AC Infinity T10 AIRCOM with Denon Test and Results, not so good.. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By console
  • 1 Post By Leeliemix
  • 1 Post By Wayne A. Pflughaupt

post #1 of 24 Old 02-15-2020, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
AC Infinity T10 AIRCOM with Denon Test and Results, FLIR PICS..

What started the whole thing was I was board and looking for a cooling solution for my Denon 6500 that was quieter and more efficient then my make-shift single fan. There are a few choices out there but they get expensive for no more than what they do. Long story short after reading many others threads about cooling, often times the DIY route seems to work out the best, as in my case.

I have an open front AV "closet" that measures 2'x3'. The closet is behind my screen facing outward to the left so the noise from the equipment can be a little much for quite scenes as it bounces around the corner. There is no issue of heat build up in the area as the ceiling is also open to a large soffit. There is about 5 in above the receiver and about 3" on either side. I plan on putting up heavy masking curtains to muffle some of the sound in the future. My theater is basically dedicated to movies. I generally listen at very high volumes and the on screen indicator for energy usage is always above 50% to 75%.

Equipment (relative to heat production):
Denon AVR6500H using every channel and the two pre-outs. Video goes to an Epson Pro 6050UB 4K
Behringer NX6000D pushing 2 18" full Marty's.
There's more but are irrelevant to this test.

AC Infinity AIRCOM T10 front exhaust.
VS
Single 4in Sunon 120v 0.13amp fan.

Test equipment:
Dual band temperature reader. To remain un-named.
Two J type thermocouples, response time about 0.5 sec.

Updated with FLIR pictures of no fan and with Fan. Also some FLIR pics of the projector...In hind sight I should have taken pictures with my FLIR...I could update this post with FLIR pictures of the single fan if anyone cares as I have already packed up the AIRCOM for return..

For the tests I played Matrix Reloaded 4K at a volume of 65 to 68. Most readings were during the Zion cave dance or courtyard battle with Smith. I took amperage readings for the receiver and amp but they were pretty much the same for either cooling method. I placed the thermocouples on the surface of the receiver in the two locations I know to be the warmest. Ambient air in the room and "closet" was a steady 68-69 degrees, according to another small reader I had placed a few feet away.

Results-
AIRCOM-
To test the recovery I left the AIRCOM off and let the receiver warm up to 99 and then turned it on in AUTO. This did not take long since when off the AIRCOM is like placing a blanket on the receiver. The AIRCOM brought the temps down to 80 in about 3 min. After some time at a lower volume to let the receiver cool I continued the test. I tried the Auto and Smart modes throughout the rest of the movie. I left the temperature set to 80 for either mode and set the variance to 2 degrees vs the factory 4. During heavy action scenes the AIRCOM seemed to maintain the 80 degrees with max fan speed, and would continue to run at max long after the scenes were finished. In smart mode the temp. hardly dropped between scenes for the fans to decrease speed. There were a few times it dropped to the lowest setting but not for long. My reader confirmed this as it read 79 for the front corner and 71 for the back. After one of the long scenes I could start to smell the Denon getting hot! I lifted the AIRCOM and felt the top of the receiver and was shocked it was very hot in the front center, near its thermocouple and very warm in a few other spots. This is where I'm sure the FLIR would have shown the temperature variations on the surface of the Denon.

Single fan placed front mid center-
I re-ran the movie and monitored the same scenes. The fan runs at one speed constantly so there's no settings obviously. During the entire movie the surface temperatures of the receiver never went above 72. At any time I could place my hand anywhere on the top or sides and not feel a single warm spot. The air coming off the fan was warm but never hot.

