Pioneer Elite AVR No love anymore! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By Bill Misencik
  • 1 Post By LNEWoLF
  • 2 Post By IMWhizzle
  • 1 Post By Sorny

post #1 of 21 Old 01-22-2020, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Pioneer Elite AVR No love anymore!

So I have a Pioneer Elite reciever. It's about 7 years old. It's really a great reciever with all the sound formats beside Dolby Atmos. I have read that Onkyo bought the Pioneer receiver division. Now Pioneer doesn't even support it's products anymore. Pioneer has an old Remote app that suppose to control your reciever. Since Onkyo bought them out the app hasn't been updated in years so you can't connect the app to your reciever. This is bs. If Pioneer can't support it's products then they will be losing alot of customers including me. Anyone tried to comnect the Control app to your reciever? It won't connect. I lost my remote and I was looking forward to just downloading the app and use that is the remote but No Pioneer won't fix the problem. It's really a disgrace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-23-2020, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 57
You're upset with Pioneer because you lost your remote? All snark aside, are you trying to use the correct remote app? There's a couple of them, and you've got to use the right one for the model receiver you have.

MiniDSP 2x4HD, UMIK-1, REW... The holy trinity for running multiple subs.
post #3 of 21 Old 01-25-2020, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorny View Post
You're upset with Pioneer because you lost your remote? All snark aside, are you trying to use the correct remote app? There's a couple of them, and you've got to use the right one for the model receiver you have.
No I am not pissed at Pioneer cause I lost my remote. Why the snide remark? First of all my AvR is 10 years old. Second of all yes I know there are like 5 icontrols apps on the play store for various receivers none of them work. If you actually read the reviews on the apps they haven't been updated in years and that's a disgrace. Since Onkyo bought the electronic division they are not supporting there apps which is bs. So since you replied to my question. Do you have a Pioneer receiver and does the app work for you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 01-25-2020, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottt1174 View Post
No I am not pissed at Pioneer cause I lost my remote. Why the snide remark? First of all my AvR is 10 years old. Second of all yes I know there are like 5 icontrols apps on the play store for various receivers none of them work. If you actually read the reviews on the apps they haven't been updated in years and that's a disgrace. Since Onkyo bought the electronic division they are not supporting there apps which is bs. So since you replied to my question. Do you have a Pioneer receiver and does the app work for you?
Not that its any consolation, I have had lots of experience with Pioneer and Elite products over the last 30 years and their support has always been lacking. No surprise that it continues with new ownership. My advice, cut losses and switch brands.
rhed likes this.
post #5 of 21 Old 01-25-2020, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I do have a Pioneer Elite receiver. A VSX-LX504TX. It replaced my old Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX.
I also have the remote app, not icontrol, to control it. So, yes, I'm quite aware of the app confusion as to what works with what on Pioneer's receivers... and why I asked if you were using the right app.

Regarding the apps, assuming none of the various Pioneer remote apps work, do you work for free? See in the like 10 years or so that you've had the receiver, the phone makers (Google & Apple) have changed their APIs a dozen times. So, things that used to work need to be rewritten. Software engineers cost money. Does it make sense to spend significant money on supporting stuff for a decade old product?

Have you looked on eBay for a replacement remote?

There's legit things to be upset about with Pioneer, like MCACC not doing squat to EQ subs, global crossovers, and cheap remotes. But getting all in a huff because a remote app that you didn't pay for to start with stopped working 10 years later, isn't really one of them.

post #6 of 21 Old 01-25-2020, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
So I have a Pioneer Elite reciever. It's about 7 years old. It's really a great reciever with all the sound formats beside Dolby Atmos. I have read that Onkyo bought the Pioneer receiver division. Now Pioneer doesn't even support it's products anymore. Pioneer has an old Remote app that suppose to control your reciever. Since Onkyo bought them out the app hasn't been updated in years so you can't connect the app to your reciever. This is bs. If Pioneer can't support it's products then they will be losing alot of customers including me. Anyone tried to comnect the Control app to your reciever? It won't connect. I lost my remote and I was looking forward to just downloading the app and use that is the remote but No Pioneer won't fix the problem. It's really a disgrace.
For your Pioneer Elite VSX 32. The compatible app to download is the Pioneer iControlAV app.

