Upgrading my AVR because of dual subs? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By dkushner

post #1 of 4 Old 02-14-2020, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Upgrading my AVR because of dual subs?

I recently purchased a second svs PB12-NSD and trying to determine if upgrading is a good idea. Right now I own a Denon 720w which has Audessey bronze (entry level?) It does have dual subs outputs but they are just bridged. I see the x3500 can be had for $550. The major feature differences would be Audessey xt32 and the dual independent sub outs as well as the Audessey sub eq ht. Do you see any reason to upgrade right now for basically the Audessey features?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-14-2020, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Down the rabbit hole we go. No need to upgrade receivers if you are staying with 7 channels. Place the 2 subs equal distance from the mlp or get a minidsp with umik for much less than a new receiver.

What kind of speakers do you have? Is this for 2 channel listening or 5.1.2 atmos theater? Do you not have enough bass for your room? Are you trying to fix a large null with a second sub?
post #3 of 4 Old 02-14-2020, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstutman View Post
I recently purchased a second svs PB12-NSD and trying to determine if upgrading is a good idea. Right now I own a Denon 720w which has Audessey bronze (entry level?) It does have dual subs outputs but they are just bridged. I see the x3500 can be had for $550. The major feature differences would be Audessey xt32 and the dual independent sub outs as well as the Audessey sub eq ht. Do you see any reason to upgrade right now for basically the Audessey features?
I think the 3500 (1/2 off right now) might be a great upgrade for you. I just upgraded from a 2312CI to a 3500, added a second sub, 2 Outlaw 2200 outboard monoblocks, and I’m very pleased.

I wouldn’t buy a new receiver without dual independent sub-outs, pre-outs, or anything less than Audyssey XT32 room correction.
residentsystems likes this.

2.2, B&W 683 S2 towers, SVS SB-3000, SVS SB12-NSD, Outlaw 2200 monoblocks, Denon X3500H

Last edited by dkushner; 02-15-2020 at 12:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 02-14-2020, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 42
If you're happy with the receiver, get a MiniDSP 2x4HD and umik-1 instead. Less money, much better sub optimization after spending some time with REW.

MiniDSP 2x4HD, UMIK-1, REW... The holy trinity for running multiple subs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page