AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Receivers, Amps, and Processors (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/)
-   -   The Official NAD T 778 Thread (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/3123286-official-nad-t-778-thread.html)

HTNUT1975 02-14-2020 06:51 AM

The Official NAD T 778 Thread

NAD has started shipping its new flagship AVR, the T 778. I’ve been waiting for its release for quite some time, now, and the day has come! So, naturally, I stroll on down to the AVS Forum, gleefully expecting a thread dedicated to this new beast, but nothing pops up. How can this be? I guess I’ll start one (hopefully I’m not breaking any forum conventions here). Here are some of the features highlighted in its news released:

- 9 channels of NAD’s latest Hybrid Digital Amplifier Technology
- New touch screen and improved ergonomics for user-friendly operation
- 4K UHD video pass-through
- High-Res BluOS enabled Network Streaming
- Dirac Live Room Correction
- MDC (Modular Design Construction) offers ability to upgrade to future digital formats as they become available. Two MDC slots provided.
- CI friendly- RS232 Serial Control Port. Trigger In/Out.
- IR In with learning function

https://nadelectronics.com/nad-annou...-now-shipping/

One of the main reasons I have held off buying a Dirac AVR was for the compatibility issue with Dirac’s new Bass Management module. From what I understand, the new 778 will have that compatibility. I’d love to hear other’s thoughts on it.

HTNUT1975 02-14-2020 08:43 AM

Here are a couple of quick videos from CES 2020 on the T 778:

eriksells916 02-14-2020 11:58 AM

@HTNUT1975 I thought I saw a lot of disappointed 758 v3 owners posting they would not be getting the module. I think the 777v3 was the lowest model to be compatible?

ultra 150 pilot 02-14-2020 04:59 PM

This looks like a nice receiver! I don’t live far from safe and sound, I will have to swing by there and check this out!

Bob

MaxTemp 02-14-2020 10:22 PM

I dont think its compatible with the bass management module but another feature is the amps are assignable.

HTNUT1975 02-15-2020 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxTemp (Post 59247792)
I dont think its compatible with the bass management module but another feature is the amps are assignable.

@eriksells916 From what I read quite some time ago, it will support the bass management module. In the following link, the author states as much:

"I understand that DIRAC Live Bass Management will be supported as a paid additional upgrade for the T778."

https://hometheaterhifi.com/features...show-coverage/

I know there are two expandable MDC (Modular Design Construction) slots to the unit, so I suppose it is possible that an additional unit(s) would be required to fully support discrete subwoofer outputs if the internal sub outputs aren't discrete? (I'm speculating, here.) Several months ago, someone had contacted NAD about BM support for the 777/758, and they were told that those units don't support bass management because of the hardware limitation. Given that all are modular, I suppose all could theoretically expand for bass management. My understanding is the T 778 is built on a "completely different platform" and is starting from scratch. It doesn't really make sense to include the possibility of Dirac Bass Management in the M10 and C658 but not the new "flagship" Home Theater AVR (one could argue that the need for such a bass management module is considerably higher for home theater demands).

eriksells916 02-15-2020 09:49 AM

@HTNUT1975 yes thanks. Too bad the 758v3 is on sale for a good price

tebling 02-15-2020 01:42 PM

Thanks for starting this thread. I have a T778 pre-ordered from SafeAndSound, who are offering a nice pre-order discount from the retail price. No ETA, but I'd expect it to ship within the next week or two.

When I asked NAD support about Dirac Live Bass Management on the T778, they responded with:

"As for DIRAC Bass Management; We are very pleased with our current integration of DIRAC Live and continue to have great conversations with DIRAC and their business development team. The T778 (and other products) do not have Bass Management at this time but it is something we do hope to add in a future software update. I, unfortunately, do not have time frames we can share at this time."

It's a fairly non-committal statement, but at least they're not ruling it out.

HTNUT1975 02-15-2020 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tebling (Post 59250472)
Thanks for starting this thread. I have a T778 pre-ordered from SafeAndSound, who are offering a nice pre-order discount from the retail price. No ETA, but I'd expect it to ship within the next week or two.