Overall the AIRCOM is heavy and built very well, you could confidently place other things on top of it. The variable fan speeds and setting options are nice. If there are long delays between high demands, and the fans are in the right spot for your application it would work. For me the on and off sound would be just as annoying as if it were to stay on. The location of the fans does not work well for the Denon 6500. This combined with the fact the entire bottom is closed except for the fan openings doesn't allow any air movement elsewhere. The AIRCOM is only going to pull air in from the sides perpendicular to the fan openings. This is not where the heat is generated from at all for this receiver. If the AIRCOM had a plus or T configuration of fans combined with a perforated bottom it would have me sold. One or two well placed fans are far better for this comparison. The AC Infinity AIRCOM S7 12 would probably do the trick, but is going to let the receiver fluctuate between 84 and 88 degrees. For me the cost of running and the noise produced of a single or dual constant running fan to keep the temperature around 72 is worth it..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200214_200721 (1).jpg
Views:	101
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	2685180   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200214_213437 (1).jpg
Views:	95
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	2685182   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200214_213516 (1).jpg
Views:	103
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	2685184   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200214_214556 (1).jpg
Views:	100
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	2685186   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200214_214731 (1).jpg
Views:	91
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	2685188  

Name:	FLIR0089.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	2686006   Click image for larger version

Name:	FLIR0091.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	2686008   Click image for larger version

Name:	FLIR0098.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	2686010   Click image for larger version

Name:	FLIR0092.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	2686012   Click image for larger version

Name:	FLIR0094.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	2686014  

Name:	FLIR0096.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	2686016  

Last edited by Imjaybird; 02-16-2020 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Update title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 02-15-2020, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imjaybird View Post
What started the whole thing was I was board and looking for a cooling solution for my Denon 6500 that was quieter and more efficient then my make-shift single fan. There are a few choices out there but they get expensive for no more than what they do. Long story short after reading many others threads about cooling, often times the DIY route seems to work out the best, as in my case.

I have an open front AV "closet" that measures 2'x3'. The closet is behind my screen facing outward to the left so the noise from the equipment can be a little much for quite scenes as it bounces around the corner. There is no issue of heat build up in the area as the ceiling is also open to a large soffit. There is about 5 in above the receiver and about 3" on either side. I plan on putting up heavy masking curtains to muffle some of the sound in the future. My theater is basically dedicated to movies. I generally listen at very high volumes and the on screen indicator for energy usage is always above 50% to 75%.

Equipment (relative to heat production):
Denon AVR6500H using every channel and the two pre-outs. Video goes to an Epson Pro 6050UB 4K
Behringer NX6000D pushing 2 18" full Marty's.
There's more but are irrelevant to this test.

AC Infinity AIRCOM T10 front exhaust.
VS
Single 4in Sunon 120v 0.13amp fan.

Test equipment:
Dual band temperature reader. To remain un-named.
Two J type thermocouples, response time about 0.5 sec.

In hind sight I should have taken pictures with my FLIR...I could update this post with FLIR pictures of the single fan if anyone cares as I have already packed up the AIRCOM for return..

For the tests I played Matrix Reloaded 4K at a volume of 65 to 68. Most readings were during the Zion cave dance or courtyard battle with Smith. I took amperage readings for the receiver and amp but they were pretty much the same for either cooling method. I placed the thermocouples on the surface of the receiver in the two locations I know to be the warmest. Ambient air in the room and "closet" was a steady 68-69 degrees, according to another small reader I had placed a few feet away.

Results-
AIRCOM-
To test the recovery I left the AIRCOM off and let the receiver warm up to 99 and then turned it on in AUTO. This did not take long since when off the AIRCOM is like placing a blanket on the receiver. The AIRCOM brought the temps down to 80 in about 3 min. After some time at a lower volume to let the receiver cool I continued the test. I tried the Auto and Smart modes throughout the rest of the movie. I left the temperature set to 80 for either mode and set the variance to 2 degrees vs the factory 4. During heavy action scenes the AIRCOM seemed to maintain the 80 degrees with max fan speed, and would continue to run at max long after the scenes were finished. In smart mode the temp. hardly dropped between scenes for the fans to decrease speed. There were a few times it dropped to the lowest setting but not for long. My reader confirmed this as it read 79 for the front corner and 71 for the back. After one of the long scenes I could start to smell the Denon getting hot! I lifted the AIRCOM and felt the top of the receiver and was shocked it was very hot in the front center, near its thermocouple and very warm in a few other spots. This is where I'm sure the FLIR would have shown the temperature variations on the surface of the Denon.

