Help deciding. USED AVR-X5200W, AVR-X3600h, AVR-X4400H, AVR-X4500H, Onkyo TX-RZ730 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
  • 1 Post By carlobenavidesahavia
  • 2 Post By asabrag
  • 1 Post By asabrag
  • 1 Post By asabrag
  • 1 Post By asabrag
  • 3 Post By spacecowboy
  • 1 Post By spacecowboy

post #1 of 18 Old 01-31-2020, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Question Help deciding. USED AVR-X5200W, AVR-X3600h, AVR-X4400H, AVR-X4500H, Onkyo TX-RZ730

I need help deciding between AVR-X5200W (will purchase HD fury AVR key really getting a good deal on this plus it has 140w per channel but no DTS-X is it really needed or should I just save a little more and just buy the newer models that are more up to date tech wise? Price would be nearly half the price of everything on this list except the Onkyo price will be the same, Never had a denon though so I really want to try it and Audissey), AVR-X3600h, AVR-X4400H, AVR-X4500H, Onkyo TX-RZ730, Pioneer VSX-LX303?

This will be for my bedroom setup. Or if you tell me to wait for black friday and get a better one I will just put this in my main Home theater and put the Pioneer VSX-LX503 in the room instead and my old Pioneer SC-37. Always bought pioneer cus they were always the cheapest with latest tech is the price premium for Denon really worth it? I want at least 5.2.4 in my room 7.2.4 would be a plus.
asabrag likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-31-2020, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I owned Onkyos...to follow the masses that put the Denon+Audyssey high above, on 2016 I ipgraded to the Denon 4300H Audyssey XT32.
God damn masses I had to endure with it till Sep 2019 that I could upgrade to an Onkyo again.

Audyssey is great. Denon's sound compared with Onkyo's suck.

Pioneer/Onkyo its the same nowdays

Last edited by asabrag; 02-01-2020 at 06:17 AM.
post #3 of 18 Old 01-31-2020, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by asabrag View Post
I owned Onkyos...to follow the masses that put the Denon+Audyssey high above, on 2016 I ipgraded to the Denon 4300H Audyssey XT32.
God damn masses I had to endure with it till Sep 2019 that I could upgrade to an Onkyo again.

Audyssey is great. Deno sound compared with Onkyos suck.

I've only had a single Denon AVR, so no context about differences in sound between Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer, etc.

What difference did you detect between the Onknyo and Denon that compelled you to go back to the Onkyo?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 01-31-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMak00 View Post
I've only had a single Denon AVR, so no context about differences in sound between Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer, etc.

What difference did you detect between the Onknyo and Denon that compelled you to go back to the Onkyo?

It cant be explained. Thats why you should audition your next AVR. Preferably at home.

I auditioned at home: Technics, Sony, Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer and I went back to Onkyo.
post #5 of 18 Old 01-31-2020, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Would like to hear your opinion as well.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-31-2020, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
It cant be explained. Thats why you should audition your next AVR. Preferably at home.

I auditioned at home: Technics, Sony, Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer and I went back to Onkyo.

Interesting...do you think it was the brand of the receiver, the room environment, the speakers causing you to detect a difference?
post #7 of 18 Old 02-01-2020, 03:06 AM - Thread Starter

Which onkyo receiver do you have damn if it's good I will just be going with Onkyo they always have tons of discounts. and this particular receiver I can get for 400usd.

Quote:

Audyssey is great. Deno sound compared with Onkyos suck.

asabrag likes this.
post #8 of 18 Old 02-01-2020, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlobenavidesahavia View Post
Which onkyo receiver do you have damn if it's good I will just be going with Onkyo they always have tons of discounts. and this particular receiver I can get for 400usd.
Ive had the HTIAB 3505, then the 646, now the 840.
Between the 646 and the RZ840 I had the Yamaha 681, Denon 4300H, Pioneer 932.
post #9 of 18 Old 02-01-2020, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Would you think the 730 or 740 is any good for a room receiver just gonna add a stereo amp to get the 2 extra heights. It's only 100 watts though but it should probably be enough for the bedroom....

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
post #10 of 18 Old 02-01-2020, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ive had the HTIAB 3505, then the 646, now the 840.
Between the 646 and the RZ840 I had the Yamaha 681, Denon 4300H, Pioneer 932.
Onkyo TX-RZ730 this is the model.

asabrag likes this.
post #11 of 18 Old 02-01-2020, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Would you think the 730 or 740 is any good for a room receiver just gonna add a stereo amp to get the 2 extra heights. It's only 100 watts though but it should probably be enough for the bedroom....

rz730 is heavily discounted compared to the bigger brother rz830/840 and cousin Pioneer lx503/504.

The new rz740/840 have the updated hdmi boards and circuits if you are worried about their past failures re-appearing?

Neither the rz730 nor rz740 got the earc update, if that matters?

The rz730/740/830/840 have accueq advanced which doesn't allow independent dual sub control. However that can be alleviated with a mini-dsp and umik/rew.

The cousin Pioneer lx303/304/503 and 504 have mcacc which has a universal crossover and no dual sub control.