When I asked NAD support about Dirac Live Bass Management on the T778, they responded with:

"As for DIRAC Bass Management; We are very pleased with our current integration of DIRAC Live and continue to have great conversations with DIRAC and their business development team. The T778 (and other products) do not have Bass Management at this time but it is something we do hope to add in a future software update. I, unfortunately, do not have time frames we can share at this time."

It's a fairly non-committal statement, but at least they're not ruling it out.

Sounds like they've been surfing the Emotiva forum. ;-)

Wise move, IMHO. If I were to read between the lines, it sounds like there probably isn't going to be a hardware issue that is in the way of the bass management module. I notice they point out to a "software update" enabling bass management. The bass management module (or lack thereof) is what will be the deciding factor for what/when I bite. Did you have a different NAD product prior to this one you'll be getting? I ask because that would be cool to hear about a comparison to prior equipment.

Another question I'd like answered is whether the subwoofer outs are discrete.

torii 02-15-2020 03:55 PM

Im in the market for a new avr but holding off for hdmi 2.1 to hopefully use with my c9 oled and the new ps5. does this nad avr

have the ability to support my plan? 4k 120hz

HTNUT1975 02-15-2020 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by torii (Post 59251016)
Im in the market for a new avr but holding off for hdmi 2.1 to hopefully use with my c9 oled and the new ps5. does this nad avr

have the ability to support my plan? 4k 120hz

I can't find any answer on that one. I've been wondering the same.

tebling 02-15-2020 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HTNUT1975 (Post 59251002)
If I were to read between the lines, it sounds like there probably isn't going to be a hardware issue that is in the way of the bass management module. I notice they point out to a "software update" enabling bass management.

Quote:

Another question I'd like answered is whether the subwoofer outs are discrete.
I think your statements here are related. I'm betting the lack of discrete sub pre-outs is a possible reason that the current gen AVRs (T758v3 and T777v3) won't support Dirac BM. I'm also betting that the T778 does have discrete sub outs in order to accommodate Dirac BM. Fingers crossed!

Quote:

Did you have a different NAD product prior to this one you'll be getting? I ask because that would be cool to hear about a comparison to prior equipment.
I'm coming from a T777v3, which has served me very well. It's not going to be a day and night difference, but the additional two channels of amplification (I'm running 5.1.4 so this should power everything), better DAC, front display, lighter weight, and rack form factor should all add up to a nice upgrade. Dirac BM would be a very nice bonus, but it's not a deal breaker.

HTNUT1975 02-20-2020 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tebling (Post 59251772)
I think your statements here are related. I'm betting the lack of discrete sub pre-outs is a possible reason that the current gen AVRs (T758v3 and T777v3) won't support Dirac BM. I'm also betting that the T778 does have discrete sub outs in order to accommodate Dirac BM. Fingers crossed!

So I think the answer to whether the T 778 has two discrete sub outs is given in the pre-release literature. This is something I didn't catch, but if you look at the downloadable spec sheet under the surround sound section, it states, "The T 778 carries on the enviable task of representing NAD’s finest surround sound performance. It offers full HDMI video switching and surround sound decoding to 7.2.4 channels." Whereas, the T 777 sheet says under the Atmos section, "There are many options for creating the perfect Dolby Atmos theatre using the internal amplifiers for a 5.1.2 system, or adding external amplifiers to create a 7.1.4 speaker array." Sounds like good news to me!

tebling 02-20-2020 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HTNUT1975 (Post 59272644)
So I think the answer to whether the T 778 has two discrete sub outs is given in the pre-release literature.

Great catch! That does indeed sound like good news.