Single fan placed front mid center-
I re-ran the movie and monitored the same scenes. The fan runs at one speed constantly so there's no settings obviously. During the entire movie the surface temperatures of the receiver never went above 72. At any time I could place my hand anywhere on the top or sides and not feel a single warm spot. The air coming off the fan was warm but never hot.

Overall the AIRCOM is heavy and built very well, you could confidently place other things on top of it. The variable fan speeds and setting options are nice. If there are long delays between high demands, and the fans are in the right spot for your application it would work. For me the on and off sound would be just as annoying as if it were to stay on. The location of the fans does not work well for the Denon 6500. This combined with the fact the entire bottom is closed except for the fan openings doesn't allow any air movement elsewhere. The AIRCOM is only going to pull air in from the sides perpendicular to the fan openings. This is not where the heat is generated from at all for this receiver. If the AIRCOM had a plus or T configuration of fans combined with a perforated bottom it would have me sold. One or two well placed fans are far better for this comparison. The AC Infinity AIRCOM S7 12 would probably do the trick, but is going to let the receiver fluctuate between 84 and 88 degrees. For me the cost of running and the noise produced of a single or dual constant running fan to keep the temperature around 72 is worth it..
Very helpful analysis/review! I have been considering the T8 to sit on top of my Marantz AV8805. I have 1.75"+ of space between top of Marantz and underside of next up shelf. The T8 would fill that space nicely but then there is 0" natural vent space, and I've been concerned about the "blanket" affect you mention and that I'm then 100% reliant on Aircom for venting with unit itself blocking all "natural" air flow. And then there is the issue of the Aircom fans not aligning well with the actual hot spots of the Marantz chassis.

All this makes agree with you that strategically placed individual fans are the way to go. Not as aesthetically perfect, but as they say, Form Follows Function.

Thanks for your analysis.
Imjaybird likes this.
post #3 of 24 Old 02-15-2020, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by console View Post
Very helpful analysis/review! I have been considering the T8 to sit on top of my Marantz AV8805. I have 1.75"+ of space between top of Marantz and underside of next up shelf. The T8 would fill that space nicely but then there is 0" natural vent space, and I've been concerned about the "blanket" affect you mention and that I'm then 100% reliant on Aircom for venting with unit itself blocking all "natural" air flow. And then there is the issue of the Aircom fans not aligning well with the actual hot spots of the Marantz chassis.

All this makes agree with you that strategically placed individual fans are the way to go. Not as aesthetically perfect, but as they say, Form Follows Function.

Thanks for your analysis.

I use a t8 on top of my av8805 and since it doesnt have any power amp stages it keeps a much more steady temperature even if surprisingly hot for a processor. Auto with minimum speed is plenty to keep the 8805 at a decent temperature so its very quiet. Not saying a single fan wont do well, im sure it will and cheaper, but the t8 will also work well in your situation which is very different from the OPs situation. A fan sucking a lot of air directly through can add a lot of dust, it doesnt have to but it can.

It is great to read this test though, it gives a lot of good information.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 02-15-2020, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeliemix View Post
I use a t8 on top of my av8805 and since it doesnt have any power amp stages it keeps a much more steady temperature even if surprisingly hot for a processor. Auto with minimum speed is plenty to keep the 8805 at a decent temperature so its very quiet. Not saying a single fan wont do well, im sure it will and cheaper, but the t8 will also work well in your situation which is very different from the OPs situation. A fan sucking a lot of air directly through can add a lot of dust, it doesnt have to but it can.

It is great to read this test though, it gives a lot of good information.