I have old Integra gear and like the sound, but I have not heard any of the new Onkyo's.

Hope that helps!
post #12 of 18 Old 02-01-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Onkyo TX-RZ730 this is the model.

I tend to buy the last model to gain at least a year update in advance of the future. But either will do.
eriksells916 likes this.
post #13 of 18 Old 02-01-2020, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

What is earc? Will earc make my receiver not work with atmos or shield just going with HEVC high bit rate files played through a shield.

I might get a refurbished 740 straight from onkyo they probably fixed the HDMI problem before sending out right?

No problem with dual sub will purchase a mini-dsp for this setup if I do add a sub. Already have the Mini-dsp for the main and UMIK REW

I already bought a lx503 for my main living room setup will basically be putting all my left over speakers from the main setup transfer it to the bedroom and added a BIC F12.

Is Integra made by Onkyo as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksells916 View Post
rz730 is heavily discounted compared to the bigger brother rz830/840 and cousin Pioneer lx503/504.

The new rz740/840 have the updated hdmi boards and circuits if you are worried about their past failures re-appearing?

Neither the rz730 nor rz740 got the earc update, if that matters?

The rz730/740/830/840 have accueq advanced which doesn't allow independent dual sub control. However that can be alleviated with a mini-dsp and umik/rew.

The cousin Pioneer lx303/304/503 and 504 have mcacc which has a universal crossover and no dual sub control.

I have old Integra gear and like the sound, but I have not heard any of the new Onkyo's.

Hope that helps!
post #14 of 18 Old 02-01-2020, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 254
@carlobenavidesahavia

Not sure there are any issues with the new hdmi boards, but getting a refurb through AC4L or onkyo saves a bunch of $$.

mini-dsp will help

yea rz740 might even be overkill for a bedroom setup. You could do the nr797 for that setup

yes Integra is under Onkyo, supposed to be like the lexus of toyota or the new rz series vs the nr series
post #15 of 18 Old 02-02-2020, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMak00 View Post

Quote:

As someone with in-home experience with them all, I can explain ... In my experience, Denon is very Audessey dependent. Basically, you are forced to be satisfied with the Audessey results because if you disable it, you find that there is nothing special about the Denon sound; it's a very bland, veiled, and uninspiring sound with rolled off highs from my experience. If you happen to encounter room correction issues and opt to disable Audessey like some do with MCACC, AccuEq, YPAO, or any other room correction, you are left with a literal hot mess with regards to sound quality, and the fact that they run somewhat hot. Most of the recent receivers I've had from Pioneer Elite, Yamaha, and Onkyo exhibit a base signature in sound quality (some, a unique signature quality) that is satisfying when independent of room correction whereas Denon does not in my opinion. In other words, with the likes of Yamaha, Onkyo, and Pioneer, you can turn off room correction and manually set everything with satisfactory results. With Denon, you have to keep Audessey engaged which is why Denon loyalists shout Audessey, Audessey, Audessey from the rooftops. On top of this, you pay a premium for Audessey licensing. Honestly, I can't speak for the Denon flagship AVR-8XXX, but for the price I would hope it to be different from the mid-range and lower Denons.

"Excuse me...What does God need with a Starship?" (Captain Kirk - Star Trek V: The Final Frontier)
post #16 of 18 Old 02-02-2020, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Would using REW and minidsp on all speakers be better than Audessey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecowboy View Post
As someone with in-home experience with them all, I can explain ... In my experience, Denon is very Audessey dependent. Basically, you are forced to be satisfied with the Audessey results because if you disable it, you find that there is nothing special about the Denon sound; it's a very bland, veiled, and uninspiring sound with rolled off highs from my experience. If you happen to encounter room correction issues and opt to disable Audessey like some do with MCACC, AccuEq, YPAO, or any other room correction, you are left with a literal hot mess with regards to sound quality, and the fact that they run somewhat hot. Most of the recent receivers I've had from Pioneer Elite, Yamaha, and Onkyo exhibit a base signature in sound quality (some, a unique signature quality) that is satisfying when independent of room correction whereas Denon does not in my opinion. In other words, with the likes of Yamaha, Onkyo, and Pioneer, you can turn off room correction and manually set everything with satisfactory results. With Denon, you have to keep Audessey engaged which is why Denon loyalists shout Audessey, Audessey, Audessey from the rooftops. On top of this, you pay a premium for Audessey licensing. Honestly, I can't speak for the Denon flagship AVR-8XXX, but for the price I would hope it to be different from the mid-range and lower Denons.
post #17 of 18 Old 02-02-2020, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Would using REW and minidsp on all speakers be better than Audessey?
Results vary from situation to situation. Absolutely nothing wrong with Audessey. If you like what it does, it is no better or worse than any of the other room correct software with the advantage of what it does for your subwoofer(s),but it never hurts to learn REW and how to treat your room instead of being a slave to any of the manufacturers room correction programs.
Jay Mammoth likes this.

"Excuse me...What does God need with a Starship?" (Captain Kirk - Star Trek V: The Final Frontier)
post #18 of 18 Old 02-11-2020, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
What did you decide on? I'm looking at pretty much the same receivers right now for my living room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page