Denon DRA-800H compared to Denon AVR-X3500H for music - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-14-2020, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Denon DRA-800H compared to Denon AVR-X3500H for music

I'm planning to convert a small room for music listening.

For around $500, I can get the Denon DRA-800H or Denon AVR-X3500H.

The 800H is a stereo receiver with WiFi and a subwoofer input.

The X3500H is a 7.1 receiver.

With speakers like ELAC F6.2, would the X3500H be similar to the 800H when listening to Spotify music or would the 800H be noticeably better?

In general, will a stereo amp usually beat out an AV amp when it comes to 2.1 music listening?

Thanks...Alan

Last edited by ahender; 01-14-2020 at 12:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-14-2020, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 94
The X3500H may be a more powerful amp & have a few more features, but honestly if all you're using it for is just music listening, then you can get away with the DRA-800H. Go with the DRA-800H.

America elevates you to another level.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-14-2020, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 174
I guess it depends if you want any room correction software. Without a sub, I'd be inclined to go with the DRA-800H at an equal price. With a sub, and without an external sub EQ on hand, I would go with the X3500H for Audyssey. But that's me--I will never use a sub without some sort of EQ for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-14-2020, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 214
The 800H won't likely be better in any way. (Of course, just like any positive comment anyone might make, this is also just speculation.)

It's on the market because they think some people will buy it.

But people don't always buy things for sane reasons.

Personally I think this product is going to fail as I think that the average user is too intelligent to pay $500 for a stereo receiver and the average person who thinks a stereo receiver sounds better isn't int....I mean they probably won't buy a receiver with HDMI, even if only 2 channels. Yeah. That's what I was gonna say for sure.

It isn't a product with any technical purpose. It is a product that is intended to appeal to a very particular group of people. It exists because they think they can market it, not because it's innovative.

Last edited by DonoMan; 01-14-2020 at 02:01 PM.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-14-2020, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonoMan View Post
The 800H won't likely be better in any way. (Of course, just like any positive comment anyone might make, this is also just speculation.)

It's on the market because they think some people will buy it.

But people don't always buy things for sane reasons.

Personally I think this product is going to fail as I think that the average user is too intelligent to pay $500 for a stereo receiver and the average person who thinks a stereo receiver sounds better isn't int....I mean they probably won't buy a receiver with HDMI, even if only 2 channels. Yeah. That's what I was gonna say for sure.

It isn't a product with any technical purpose. It is a product that is intended to appeal to a very particular group of people. It exists because they think they can market it, not because it's innovative.
My limited knowledge of receivers is based on reading reviews. I thought one of the weaknesses of multi-channel AV receivers was music quality and fewer channels lent itself to better quality music. Is that assumption false?
post #6 of 12 Old 01-14-2020, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahender View Post
My limited knowledge of receivers is based on reading reviews. I thought one of the weaknesses of multi-channel AV receivers was music quality and fewer channels lent itself to better quality music. Is that assumption false?

Depends on which receiver and personal preferences, but generally the assumption is considered untrue, yes. It depends on personal preferences in that some people specifically prefer processing like room correction to be applied to both movies and music. It depends on the receiver in that, if any given person happens to not prefer the processing, whether or not that receiver allows the processing to be defeated (pure direct mode or whatever a manufacturer wants to label it). You could also buy 2-channel receivers with relatively high power compared to a multi-channel receiver, but the vast majority of stereo receivers/IAs aren't too much different from multi-channel receivers in terms of 2-channel power. And the vast majority of them have enough power for the vast majority of users, but either type can have an external amplifier connected if desired (as long as you buy a model with the pre-outs).