Still no ETA or word on dealers having stock, but I hope that changes and the mystery gets solved soon! :)

HTNUT1975 02-20-2020 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tebling (Post 59272696)

Still no ETA or word on dealers having stock, but I hope that changes and the mystery gets solved soon! :)

I look forward to plenty of pics and comparisons when you get yours.

mhconley 02-21-2020 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tebling (Post 59272696)

Indeed it does:
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/wp-...ion-Rear-1.jpg

tebling 02-21-2020 03:09 PM

Stolen from a post in the other T778 thread, here's a first look / review translated from French:

https://translate.google.com/transla...st-nad-t778%2F

HTNUT1975 02-21-2020 07:16 PM

So I didn’t realize the other thread was really going until after this one was started! Oh well. That really is a great looking unit—better than anticipated even from the literature. I have a subwoofer undergoing repair at my dealer. May have to make some kind of down payment on this. lol

Brian-HD 02-22-2020 03:58 AM

I am looking to go from the 758 v3 to the 778. I am not sure if I should get now or wait till the end of the year. I am curious of some of preorder prices.

Thanks

MaxTemp 02-24-2020 07:29 AM

tebling 02-24-2020 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxTemp (Post 59289404)

Very exciting! Looks like I have a lot to read today :) Hopefully this means they're shipping this week.

First observation is that nowhere in the manual or quick start guide does it mention that rack ears are included. The review in French did show them in the box though, so hopefully that's just an oversight.

HTNUT1975 02-24-2020 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxTemp (Post 59289404)

How did I miss this?! IOt was my day off as well!!! Oh well. Thanks for the heads-up!

tebling 02-24-2020 09:24 PM

Just finished reading through the manual. Overall, the user interface is almost identical to the T777v3, with the following exceptions:

• Front panel display brightness control, with three levels (dim, normal, bright)
  • Front panel "temporary" mode: allows the front panel display to turn off after 30 seconds of UI inactivity - otherwise the front panel remains on continuously
  • Temperature and fan speed readouts. I'm pretty sure that's new.

It's going to be interesting to see what else gets added over time via updates, but it's clear that for now they're sticking with what's worked on the previous generation of AVRs.

tebling 02-26-2020 02:50 PM

Someone in Australia already got their 778! Still no word on US shipments... :confused:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/nad...ce-noise/95936

tebling 02-27-2020 07:38 AM

A NAD dealer in the UK just received their 778s:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/new...#post-27806968

tebling 02-27-2020 02:41 PM

Finally broke down and called to check whether there was an updated ETA on my pre-order. The latest update is that units have cleared US customs, allocations have been made, and dealers in the US will start receiving them over the next week or two.

Can you tell I'm excited?!

erick granato 02-27-2020 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tebling (Post 59304874)
Finally broke down and called to check whether there was an updated ETA on my pre-order. The latest update is that units have cleared US customs, allocations have been made, and dealers in the US will start receiving them over the next week or two.

Can you tell I'm excited?!

Hey Man, fill your boots! That's what this hobby is all about! Rock on, brother and congratulations!

nakkiran 02-27-2020 11:00 PM

a NAD dealer in South Africa has also received their first shipment: https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php...html#msg975396

HTNUT1975 02-28-2020 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nakkiran (Post 59306380)
a NAD dealer in South Africa has also received their first shipment: https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php...html#msg975396

Here's what he said after first opening and then working with the unit:

Ok so to soon for a review but first impressions....holy balls! This thing is cool.
I will update some pics soon just still calibrating. First thing is the size, its not big and i dont know how they get the power out of this thing but it has big brass balls i tell you. Much more detail and headroom then the 777. Next the touch screen is so cool. You browse it just like you would a ipad. It shows you the temp of every part of the amp also plus uv meters and content. Worth every penny...o and yes still makes normal receivers sound like receivers and this sound like a high end dac with MQA.

bootster 02-28-2020 07:00 PM

I would assume that the weight difference is due to the hybrid digital amplifiers, correct? The T778 weighs in at approximately half that of the T777 v3. I am intrigued about how these newer amplifiers sound, and the overall difference in the ease of navigation through the touchscreen vs the "Clumsy" menu of the T777 v3. I hope they brought back the ability to see and hear what you are changing in the menu in real time. That's one thing I really missed that the T758 had. Somehow I feel that NAD has gone back to a better menu system, or at least I hoped they did.

The touchscreen on the unit itself is sort of a gimmick, as no one will be getting up to fiddle with the touchscreen every time they want to change something. I wonder if the remote is a duplicate of the touchscreen on the front of the unit itself? Perhaps an app to navigate the menu from a phone or laptop/tablet?