AVS Forum banner

Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A8, RX-A6, RX-A4, RX-A2 (NEW 2020/2021 Models)

2M views 8K replies 767 participants last post by  BASSAHOLIC 
#1 · (Edited)
I could not find any threads regarding the new lineup from Yamaha (New 2020 AVRs), so I started this one.

Looks like Yamaha is changing the naming this time:

RX-A8 = RX-A3080 (11ch)
RX-A6 = RX-A2080 (9ch)
RX-A4 = RX-A1080 (7ch)
RX-A2 = RX-A880 (7ch)

All seems to support HDMI 2.1 with LLM, QMS, QFT & VRR, but nothing is 100% confirmed yet. No realse date is confirmed yet, likely 2H 2020.

Leaked from CES 2020 and a video, and some people over at "http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-276-8366.html" snatched some info

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Yes, I'm mostly interested in the A8, (if I'm going Yamha again this year). But I would like to know how many channels it can process with an external amp. Anyway I have to see what the other manufacturers comes up with this year too. Hopefully every manufacturer will have HDMI 2.1 support this year

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Reactions: strikercz07
#5 ·
AVR support for HDMI 2.1 can't possibly be limited to Yamaha's. Please god I hope Marantz or Denon announce something soon.

Reactions: Zoland2020
#7 ·
Me too. I love the Denon brand way too much to even think about abandoning it in favor of Yamaha.

#8 ·
I am just hopeful Yamaha finally adds a layer or two of sophistication to their RCS.

Thanks
James

#9 ·
Yea weird that Pioneer introduced a flagship lx904 a year before everyone announces hdmi 2.1. It will have dismal sales I think?

Onkyo (minus rz740/840) and Denon (minus x3600) have been waiting and will probably have 2.1 models this summer/fall.

Since I don't game and only need earc, atmos 5.2.4 plus zone 2 and 3, I am interested in the Denon x6500. Hopefully prices drop this summer when the x4600h/x6600h and Marantz sr7014 are introduced.

Pipe Dream?

#15 · (Edited)
Looks like HDMI 2.1 Lite

Based on the HDMI 2.1 feature list in the post above, higher speed transport, that is, 48gbps and the advanced compression algorithm, DSC, aren't included in these new products. The features listed are ones that can be implemented at the older, lower speed of 18gbps.

HDMI 2.1 can be implemented a piece at a time and it appears that is what is happening with these units. Drip, drip, drip...

Does anyone else have any more insight into this?

#20 ·
Based on the HDMI 2.1 feature list in the post above, higher speed transport, that is, 48gbps and the advanced compression algorithm, DSC, aren't included in these new products. The features listed are ones that can be implemented at the older, lower speed of 18gbps.

HDMI 2.1 can be implemented a piece at a time and it appears that is what is happening with these units. Drip, drip, drip...

Does anyone else have any more insight into this?
They are talking about 8K support.
Which is a huge indication that we are talking about true HDMI 2.1 48 GBit.
I do not believe that they are doing the same mistake manufacturers did back when 4K TVs first became a thing (=> advertising their AVRs as 4K capable, even though they only supported 4K@30 via DMI 1.4.).

Besides that they already support eARC on their current and older models. Which means that they could use the term "HDMI 2.1" right now. But they are not using "HDMI 2.1" for current and past models.

We also know that other manufacturers like D+M will release "true" HDMI 2.1 AVRs this year, even though they are supposed to have only one HDMI 2.1 48G IN.

But I guess we have to wait and see.

#17 ·
All HDMI specs on these leaks will be full of speculation and frankly, light on actual content.
At best, they're bullet points... until the full instructions / specs are published by Yamaha we're just killing time waiting...

The real question is - who is the dealer/journo/blogger who leaked this info and have they lost their dealership / access to anymore Yamaha launches forever?

#18 · (Edited)
This looks like something created by Thermaltake when HTPC cases were popular with the kids. A cross between Samsung and and China based HTPC ATX case design. One could argue it has a high end processor look like Emotiva or something but one thing is for sure. It is not attractive for a consumer placement.

As specs get released perhaps they can win some over but this a drastic overhaul cosmetically compared to what 4-5 years of component design for Yamaha.

The cheap looking VFD display looks like something that belongs on a power tool. Yuck! Its like they took a look at Marantz porthole design and said can we make something harder to read than this and save $20.xx on a VFD Matrix display.

At least the 5th leg is still there for stabilization of all that cheap plastic!

#28 ·
Like it or not YPAO is very deeply integrated in their AVR software and hardware such as all of their DSP modes, speaker settings and many of the options in the "Options" menu etc. To remove it and replace it with something else would be major surgery. Also, why would they license another companies software when they have been developing their own since the 1990's. I'm surprised that Denon and Marantz still license Audyssey and have not developed their own proprietary "room correction" software.

#29 ·
Moving Volume to centre and reducing the size of display... the most stupid decision ever. I thought the idea with 2.1 etc the idea is to make the receiver the hub for all av in a setup and therefore most people will want more info. okay some highenders in their cinema rooms will put it in a cupboard and forget but the average user in a rack will surely want more info on a display. This will lose buyers who will look at other brands.