Good luck......
Neil S. Bulk likes this.

Twin Pioneer AVR Locomotives-Elite SC 97, SC 1222 7.2.4, DOLBY Atmos and DTS X, (Front Pre Out,) JBL Pro Synthesis LS Series Speakers, F L R-LS80, Cen-LS, S L R-LS60, SB L R-LS60, 4 Dolby Atmos Enabled Klipsch R41SA, Twin Klipsch R120SW, Sony XBR 85X 850G, Sony UBP-X800M2, ATV G4, Yamaha ATS 1060 Sound Bar, True Depth Firestorm 2.0 3D Glasses, Harmony Hub with Utlimate 1 Remote, Broadlink RM Pro2, EYE Pad Air, Winegard FL6550A
post #7 of 21 Old 01-25-2020, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
I do have a Pioneer Elite receiver. A VSX-LX504TX. It replaced my old Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX.
I also have the remote app, not icontrol, to control it. So, yes, I'm quite aware of the app confusion as to what works with what on Pioneer's receivers... and why I asked if you were using the right app.

Regarding the apps, assuming none of the various Pioneer remote apps work, do you work for free? See in the like 10 years or so that you've had the receiver, the phone makers (Google & Apple) have changed their APIs a dozen times. So, things that used to work need to be rewritten. Software engineers cost money. Does it make sense to spend significant money on supporting stuff for a decade old product?

Have you looked on eBay for a replacement remote?

There's legit things to be upset about with Pioneer, like MCACC not doing squat to EQ subs, global crossovers, and cheap remotes. But getting all in a huff because a remote app that you didn't pay for to start with stopped working 10 years later, isn't really one of them.
I really is that how it works. Ok well go into the play app store and look at the reviews for the icontrol5 app. People with 2017 models can't access it. You probably didn't even know Onkyo bought out the Pioneer Home division so THAT'S WHY THEY ARN'T SUPPORTING THE APP NO MORE. SMH. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH NOT SUPPORTING OLD PRODUCTS. Dude you have NO clue. Oh and BTW you have to be using the Icontrol5 app if you want to use your phone as a remote. What app are you using? Your probably using the regular Pionnee Remote app and that doesn't work either. Even with people who have a 2017 model. Go do some reading. You have no clue what app your even using. I have been a loyal Pioneer guy so dude you don't need to school me on what I know. Also regarding the MCACC, it's works almost perfect in the older models not the newer models that's because it's not Pioneer anymore. Then go switch brands if you don't like Pioneer smartass.

Last edited by Scottt1174; 01-25-2020 at 04:12 PM.
post #8 of 21 Old 01-25-2020, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNEWoLF View Post
Quote:
For your Pioneer Elite VSX 32. The compatible app to download is the Pioneer iControlAV app.

Good luck......
Thanks but I tried all of the icontrols and they don't work. It's not being supported anymore. Pioneer does suck in the customer service dept though.
post #9 of 21 Old 01-25-2020, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Last week I bought the Logitech Harmony Elite. It can control all of my devices in the entertainment center. Your problem would be solved.
savage01 and Geronimo.USMC like this.

Klipsch Reference Premiere: 4 x RP-280's, 1 x RP 450C and dual R-115W's
Marantz 7011 AVR
LG OLED C9
Apple TV 4K
PlayStation Pro
post #10 of 21 Old 01-25-2020, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I really is that how it works. Ok well go into the play app store and look at the reviews for the icontrol5 app. People with 2017 models can't access it. You probably didn't even know Onkyo bought out the Pioneer Home division so THAT'S WHY THEY ARN'T SUPPORTING THE APP NO MORE. SMH. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH NOT SUPPORTING OLD PRODUCTS. Dude you have NO clue. Oh and BTW you have to be using the Icontrol5 app if you want to use your phone as a remote. What app are you using? Your probably using the regular Pionnee Remote app and that doesn't work either. Even with people who have a 2017 model. Go do some reading. You have no clue what app your even using. I have been a loyal Pioneer guy so dude you don't need to school me on what I know. Also regarding the MCACC, it's works almost perfect in the older models not the newer models that's because it's not Pioneer anymore. Then go switch brands if you don't like Pioneer smartass.
Please continue to make unfounded assumptions, you're doing wonderful so far... Old news about Onkyo buying Pioneer several years ago. Sound United recently aborted their buyout of Onkyo/Pioneer, too. Yeah, I'm completely uninformed.