Thanks, and yea my situation is probably more intense then others as I should value my hearing more hahaha. The 8805 only has perf toward the back half so how well do the fans line up with them since the T8 fans are centered?
Yes, any fan will introduce dust, I would hope my leaf blower power fan doesn't let it accumulate as fast or as much as a PWM fan. Guess I'll have to start looking into liquid cooled I still feel one or even two of the S6 or S7 models would be better as they are not going to block a large area of the top of the AVR and can be placed directly over where they are needed.
post #5 of 24 Old 02-15-2020, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, and yea my situation is probably more intense then others as I should value my hearing more hahaha. The 8805 only has perf toward the back half so how well do the fans line up with them since the T8 fans are centered?

Yes, any fan will introduce dust, I would hope my leaf blower power fan doesn't let it accumulate as fast or as much as a PWM fan. Guess I'll have to start looking into liquid cooled I still feel one or even two of the S6 or S7 models would be better as they are not going to block a large area of the top of the AVR and can be placed directly over where they are needed.

The 8805 without amp sections dont get very hot so a little extra through the perfs and cooling the top plate is enough, the t8 doesnt work hard at all. Many other options would work well also.
I never turn the 8805 off so for me its practical to have something very quiet that doesnt run constantly. If i needed more cooling and higher fan speeds than minimum i might have gone with just a fan instead as im very sensitive to sounds when i want it quiet. It is funny how i have cooling on my processor but not my amp
Imjaybird likes this.
post #6 of 24 Old 02-16-2020, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Interesting and well-thought-out review!

Fortunately the T10 works great for my particular receiver, which gets too hot to touch under normal operating conditions. Thus I never hear the turn-on and -off situation, because when it comes on it stays on.

I’d never thought about the receiver’s heat-generating locations relative to the Aircom’s fan layout. I’m fortunate that it works perfectly for my current receiver, but it’s something I’ll definitely have to keep in mind with trade-up time comes.

Again, thanks for the review!

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Imjaybird likes this.

Equipment List
"A nice mid-fi system," according to an audiophile acquaintance.

Reviews and Tech Articles
post #7 of 24 Old 02-16-2020, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
It's true the AV8805 is surprisingly hot for a processor. My McIntosh Amps, which are above and below the Marantz, don't get nearly as hot. Can you explain further what you mean by "a fan sucking a lot of air directly through can add a lot of dust"? Are you talking about with something like a T8 or individual fans or both?

Quote:
The 8805 without amp sections dont get very hot so a little extra through the perfs and cooling the top plate is enough, the t8 doesnt work hard at all. Many other options would work well also.
I never turn the 8805 off so for me its practical to have something very quiet that doesnt run constantly. If i needed more cooling and higher fan speeds than minimum i might have gone with just a fan instead as im very sensitive to sounds when i want it quiet. It is funny how i have cooling on my processor but not my amp
Funny you say in previous post that processor is "surprisingly hot" and now you say that it "doesn't get very hot". Curious why you never turn your 8805 off?

In my "rack" (attached) there is just enough space to literally squeeze a T8 above the AV8805. So is it recommended to close up that space entirely and rely 100% on the cooling abilities of the T8? Do you think that 1.5" space is adequate for no forced air venting? It's all open in back (and front) with space on the sides. But, as you say, processor does get "surprisingly warm-hot".

Also do you set your T8 to turn on at a specific temperature? What do you use?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AV Rack 1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	2685894  

Last edited by console; 02-16-2020 at 04:07 PM.
post #8 of 24 Old 02-16-2020, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by console View Post
It's true the AV8805 is surprisingly hot for a processor. My McIntosh Amps, which are above and below the Marantz, don't get nearly as hot. Can you explain further what you mean by "a fan sucking a lot of air directly through can add a lot of dust"? Are you talking about with something like a T8 or individual fans or both?

Funny you say in previous post that processor is "surprisingly hot" and now you say that it "doesn't get very hot". Curious why you never turn your 8805 off?

In my "rack" (attached) there is just enough space to literally squeeze a T8 above the AV8805. So is it recommended to close up that space entirely and rely 100% on the cooling abilities of the T8? Do you think that 1.5" space is adequate for no forced air venting? It's all open in back (and front) with space on the sides. But, as you say, processor does get "surprisingly warm-hot".

