A question for resident audio expert’s. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By skylarlove1999

post #1 of 8 Old 01-26-2020, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 227
A question for resident audio expert’s.

I am in the beginning stages of a remodel and I am going to upgrade my home theaters. I haven’t upgraded my most powerful HT to 4K yet, so I’m going to need a new pre-pro or receiver which leads to my question. For about the last decade I’ve been using Anthem D2v connected via balanced connections to a Sunfire TGA-7400 running a 7.1 (or .6?) system. My speakers are DefTech 7001s with built-in powered 12 inch subs and two JL Audio f212s. Surrounds are very capable 8” Speakercraft in-walls. Since all the subs are self powered, is there a receiver that will handle 7001’s plus adding Atmos speakers and still give me the level of quality sound that I am used to? I want to simplify but, don’t want to be disappointed either. It seems that today’s receivers are quite powerful enough to drive my speakers but, I'm hand wringing on the decision to go with a receiver or stay with separates. Any and all advice welcome and appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-26-2020, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 299
They arent more powerful than they used to be and whats there is shared by more channels. But if going for Atmos or so a receiver have no problem at all with running overhead speakers while your front ones at least have their own amplification. A reciever might be able to run your whole setup but it would have been 20 years ago also if comparable model.(higher quality models)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3 of 8 Old 01-26-2020, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2276 Post(s)
Liked: 2427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetd View Post
I am in the beginning stages of a remodel and I am going to upgrade my home theaters. I haven’t upgraded my most powerful HT to 4K yet, so I’m going to need a new pre-pro or receiver which leads to my question. For about the last decade I’ve been using Anthem D2v connected via balanced connections to a Sunfire TGA-7400 running a 7.1 (or .6?) system. My speakers are DefTech 7001s with built-in powered 12 inch subs and two JL Audio f212s. Surrounds are very capable 8” Speakercraft in-walls. Since all the subs are self powered, is there a receiver that will handle 7001’s plus adding Atmos speakers and still give me the level of quality sound that I am used to? I want to simplify but, don’t want to be disappointed either. It seems that today’s receivers are quite powerful enough to drive my speakers but, I'm hand wringing on the decision to go with a receiver or stay with separates. Any and all advice welcome and appreciated. Thanks!
You can always audition a receiver and if you find you are lacking you could use the receiver as a preamp and buy an external amp for LCR or LCR and surrounds. Monoprice and Emotiva make some nice budget amps that are customizable from 3 to 11 channels of amplification. There are receivers that have 9 channels of amplification but have preouts for 11 channels plus two subwoofers or more. What is your budget?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-26-2020, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked: 1116
Quote:
1. Is there anything about your current speakers that you don't like?
2. Atmos - I would highly suggest 4 Atmos channels with either in/on-ceiling or on-wall bookshelf speakers at the junction of the wall and ceiling.
3. If you want to stay with Anthem, I have the MRX 720 powering my Paradigm Prestige setup with an inexpensive Monoprice 2-channel amp for my Rear Heights. It's 7x 140W all channels driven. It has RCA pre-outs for all 11 channels it can process. Of course you can go to the AVM 60 as a true pre/pro with balanced outputs. You will still need a 4-channel amp for your Atmos channels though.
4. I would NOT use the powered woofers in your towers, as you have VERY capable subwoofers for LFE. I would treat the 7001s as satellite speakers with an 80Hz crossover.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-26-2020, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked: 293
@Stevetd I wrote a damn book for you and avs timed out on me and I lost it all. Starting over! Bottom line, as others have said, use sunfire, add a 2 or 4 channel amp (5.2.4 or 7.2.4) and run the subs for lfe, not the DT's.

Receivers with preouts to use as a processor and amp (many do not have amp assign, so verify first)

Onkyo - rz740/840
Pioneer- lx503/504/704
Yamaha - a2070/2080 (9 channels max) a3070/3080
Denon - x3600/x4400/x4500/x6400/x6500/x8500 (flagship)
Marantz - sr6013/6014/7013/8012 (flagship -older)
NAD - 758v3 / 777v3
Arcam - avr550/850 (older)
Anthem - mrx520/720/1120 (older)

Or if you have a larger budget, use a true processor

Yamaha - cx-a5100/5200
Marantz - av7705/8802a/8805 (flagship)
Athem - avm60 (older)
NAD - M17 (older)
Onkyo - pr-rz5100
Arcam - av860

of if you have a massive budget and want to go 7.2.6 or 9.2.6

Monoprice -htp1
jbl synthesis -sp55
bryston - sp4
acurus - muse
Lyngdorf - mp50
Storm Audio - 3d 16

I own none of these, so check their features and go to their respective dedicated threads to see what actual owners have to say!

Good luck!

Last edited by eriksells916; 01-26-2020 at 10:50 AM.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-27-2020, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

@Leeliemix
@skylarlove1999
@sigpig
@eriksells916

Sorry for the delayed response. Too much on my plate atm. Thanks so much for the informative replies!

My budget? I don't really have one other than I'm a lot more frugal with my A/V money than I was back when I bought the Anthem and Sunfire. Today's a/v world, like everything else, is rapidly evolving and I don't want to feel too anchored to my hardware. OTOH, I waited until late 2018 to buy my first 4K TV. My early adopting days are over. Still not over the Blu-ray/HD-DVD war and trying to find a happy median, j/k LOL.

I never thought about not using the built-in subs in the 7001s. I just thought more was better. Do you guys think they are a detriment to room correction/proper LFE? Seems like a waste of space and in/on-walls would make more sense but, the f212’s would stick out like a sore thumb without towers. Maybe I'll experiment with moving them to less prominent positions.

I guess at this point I'm leaning towards a good AVR, so I can utilize the built-in amps for surround and Atmos speakers and use my Sunfiire for driving fronts and center(s). Hopfully using the RCA connections won't intriduce any humming, etc.

Thanks again for the advice!
post #7 of 8 Old 01-27-2020, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Double tap. Forum is acting strange the last few days....
post #8 of 8 Old 01-27-2020, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2276 Post(s)
Liked: 2427
Quote:
@Leeliemix
@skylarlove1999
@sigpig
@eriksells916

Sorry for the delayed response. Too much on my plate atm. Thanks so much for the informative replies!

My budget? I don't really have one other than I'm a lot more frugal with my A/V money than I was back when I bought the Anthem and Sunfire. Today's a/v world, like everything else, is rapidly evolving and I don't want to feel too anchored to my hardware. OTOH, I waited until late 2018 to buy my first 4K TV. My early adopting days are over. Still not over the Blu-ray/HD-DVD war and trying to find a happy median, j/k LOL.

I never thought about not using the built-in subs in the 7001s. I just thought more was better. Do you guys think they are a detriment to room correction/proper LFE? Seems like a waste of space and in/on-walls would make more sense but, the f212’s would stick out like a sore thumb without towers. Maybe I'll experiment with moving them to less prominent positions.

I guess at this point I'm leaning towards a good AVR, so I can utilize the built-in amps for surround and Atmos speakers and use my Sunfiire for driving fronts and center(s). Hopfully using the RCA connections won't intriduce any humming, etc.

Thanks again for the advice!
There are some great deals out there for the Denon 3600 and 4500 right now at some major retailers. I think either one should make a great upgrade to your home theater and won't cost you too much of your spare change.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
eriksells916 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page