I don't use whatever app version you're talking about, and don't have an Android phone. I use IOS and using the correct app for my receiver, which is Pioneer Remote App, V1.13.0. It works on my receiver, and that's a good thing because the physical remote for the 504 leaves a lot to be desired in comparison to the remote I had on my 45TX.

The Icontrol 5 app doesn't support my receiver. The 2 minutes I spent looking at it suggest receivers it supports need latest firmware for respective receivers, and the wifi network needs to be "simple", like no symbols in the SSID. Like the App I use, it seems rather hit & miss as to working well or not. I haven't had any issues, so all I can suggest is what I've already suggested about making sure the receiver firmware is updated and try a simply named SSID for the wireless network.

If I didn't like how my Pioneer sounds, I wouldn't have bought another one.

post #11 of 21 Old 01-25-2020, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Misencik View Post
Not that its any consolation, I have had lots of experience with Pioneer and Elite products over the last 30 years and their support has always been lacking. No surprise that it continues with new ownership. My advice, cut losses and switch brands.
post #12 of 21 Old 01-25-2020, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Please continue to make unfounded assumptions, you're doing wonderful so far... Old news about Onkyo buying Pioneer several years ago. Sound United recently aborted their buyout of Onkyo/Pioneer, too. Yeah, I'm completely uninformed. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/IMG]

I don't use whatever app version you're talking about, and don't have an Android phone. I use IOS and using the correct app for my receiver, which is Pioneer Remote App, V1.13.0. It works on my receiver, and that's a good thing because the physical remote for the 504 leaves a lot to be desired in comparison to the remote I had on my 45TX.

The Icontrol 5 app doesn't support my receiver. The 2 minutes I spent looking at it suggest receivers it supports need latest firmware for respective receivers, and the wifi network needs to be "simple", like no symbols in the SSID. Like the App I use, it seems rather hit & miss as to working well or not. I haven't had any issues, so all I can suggest is what I've already suggested about making sure the receiver firmware is updated and try a simply named SSID for the wireless network.

If I didn't like how my Pioneer sounds, I wouldn't have bought another one.
Wow man must be nice being you. I guess a know it all knows everything. Stop assuming that I didn't know Onkyo was bought out years ago. Again SMH.

Stop assuming because something isn't important to you doesn't mean it's not important to anyone else. Plus I will say the new Pioneer receivers are crap compared to how they were made. The Burr/Brown dacs were way better then the crap they have in them now. So stop assuming I don't know anything because the crappy app that pioneer put out never was supported correctly .

So I guess iPhone are superior?Dude I would love to know everything like you do. Plus I have been buying Elite receivers since the 90s. So I know what I am talking about. I just recently lost the remote so I was asking a simple question and you chimed in like I was some idiot. I never used the app before..

The old remotes of Pioneer were the best with backlight and everything. Now they are POS to save money. Again SMH (with slam effect) lmfao

Last edited by Scottt1174; 01-26-2020 at 12:16 AM.
post #13 of 21 Old 01-26-2020, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMWhizzle View Post
Last week I bought the Logitech Harmony Elite. It can control all of my devices in the entertainment center. Your problem would be solved.
Yes I know about the Harmony remotes.Question though. Can you set every function or command of the Pioneer receiver on the Harmony remote? Like channel leveling or changing all of the audio parameters? Cause of it doesn't support it then I will just try and find the OEM remote for my unit. Thanks.

Last edited by Scottt1174; 01-26-2020 at 12:14 AM.
post #14 of 21 Old 01-26-2020, 12:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wow man must be nice being you. I guess a know it all knows everything. Stop assuming that I didn't know Onkyo was bought out years ago. Again SMH. Stop assuming because something isn't important to you doesn't mean it's not important to anyone else. Plus I will say the new Pioneer receivers are crap compared to how they were made. The Burr/Brown dacs were way better then the crap they have in them now. So stop assuming I don't know anything because the crappy app that pioneer put out never was supported correctly . So I guess iPhone are superior. Dude I would love to know everything like you do. Plus I have been buying Elite receivers since the 90s. So I know what I am talking about. I just recently lost the remote so I was asking a simple question and you chimed in like I was some idiot. I never used the app before..The old remotes of Pioneer were the best with backlight and everything. Now they are POS to save money. Again SMH (with slam effect) lmfao
Sensitive much? You are the one who assumed I didn't know about the Pioneer buyout, you assumed I didn't use the right app for my receiver, and you seem to think I know everything and think my phone is superior. I don't.

I merely asked if you used the right app, then offered the troubleshooting info that a literal 5 second search in the app store reviews said worked for those whose apps didn't work. Did you even try the SSID bit? Had you ever upgraded the firmware? Know what, I don't actually care what you did or did not do because you're responses have been completely toxic. One bit of snark and you flew off the handle. Good luck.

I'm done with this, and you.
Maximum7 likes this.

post #15 of 21 Old 01-26-2020, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Yes I know about the Harmony remotes.Question though. Can you set every function or command of the Pioneer receiver on the Harmony remote? Like channel leveling or changing all of the audio parameters? Cause of it doesn't support it then I will just try and find the OEM remote for my unit. Thanks.
I have the Harmony Elite and I'm using it with my Pioneer Elite SC05, The app for my iPhone I'm pretty sure has all the remote actions on it. On the iPad on the other hand does not have as many of the actions. The iPhone has the audio parameters, video parameters, channel levels, surround sound modes, HMG, MCACC, and so on it winds up being about 15 pages of actions in alphabetical order. If you need any more info just let me know. It's probably a good idea to track down an original remote too though.

On a side note I really wish the moderators on this forum would do their jobs and keep negative people at bay like they do on some of the other forums. People that don't bring any positive information to the topic should be warned once and if they continue to bring negative attitude and information to the topic the comments should be deleted. Just saying it happens too much on this forum.
post #16 of 21 Old 01-26-2020, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riidgerunner19446 View Post
Quote:
I have the Harmony Elite and I'm using it with my Pioneer Elite SC05, The app for my iPhone I'm pretty sure has all the remote actions on it. On the iPad on the other hand does not have as many of the actions. The iPhone has the audio parameters, video parameters, channel levels, surround sound modes, HMG, MCACC, and so on it winds up being about 15 pages of actions in alphabetical order. If you need any more info just let me know. It's probably a good idea to track down an original remote too though.

On a side note I really wish the moderators on this forum would do their jobs and keep negative people at bay like they do on some of the other forums. People that don't bring any positive information to the topic should be warned once and if they continue to bring negative attitude and information to the topic the comments should be deleted. Just saying it happens too much on this forum.
Yeah I agree with you. All I did was ask a simple question and I get reply from someone like my question was stupid and I should know better. However thanks for the info. I never had the needed to try and use the app before and all I was saying is alot of people have complained about how since Pioneer was bought out they haven't supported the app for older models. Anyway, I will try to find the OEM of the remote or probably pick up a Harmony. I loved my old Remote because it was a really nice back lit remote. They don't make them like they used to anynore. 👍
post #17 of 21 Old 01-26-2020, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Wow man must be nice being you. I guess a know it all knows everything. Stop assuming that I didn't know Onkyo was bought out years ago. Again SMH. Stop assuming because something isn't important to you doesn't mean it's not important to anyone else. Plus I will say the new Pioneer receivers are crap compared to how they were made. The Burr/Brown dacs were way better then the crap they have in them now. So stop assuming I don't know anything because the crappy app that pioneer put out never was supported correctly . So I guess iPhone are superior. Dude I would love to know everything like you do. Plus I have been buying Elite receivers since the 90s. So I know what I am talking about. I just recently lost the remote so I was asking a simple question and you chimed in like I was some idiot. I never used the app before..The old remotes of Pioneer were the best with backlight and everything. Now they are POS to save money. Again SMH (with slam effect) lmfao
Sensitive much? You are the one who assumed I didn't know about the Pioneer buyout, you assumed I didn't use the right app for my receiver, and you seem to think I know everything and think my phone is superior. I don't.