Also do you set your T8 to turn on at a specific temperature? What do you use?

A fan completly flush sucking air through the air vents on the 8805 would draw more dust through it compared to the t8 which doesnt suck as much through but draws a part of the air over the top plate. If you dont have a lot of dust it doesnt matter much but i do so for me i get less dust inside the processor.

Surprisingly hot compared to some earlier processors and the power amp. It does not get nearly as hot as AVRs do, but i like to cool it a little just in case. Two reasons, i like to keep the system warm and ready so i dont have to wait as long for the system to warm up. And more recently i wake up to internet radio from a bluesound node2.

I dont really know what would be the best for your setup so cant say what would be the needed for your rack in your environment, it looks to need some cooling because its fairly closed thats for sure. The t8 has been very reliable for me and ive had it for a bit over a year and a half.

I use minimum speed as max and auto, this way its the quietest i can make it and it keeps the temperature nice and cool. I have it set to start at 31c so its usually at 30c with fairly short fan run times unless its very warm during summer, then it spins up a bit more often. I have never needed more than minimum speed but its not very hot here in Norway.

post #9 of 24 Old 02-16-2020, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

I added some pictures of the receiver running with out a fan for about 10 min and again after about just 3 min of the fan on. Sorry no FLIR of the AIRCOM. I also took some shots of the projector and it's output vent..

Last edited by Imjaybird; 02-16-2020 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Typo
post #10 of 24 Old 02-17-2020, 12:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I added some pictures of the receiver running with out a fan for about 10 min and again after about just 3 min of the fan on. Sorry no FLIR of the AIRCOM. I also took some shots of the projector and it's output vent..

Nice images, not many can take FLIR pictures and that PJ sure gets hot too.
post #11 of 24 Old 02-17-2020, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Nice images, not many can take FLIR pictures and that PJ sure gets hot too.
Thanks and yes I need start looking at cooling mods for the PJ now since I can see how hot it actually is.
post #12 of 24 Old 02-17-2020, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Story after story of Denon & Marantz space heaters. Dust accumulations on the inside components only exacerbate the problem by minimizing the ability of the components to cool.

"Excuse me...What does God need with a Starship?" (Captain Kirk - Star Trek V: The Final Frontier)
post #13 of 24 Old 02-17-2020, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecowboy View Post
Story after story of Denon & Marantz space heaters. Dust accumulations on the inside components only exacerbate the problem by minimizing the ability of the components to cool.
Thankfully I don't have a large amount of dust since my construction is done and no pets. It will build up eventually though. It may be extreme (that's what we're here for) but I want to start looking into liquid cooling the AVR. If it works for PC's I'm sure I could modify and adapt a multi-plate system for the AVR heat sinks.
post #14 of 24 Old 02-17-2020, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 491
These units bring air up from under and beside the unit to cool. Their success is predicated on that surrounding air being room temperature and abundant. Sometimes warm exhaust air is not discharged far enough away, and is brought back in to cool the AVR, which it can’t. This can happen when any cabinet is brought into the mix.

If the sides of the unit are flush to a cabinet it will not have that air and will need more from below.

One solution is that of raising the AVR 1-2 inches which has potential benefit. If you have room to slide some hockey pucks or something similar under the unit, this will help get more air under the AVR/Pro, and potentially lower the temperature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Most theories on audio and audio reproduction will be proven wrong only when the laws of physics change."
post #15 of 24 Old 02-17-2020, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawAndTalon View Post
These units bring air up from under and beside the unit to cool. Their success is predicated on that surrounding air being room temperature and abundant. Sometimes warm exhaust air is not discharged far enough away, and is brought back in to cool the AVR, which it can’️t. This can happen when any cabinet is brought into the mix.

If the sides of the unit are flush to a cabinet it will not have that air and will need more from below.

One solution is that of raising the AVR 1-2 inches which has potential benefit. If you have room to slide some hockey pucks or something similar under the unit, this will help get more air under the AVR/Pro, and potentially lower the temperature.

