• 1 Post By bobknavs

post #1 of 9 Old 01-14-2020, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New reciever help

Hi all,

Looking to get with the times and replace an older Pioneer Elite VSX-33. The more I research, the more confused I seem to get. So many options, specs, brands, models etc. to chose from. I'm still new to home audio world and want to make sure I'm getting the most bang for my buck here.

I have a 5.1 system with no plans to upgrade. All Polk Signature series, S35 center, S50 fronts, S10 rears and HTS10 sub. Probably equal parts gaming, movies/tv and music. Trying to decide between the following receivers.

Denon AVRX-3500H
Pioneer VSX-LX503
Marantz SR5013

Fully open to other suggestions, brands, models etc. if I am missing on some potential better options.
I defer to the experts, fire away. All and all responses appreciated. Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-14-2020, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three listed, just pick which one is the cheapest of the three & have fun, assuming if you don't need HDMI 2.1 (eARC, ALLM, VRR, etc.) at all.

America elevates you to another level.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-14-2020, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked: 1790
You don't supply any requirements that would warrant replacing the receiver.

Do you have any? Like 4k passthrough?

Not much point in buying a new receiver if you don't intend to use any of the newer features.
Joshua Chmiel likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-14-2020, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, should have clarified better. I'm trying to make the jump to 4K. Current receiver only supports DD and DTS. I have an older tv as well (720p Samsung plasma), so eventually moving in the direction of 4K audio and video as a whole. Just trying to ensure I have everything I need moving forward. HDR 10, eARC, HDMI 2.1/2.2 or whatever features are important.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-14-2020, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 829
Just my opinion to consider if you do change receivers. I preferred the room correction of Audyssey that my Marantz has. Denon also uses Audyssey. I had an Onkyo that I really liked before I upgraded to the Marantz for more channels of audio. Before room correction there was not much of a difference between the two in sound. Once Audyssey was ran it was a world of difference in my room for the better over Onkyo's AccuEQ.

7.3.4 Setup---TV: LG OLED 65B7A, Receiver: Marantz SR-6012, External 2-channel amplifier: Marantz MM7025, Blu-Ray Player: LG UBK90, Fronts: JBL S312, Center: JBL S-Center, Surrounds: JBL S38, Surround Back: JBL S36 ,Top: JBL S36 (4), Subwoofer: 2 PSA S3000i and one PSA XS-30se
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...&action=hybrid
post #6 of 9 Old 01-14-2020, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The Marantz is the only one that includes a composite video out connection. I believe your current receiver has one. Some older gaming systems cannot be converted and a composite connector may be needed if you are using an older system. If you are staying with 5.1 setup but are interested in virtual height channels, then maybe have a look at Marantz 5014. It has Dolby Atmos and DTS:X virtualizers whereas the 5013 only features DTS:Virtual X I believe. The 5014 retains the composite video out.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-14-2020, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre74 View Post
The Marantz is the only one that includes a composite video out connection. I believe your current receiver has one. Some older gaming systems cannot be converted and a composite connector may be needed if you are using an older system. If you are staying with 5.1 setup but are interested in virtual height channels, then maybe have a look at Marantz 5014. It has Dolby Atmos and DTS:X virtualizers whereas the 5013 only features DTS:Virtual X I believe. The 5014 retains the composite video out.
Does "Newfang" need a composite video out? Composite video in seems more obvious. The Denon AVR-X3500H converts some analog video signals to HDMI. I'm not certain which formats it supports, though.

The 3500 also includes Audyssey XT32 room equalization software. (The 5014, the lesser XT.) The 3500 also doesn't have the infamous Marantz "porthole" display.
Joshua Chmiel likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-14-2020, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

I currently do not have anything that requires any composite in/out. But I suppose it's nice to have just incase. I do have some older gaming consoles (Wii) that have standard rca cables but not composite.

As stated, my current reciever is 20 years old. I figured it would be advantageous to upgrade to future proof myself when I can get into a 4K display and future gen consoles (Xbox series X). I realize I'm limited in my channel setup at 5.1 but the room is just awkward with windows and furniture and such. It is what it is, I don't mind.

I know the 3500H is basically a steal right now for like $550 on Amazon. Plus it sounds like it has most the desirable accoutrements like lastest Audessy, HD audio formats, eARC, HDMI 2.2 and other things my current setup lacks now.

I appreciate everyone's feedback.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-14-2020, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfang View Post
I currently do not have anything that requires any composite in/out. But I suppose it's nice to have just incase. I do have some older gaming consoles (Wii) that have standard rca cables but not composite.

As stated, my current reciever is 20 years old. I figured it would be advantageous to upgrade to future proof myself when I can get into a 4K display and future gen consoles (Xbox series X). I realize I'm limited in my channel setup at 5.1 but the room is just awkward with windows and furniture and such. It is what it is, I don't mind.

I know the 3500H is basically a steal right now for like $550 on Amazon. Plus it sounds like it has most the desirable accoutrements like lastest Audessy, HD audio formats, eARC, HDMI 2.2 and other things my current setup lacks now.

I appreciate everyone's feedback.
That's HDCP 2.2. HDMI is 2.0b.

My apologies. I tell myself that it's worth posting, for the benefit of future forum readers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page