The 800 does have HDMI but does not have Audyssey. In the 3500H you could choose to use it or choose not to use it. And it's fine to prefer not using it. But having the option is always nice

I'm sure the 800H is going to be good at what it tries to do. But I really don't think it's going to do anything the 3500H can't. Well, maybe it will run cooler. That would be nice

Maybe I should take back my whole post after thinking about that one point. I'm half serious when I say that. Because if I had one complaint about the Marantz SR7011 I had a couple of years ago, it's that it ran pretty toasty when I was using at most 3 of its internal amps (and usually 0 as I run externals because I use an active crossover).
post #7 of 12 Old 01-15-2020, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonoMan View Post
Depends on which receiver and personal preferences, but generally the assumption is considered untrue, yes. It depends on personal preferences in that some people specifically prefer processing like room correction to be applied to both movies and music. It depends on the receiver in that, if any given person happens to not prefer the processing, whether or not that receiver allows the processing to be defeated (pure direct mode or whatever a manufacturer wants to label it). You could also buy 2-channel receivers with relatively high power compared to a multi-channel receiver, but the vast majority of stereo receivers/IAs aren't too much different from multi-channel receivers in terms of 2-channel power. And the vast majority of them have enough power for the vast majority of users, but either type can have an external amplifier connected if desired (as long as you buy a model with the pre-outs).

The 800 does have HDMI but does not have Audyssey. In the 3500H you could choose to use it or choose not to use it. And it's fine to prefer not using it. But having the option is always nice

I'm sure the 800H is going to be good at what it tries to do. But I really don't think it's going to do anything the 3500H can't. Well, maybe it will run cooler. That would be nice

Maybe I should take back my whole post after thinking about that one point. I'm half serious when I say that. Because if I had one complaint about the Marantz SR7011 I had a couple of years ago, it's that it ran pretty toasty when I was using at most 3 of its internal amps (and usually 0 as I run externals because I use an active crossover).
Thanks for your comments.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-15-2020, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 163
I own a similar 2 channel HDMI receiver (Integra DTM-7) and I bought it because I wanted flexibility in speaker selection because the amps are beefy. You can get the 800H for much less than $500 refurbished, at the same price against the 3500 it doesn't look like the best value.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-15-2020, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 183
if you want something with a smaller profile and real pre-outs, take a look at the Marantz NR1200. Also, i like the HEOS streaming system that Denon and Marantz uses.

Media Room: LG oled65c7, Marantz AV8805, Sherbourn 7/2100, Emotiva A-300, Studer A80, Studer Revox b795, Nakamichi RX-202, HTPC, exaSound e38, Sweetvinyl Sugarcube SC-2, (2) Piega P10, Piega Coax Center, (6) Piega AP 1.2, Hsu VTF-15h mk2
Office: Emotiva mini-x A100, Geek Pulse, (2) KEF LS-50, Goldenear FF 4, PC, NAS 130TB
Bedroom: Panasonic TCP55vt35, Marantz NR1200, Dune 3 Prime, (2) Elac Uni-Fi UB5

Last edited by mlknez; 01-15-2020 at 10:26 AM.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-15-2020, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post
if you want something with a smaller profile and real pre-outs, take a look at the Marantz NR1200. Also, i like the HEOS streaming system that Denon and Marantz uses.
That's a good suggestion. Thanks. For someone who is not an audiophile, would I hear the difference between this amp and the Denon 3500 when playing direct audio? By the way, I have the Denon 3500 for my HT system.

Last edited by ahender; 01-15-2020 at 03:14 PM.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-16-2020, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahender View Post
That's a good suggestion. Thanks. For someone who is not an audiophile, would I hear the difference between this amp and the Denon 3500 when playing direct audio? By the way, I have the Denon 3500 for my HT system.
Most likely, no. Similar specs.

Media Room: LG oled65c7, Marantz AV8805, Sherbourn 7/2100, Emotiva A-300, Studer A80, Studer Revox b795, Nakamichi RX-202, HTPC, exaSound e38, Sweetvinyl Sugarcube SC-2, (2) Piega P10, Piega Coax Center, (6) Piega AP 1.2, Hsu VTF-15h mk2
Office: Emotiva mini-x A100, Geek Pulse, (2) KEF LS-50, Goldenear FF 4, PC, NAS 130TB
Bedroom: Panasonic TCP55vt35, Marantz NR1200, Dune 3 Prime, (2) Elac Uni-Fi UB5
post #12 of 12 Old 01-16-2020, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post
Most likely, no. Similar specs.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement