Upgrading Receiver for Dolby Vision - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-14-2020, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Upgrading Receiver for Dolby Vision

Hey everyone need some advice, I'll start with my current setup
  • TV: Just upgraded to an LG B9
  • Sound: 5.1 SVS Prime Setup with SB2000
  • Current Receiver: Marantz SR5010

Up until this point I didn't even own a 4k Blu-Ray player because when I purchased the original setup ~2015, UHD/4K players and content was sparse. After upgrading my TV I think it's time to utilize as much as I can. Dolby Vision is my goal. My current Marantz says it supports HDR but doesn't do Dolby Vision considering it's age. I thought a work around could be to plug the 4k player I buy directly into the TV but the issue there is the Marantz doesn't support eARC. I think it's one year off from being able to (2015 vs 2016)

Thus I guess my only option to get eARC and Dolby Vision is to upgrade the receiver. Would love suggestions and also is my current receiver worth trying to sell?

Thanks for any advice! (Also if you have 4k player suggestions throw those in too!)

*edit - I'm an idiot. Looks like this says the SR5010 got Dolby Vision support so I should be good to go? Only downside I think is if I play high quality audio through Netflix/Prime the lack of eARC will downgrade the quality right?

Last edited by armitage2112; 01-14-2020 at 04:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-14-2020, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by armitage2112 View Post
Hey everyone need some advice, I'll start with my current setup
  • TV: Just upgraded to an LG B9
  • Sound: 5.1 SVS Prime Setup with SB2000
  • Current Receiver: Marantz SR5010

Up until this point I didn't even own a 4k Blu-Ray player because when I purchased the original setup ~2015, UHD/4K players and content was sparse. After upgrading my TV I think it's time to utilize as much as I can. Dolby Vision is my goal. My current Marantz says it supports HDR but doesn't do Dolby Vision considering it's age. I thought a work around could be to plug the 4k player I buy directly into the TV but the issue there is the Marantz doesn't support eARC. I think it's one year off from being able to (2015 vs 2016)

Thus I guess my only option to get eARC and Dolby Vision is to upgrade the receiver. Would love suggestions and also is my current receiver worth trying to sell?

Thanks for any advice! (Also if you have 4k player suggestions throw those in too!)

*edit - I'm an idiot. Looks like this says the SR5010 got Dolby Vision support so I should be good to go? Only downside I think is if I play high quality audio through Netflix/Prime the lack of eARC will downgrade the quality right?
I think easiest route would be to buy the LG UBK90. Excellent no frills 4K player. Best part is it has two HDMI ports. One to send to your TV for Dolby Vision and picture while the other sends into your receiver for audio. Downside is no onscreen display when using the player. Option two is get a Marantz SR6014 (6012 and 13 also support Dolby Vision). I say the 6014 since then you can use your existing 5010 as an external amplifier for Atmos channels while using the 6014 to power the base layer and let you pass all the Dolby Vision content through. Of course with option two you will need more speakers. Let the fun begin!

7.3.4 Setup---TV: LG OLED 65B7A, Receiver: Marantz SR-6012, External 2-channel amplifier: Marantz MM7025, Blu-Ray Player: LG UBK90, Fronts: JBL S312, Center: JBL S-Center, Surrounds: JBL S38, Surround Back: JBL S36 ,Top: JBL S36 (4), Subwoofer: 2 PSA S3000i and one PSA XS-30se
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...&action=hybrid
post #3 of 3 Old 01-14-2020, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Well looks like i got things sorted out without having to drop a bunch of money! Didn't realize the model was on there the first time I looked at the Vision updates. Everything is up and running!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page