This is excellent advice and I was going to try raising it tonight. I do feel I have plenty of free air around the AVR. I think some of the issue is volume. The 3 internal fans don't push very much volume of air. If there's was a liquid cooled plate under the AVR this would dramatically help reduce the incoming air for the factory fans to then chill the entire unit.
post #16 of 24 Old 02-17-2020, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is excellent advice and I was going to try raising it tonight. I do feel I have plenty of free air around the AVR. I think some of the issue is volume. The 3 internal fans don't push very much volume of air. If there's was a liquid cooled plate under the AVR this would dramatically help reduce the incoming air for the factory fans to then chill the entire unit.

The fans are only designed to work properly when normal space constraints are observed. If you crack open the AVR manual you’ll see something like 6” sides and top.

So, to make up for it you need to have space on the bottom.

If the unit is in complete open space then you can only expect the extern fans to do so much. Do have an outboard amp for mains? If so, that might help.

"Most theories on audio and audio reproduction will be proven wrong only when the laws of physics change."
post #17 of 24 Old 02-17-2020, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawAndTalon View Post
The fans are only designed to work properly when normal space constraints are observed. If you crack open the AVR manual you’ll see something like 6” sides and top.

So, to make up for it you need to have space on the bottom.

If the unit is in complete open space then you can only expect the extern fans to do so much. Do have an outboard amp for mains? If so, that might help.

I only have the subs on an external amp. Which runs cool as a cucumber as it fans flow from rear to front.
post #18 of 24 Old 02-17-2020, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I only have the subs on an external amp. Which runs cool as a cucumber as it fans flow from rear to front.

Putting the mains on a separate will help as you should also be able to turn off the amps to the mains by reassigning them to another zone, and it will be some bit cooler; temper your expectations though.

This is what I do. My Denon POA 2400 power amp is just warm enough that you can tell it’s on. The Denon x4000 is a waffle iron, with the amp it is just really warm. We have a cat that sits on the power amp, my assumption is even the cat thinks the AVR is too hot.

Keep in mind an AVR processor is basically a computer that usually has no fans. It just can only get so cool by itself. I rationalize that if I’m doing everything I’m supposed to do, it’ll last long enough to have a good run. Getting more anal about the temp likely won’t be worth the frustration.

post #19 of 24 Old 02-28-2020, 03:56 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I had the same problem and found a solution. I had the same issue with my x4500h running hot using the AC Infinity MULTIFAN S2 blower. It's cooler then without a fan, but underneath is a hotspot. It seems when the fan suck up air. It trap some hot air around it to cause heat buildup. I thought more fan would help so I decide to get a AC Infinity MULTIFAN S7 that comes with 2 fan to help blow the air on top, making it three fan on top. But It didn't fit on top of receiver due to it being too thick. I pull the receiver out and place all 3 fan on top to test. It was still creating the hotspot.

I then decide to put the two fan on each side standing up instead of laying down on top. After that I notice that the top on each side is cool to the touch. Not even warm. The blower is in the middle top. I remove the blower to feel the top and it's hot to the touch. I decide to remove the blower completely so now there's no fan on top of the receiver. With only the 2 side fan blowing air out, not into the receiver. The whole receiver top is cool to the touch. Like it's not even on. If I turn off the fan and the top gets hot quickly within a minute. This only work with receiver that have side vent like denon. I also have plenty of open space to both side. My receiver now look like it have a headphone on a head. Good thing my setup doesn't show as I have top shelf blocking the view.

I also hook up the s7 fan to my nvidia shield since that's all I use. It turns on the tv that connect eARC to the receiver, then fan turn on. So when I turn off shield. It turns off fan, tv, and receiver.
If I need to play ps4 or something. I will just leave my nvidia shield on to power the fan.
post #20 of 24 Old 02-28-2020, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenjiT View Post
I had the same problem and found a solution. I had the same issue with my x4500h running hot using the AC Infinity MULTIFAN S2 blower. It's cooler then without a fan, but underneath is a hotspot. It seems when the fan suck up air. It trap some hot air around it to cause heat buildup. I thought more fan would help so I decide to get a AC Infinity MULTIFAN S7 that comes with 2 fan to help blow the air on top, making it three fan on top. But It didn't fit on top of receiver due to it being too thick. I pull the receiver out and place all 3 fan on top to test. It was still creating the hotspot.

