Peculiar phantom frequency. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-29-2020, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Peculiar phantom frequency.

I was investigating why some songs sound bad in my setup. Most notably, Sam Fender’s Will we talk sounds like it’s clipping, even at low volumes. But only when playing via iPhone over WiFi to my Prepro. (Spotify or YouTube music, happens with both).

So to investigate I tried to play the test sound from this video to see if it was a problem at certain frequencies that the song may depend on.

If I play this through AirPlay, I hear a second frequency going up and down, between 5khz and 6khz.

Could this be an iPhone flaw (but via the iPhone speaker it doesn’t occur), or something in the network stack of the preprocessor? It’s a marantz av8805.

Tried an iMac via optical out, then it doesn’t happen.

Any ideas? How does the video play on other’s systems via airplay?

Last edited by ijansch; 01-29-2020 at 01:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-29-2020, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Afaik airplay isnt lossless so probably changes the sound somewhat.
Hopefully you will get a much better answer from someone else but to get the ball rolling...
post #3 of 3 Old 01-29-2020, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijansch View Post

If I play this through AirPlay, I hear a second frequency going up and down, between 5khz and 6khz.
It's hard to be certain -- especially since I'm basically unable to hear anything after 4kHz. But with my headphones, I get what you describe -- suddenly, something, that gets loud then quiet, between 7 and 8 kHz for me. Since I can't hear anything >4kHz, I guess that sound is "another frequency" as you note.

I bet this is simply an artifact (e.g. aliasing, probably, or nonlinear effects due to quantization) somewhere in the chain that manifest only when you use AirPlay, and me only with my headphones.

That being said, I don't think this explains why Sam is clipping at low volumes.

Try to bisect the problem... E.g. listen to the same source but without Airplay (e.g. directly on an iDevice or AppleTV wired to your AVR/amp). Is it better/different? If so, then focus on the source. If not, then Airplay is not the culprit. Proceed systematically to isolate the source of the percieved problem. You may find it's something trivial (e.g. output volume of a device set too low or too high, etc.), or a bad connection.

E.g. on my computer, setting volume to 100% clips some content. I'm better at 90%. Also, for some reason, on my bi-wirable towers, the speaker terminals were loose and the connector plate that bridges the bottom and top terminal was not making contact properly, so I was lacking the highs on that speaker. Or the RCA subwoofer cable would detach due to me moving the AVR. Etc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page