I merely asked if you used the right app, then offered the troubleshooting info that a literal 5 second search in the app store reviews said worked for those whose apps didn't work. Did you even try the SSID bit? Had you ever upgraded the firmware? Know what, I don't actually care what you did or did not do because you're responses have been completely toxic. One bit of snark and you flew off the handle. Good luck.

I'm done with this, and you.
Nah dude go back and read your posts. That's not all you said. Whatever. Next time you reply to a post why don't you try and be alittle more sympathetic instead of trying to say do it your way.
post #18 of 21 Old 01-26-2020, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Yeah I agree with you. All I did was ask a simple question and I get reply from someone like my question was stupid and I should know better. However thanks for the info. I never had the needed to try and use the app before and all I was saying is alot of people have complained about how since Pioneer was bought out they haven't supported the app for older models. Anyway, I will try to find the OEM of the remote or probably pick up a Harmony. I loved my old Remote because it was a really nice back lit remote. They don't make them like they used to anynore. 👍
I'm not sure if your remote is similar to mine or not but my only complaint about it is that it eats batteries like nobody's business. I only use the expensive ones they tend to last the longest but I might still change them out 3 or 4 times a year.
post #19 of 21 Old 01-26-2020, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Generally yes.
When you set up the harmony remote and enter the name/model of the device harmony will add the software from their data base.
Under the "activities" you add you will get basically the most used? controls. To use the remote as the specific device you have to go to that device then you will get all the controls.
You can add specific controls to the activities and/or to the buttons/screen...if you buy a remote with a screen...to get specific controls added to your "activity".

now for snarky...you lost the remote...take better care of your stuff...don't complain about poor customer support for a 10 year old device because they can't cover you "losing" a device. Perhaps Pioneer just doesn't want to offer a smart phone control app for a 10 year old device...oh well, it's 10 years old.

suggestions: buy a harmony remote...search on ebay for the remote you "lost".

TV: Sony XBR 65X950G, AVR: Marantz SR5011, Speakers: front/Paradigm Prestige 15B bookshelf, center/Paradigm Prestige 45C, surround/Paradigm Atom, sub/SVS SB3000, DVD: LG UBK 90 UHD DVD Player, Media Player: Zidoo Z9S, Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home
post #20 of 21 Old 01-26-2020, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
Quote:
Generally yes.
When you set up the harmony remote and enter the name/model of the device harmony will add the software from their data base.
Under the "activities" you add you will get basically the most used? controls. To use the remote as the specific device you have to go to that device then you will get all the controls.
You can add specific controls to the activities and/or to the buttons/screen...if you buy a remote with a screen...to get specific controls added to your "activity".

now for snarky...you lost the remote...take better care of your stuff...don't complain about poor customer support for a 10 year old device because they can't cover you "losing" a device. Perhaps Pioneer just doesn't want to offer a smart phone control app for a 10 year old device...oh well, it's 10 years old.

suggestions: buy a harmony remote...search on ebay for the remote you "lost".
Wow you people are amazing on here. Oh like you never lost a remote or anything in your life. I don't need snarky remarks to tell me to keep better care of my stuff. I recently moved and lost it. I mean seriously dude. Again you people are not getting it . SMH. I am not explaining it again. If you read through my posts it's not just my 10 yr old receiver, the app doesn't work for receivers that are 2 yrs old. Please know what your talking about.

If you are not a pioneer guy like I have been since the early 90"s then know what your talking about . Pioneer always had crappy customer service. Also I was only enquiring about the app since I recently lost my remote. I can care two craps about the app. I can always get a replacement remote. I was only talking about how the app isn't supported anymore even on models that are 2 yrs on on Android.

Seriously no need for snarky remark just to be a jerk off. Lol
post #21 of 21 Old 01-26-2020, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Actually still have a Pioneer Elite VSX-21THX and still have the remote and it works perfectly. My son has it now and uses it every day...hasn't lost the remote either hehehe

TV: Sony XBR 65X950G, AVR: Marantz SR5011, Speakers: front/Paradigm Prestige 15B bookshelf, center/Paradigm Prestige 45C, surround/Paradigm Atom, sub/SVS SB3000, DVD: LG UBK 90 UHD DVD Player, Media Player: Zidoo Z9S, Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page