Not trying to argue or anything.

Last edited by DonoMan; 01-13-2020 at 11:34 AM.
post #37 of 50 Old 01-13-2020, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 35
@Leeliemix @DonoMan @MUDCAT45 @niterida

Thanks for all the opinions, guys. I stepped away from the buy button and eventually decided to be patient. After no upgrades in 8 years, I think I can hold off on a new power amp. I've ordered the cables I need for strapping into the 2020 for the front towers, and the center if need be. And I will go from there.

My Panasonic UB9000 4k player just showed up along with my new projector, the JVC RS2000. Thank you Mike at AVS! The 3080 should be here tomorrow. I am so excited. So...I've spent enough outside the 6 new Klipsch speakers on this stuff.

Thanks for helping me take it a step at a time, boys, and helping me know what the heck I am doing. Funny how you lose all knowledge after 8 years of doing nothing!

Last edited by HudsonK; 01-13-2020 at 01:10 PM.
post #38 of 50 Old 01-13-2020, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
After lots of reading, I am going to just get an amp, and go with the Parasound a31. I just love the specs and features. I'll sell the 2020.

I have the Parasound A21 and the A51. I'm only using 3 channels of the A51, but my unit (which I purchased used on ebay, and might be quite old) does run warmer than my A21. I use the A21 to power my Martin Logan 60XTs, and found it sounded more balanced, and more controlled in the bass than an Emotiva Gen 2 I was using. I found the improvements for music to be the more appreciable improvement over previous amps I used.

I think the primary reason is that it operates in class A for the first 8-10 watts, then switches ti A/B for more power. I typically enjoy listening to music and some TV as lower volumes, so I still get to enjoy a full, and dynamic sound.

Some equipment and speakers don't open up until you turn them up, and being in a modest sized apartment, it's ideal for those with smaller setups or who prefer lower to moderate listening levels. That's the biggest advantage I've experienced going specifically with the Parasound amps should you decide that route.

Other than that, you're paying the premium for the name, build quality, and design. Also the heat dissipation is nice with those giant heats sinks on the sides.

edit- I posted this not having seen your previous post. Patience is definitely the way to go if can resist costly upgrades. Good luck in your set up!

Audio: Audiocontrol Maestro M5 | Parasound A21 | Parasound A51 | Emotiva XPA 5 Gen 2
Video: LG 65E6P | Panasonic UB820 | Oppo 203 |
Speakers: Martin Logan 60XT & 50XT| Motion 4
Definitive Technology SR9080 Surround | Pro Monitor 1000 | Dual SVS PB16 | Hsu VTF 3 Mk 5

Last edited by nonametofame; 01-13-2020 at 01:03 PM.
post #39 of 50 Old 01-13-2020, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

@nonametofame - thanks so much for your post!

I am happy you have those models to feed back on. I watched a you tube setup/review video on the a31, and he mentioned the movement from A to A/B at lower volumes and the benefit of that. I don't really understand what it means. But it seems to make an appreciable difference. I'm still stuck to the a31 in terms of where I may go. I really like the look of the specs and what I've read on it. And it's weird I would want such an older model. But it looks kick ass....
post #40 of 50 Old 01-13-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
@nonametofame - thanks so much for your post!

I am happy you have those models to feed back on. I watched a you tube setup/review video on the a31, and he mentioned the movement from A to A/B at lower volumes and the benefit of that. I don't really understand what it means. But it seems to make an appreciable difference. I'm still stuck to the a31 in terms of where I may go. I really like the look of the specs and what I've read on it. And it's weird I would want such an older model. But it looks kick ass....

You're welcome. I researched these Halo models for quite some time as well, until I found a local seller unloading the A21 for $750. It had some blemishes, but I had to audition one in my setup to compare it against the Emotivas. Mine are both silver, and it's a nice change from the traditional black.
From what I understand, they are designed to be high bias, with that focus on the class A amp power for the first 10 watts or so. Some people prefer it since it's a pure signal power-wise, but extremely inefficient, and produces tons of heat because of this. What does this translate to?

For me, this has been extremely useful for night viewing. The dialogue from the center channel comes out clear, and dynamic even when my volume is low. This is a great benefit to me, as I don't have a night mode feature on my processor, so I can't apply any dynamic compression. This is probably not a common advantage for most users, as amps are supposed to serve as extra power reserves for extended, high volume listening sessions. Most won't even tap into that extra juice, unless you are playing aggressive movie soundtracks at near or at reference volumes.
So any high bias class A+A/B amplifier like these Parasounds will sound great at both lower and higher volume levels. I hope that helps.
Leeliemix likes this.

Audio: Audiocontrol Maestro M5 | Parasound A21 | Parasound A51 | Emotiva XPA 5 Gen 2
Definitive Technology SR9080 Surround | Pro Monitor 1000 | Dual SVS PB16 | Hsu VTF 3 Mk 5
post #41 of 50 Old 01-13-2020, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

@nonametofame - Awesome, man. Thank you. So glad it is great for you. Thanks for the details! Argh, now I want it again. Hahah. I am forcing myself NOT to buy it right now. But I suspect by summer when I have much more cash flow, I am going to lose all control...........
post #42 of 50 Old 01-13-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
@nonametofame - Awesome, man. Thank you. So glad it is great for you. Thanks for the details! Argh, now I want it again. Hahah. I am forcing myself NOT to buy it right now. But I suspect by summer when I have much more cash flow, I am going to lose all control...........

Believe me, the improvements are marginal, AND at a very significantly high cash investment. Definitely work with what you have, and either wait for some deals, or when you have cash flow in a few months. There's no way I could afford new Parasound equipment, and my Emotivas were performing exceptionally without issues.

Definitely try to restrain yourself (I know, it's really hard in this hobby), but keep an eye out on FB marketplace, the AVS classified and Ebay, and perhaps a deal will pop up on a gently used A31 or even A51. Plus you haven't even tried the recommended set up the members advised you on, so start there first, and save your change for the upgrades later, especially if you feel there are inadequacies in your system, after you try it out for a few months.

post #43 of 50 Old 01-13-2020, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

@nonametofame - I am on board with you and your advice, man. Thanks so much for all of it.

I wanna invest in a life sized light-up Iron Man statue anyway. LOL. My wife is going to divorce me............
post #44 of 50 Old 01-13-2020, 03:31 PM
NMG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I've no idea if I'm looking at the right speakers or if the stated specs are accurate, but the sensitivity I could find for the RF 7s is 101DB at 2.83V at 1M. That means that if you're sitting 3 feet away from the speaker, they will produce 101 decibels from just 1 watt of power. Doubling the power will add roughly 3 decibels. So 2 watts will give you 104 DB, 4 watts, 107 DB, 16 watts 110 DB and 32 watts 113 DB. I don't know how much power your 3080 will produce with all channels driven, but I'd bet it's at least 64 watts, which will put you around 116 DB. That's extremely loud. Also keep in mind that not every speaker will be demanding full power all the time, and with powered subs in the mix, your main speakers need to draw even less that if you were running them full range.

All of this to say that your 3080 should produce hearing damaging levels with those speakers well before clipping sets in. I wouldn't even think of buying an amp until you listen to everything for a while and evaluate things based on your normal listening habits.

Just for kicks, I'd also suggest grabbing a noise level meter, to see how loud you normally listen. You may surprise yourself to find that it's WAY lower than what you'd think (which also feeds into the issue of whether you need an additional amp).
DonoMan and Alan P like this.
post #45 of 50 Old 01-13-2020, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

@NMG Thanks, NMG.

I do have a sound meter somewhere. Unused for 10 years, hah. Thanks for all the info. I am running Klipsch RF7 II's. It looks like they are the same sensitivity. Thanks a lot for your practical post. I am now very confident I can run my RX-A2020 in pure mode and 140w for the towers and be totally satisfied. You guys have really saved me from diving in.....
post #46 of 50 Old 01-13-2020, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
@Leeliemix @DonoMan @MUDCAT45 @niterida

Thanks for all the opinions, guys. I stepped away from the buy button and eventually decided to be patient. After no upgrades in 8 years, I think I can hold off on a new power amp. I've ordered the cables I need for strapping into the 2020 for the front towers, and the center if need be. And I will go from there.

My Panasonic UB9000 4k player just showed up along with my new projector, the JVC RS2000. Thank you Mike at AVS! The 3080 should be here tomorrow. I am so excited. So...I've spent enough outside the 6 new Klipsch speakers on this stuff.
Wait Wait, so new speakers, Panasonic UB9000, JVC RS2000 and new Yammy 3080?? Well why didn't you say so? You NEED all new external amps all around and the Parasounds are sa-WEET! Image how cool it would look with Parasound amps stacked to the ceiling

Chad B calibrated JVC RS600, 112" wide 2.35 DaLite 2.8 High Power Screen (395 calibrated nits baby!!), 7.5.4 Yamaha RX-A3050, Yamaha RX-Z9, Aerial Acoustics Model 6, Model 5, CC3, Def Tech UIWBP/A, 4-15" Infinite Baffle Sub + 15" Velodyne Sub Near-field, OPPO 203, Panasonic UC420, Geek Pulse DAC, Nvidia Shield. Lots of iFi and Furman power filters which made my computer audio listenable.
post #47 of 50 Old 01-14-2020, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

@edfowler Now, old boy, that is wife level sarcasm. Haha. better from you then her right now! =)
post #48 of 50 Old 01-14-2020, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

; )

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Chad B calibrated JVC RS600, 112" wide 2.35 DaLite 2.8 High Power Screen (395 calibrated nits baby!!), 7.5.4 Yamaha RX-A3050, Yamaha RX-Z9, Aerial Acoustics Model 6, Model 5, CC3, Def Tech UIWBP/A, 4-15" Infinite Baffle Sub + 15" Velodyne Sub Near-field, OPPO 203, Panasonic UC420, Geek Pulse DAC, Nvidia Shield. Lots of iFi and Furman power filters which made my computer audio listenable.
post #49 of 50 Old 01-14-2020, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm just jealous

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

post #50 of 50 Old 01-15-2020, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

@edfowler Hah. I have been jealous for ages. No upgrade whatsoever in 8 years. I just on a whim started looking at where 4k projectors were. And the rabbit hole got deeper......and deeper.....and great prices were paid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page