I then decide to put the two fan on each side standing up instead of laying down on top. After that I notice that the top on each side is cool to the touch. Not even warm. The blower is in the middle top. I remove the blower to feel the top and it's hot to the touch. I decide to remove the blower completely so now there's no fan on top of the receiver. With only the 2 side fan blowing air out, not into the receiver. The whole receiver top is cool to the touch. Like it's not even on. If I turn off the fan and the top gets hot quickly within a minute. This only work with receiver that have side vent like denon. I also have plenty of open space to both side. My receiver now look like it have a headphone on a head. Good thing my setup doesn't show as I have top shelf blocking the view.

I also hook up the s7 fan to my nvidia shield since that's all I use. It turns on the tv that connect eARC to the receiver, then fan turn on. So when I turn off shield. It turns off fan, tv, and receiver.
If I need to play ps4 or something. I will just leave my nvidia shield on to power the fan.
Very cool! The S7 fans are basically what I have on top now except just 1. The benefit of the side fans is they will keep air moving under the AVR also. And for $20 a perfect solution, probably quieter than mine also. Mine sounds like a server running behind the screen during quite scenes... So i might get these and give them a try. I am using the IOT relay to turn on the amp and fan. I'm curious of the amp draw for the two S7 fans, could they be run off the AVR?
Thanks for the write up!
post #21 of 24 Old 02-28-2020, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Very cool! The S7 fans are basically what I have on top now except just 1. The benefit of the side fans is they will keep air moving under the AVR also. And for $20 a perfect solution, probably quieter than mine also. Mine sounds like a server running behind the screen during quite scenes... So i might get these and give them a try. I am using the IOT relay to turn on the amp and fan. I'm curious of the amp draw for the two S7 fans, could they be run off the AVR?
Thanks for the write up!
I try the front usb port on my x4500h and it works fine at all 3 speed with the two fan. I use medium setting and it's quiet enough and cool perfectly. I think I can even do low. But I can't really heard it on medium so I figure I leave it. I actually have the fan more on top of the avr. I have the fan top rubber cushion sitting the avr. I use those black twisty tie to hold it up. It goes in the top vent hole and tie around the fan grill. So it help sucks up air that rise on top too. With the way it's setup. It's not drawing any air underneath.
post #22 of 24 Old 02-28-2020, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenjiT View Post
I try the front usb port on my x4500h and it works fine at all 3 speed with the two fan. I use medium setting and it's quiet enough and cool perfectly. I think I can even do low. But I can't really heard it on medium so I figure I leave it. I actually have the fan more on top of the avr. I have the fan top rubber cushion sitting the avr. I use those black twisty tie to hold it up. It goes in the top vent hole and tie around the fan grill. So it help sucks up air that rise on top too. With the way it's setup. It's not drawing any air underneath.

Can you post a picture of your setup? I recently purchased a T8 for my X4500H and I am not sure whether it is actually helping or hurting. It certainly has a blanket effect, as I noticed it increased the temperature above the AVR by five degrees above the ambient room temperature when the AVR is in standby.

Has anyone tried to raise the feet of the T8 and increase the distance between the T8 and the chassis of the AVR? In the regions away from the T8's fans, the lack of airflow is potentially defeating the AVR's natural cooling mechanism.

Last edited by JD23; 02-28-2020 at 06:39 AM.
post #23 of 24 Old 02-28-2020, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
Can you post a picture of your setup? I recently purchased a T8 for my X4500H and I am not sure whether it is actually helping or hurting. It certainly has a blanket effect, as I noticed it increased the temperature above the AVR by five degrees above the ambient room temperature when the AVR is in standby.

Has anyone tried to raise the feet of the T8 and increase the distance between the T8 and the chassis of the AVR? In the regions away from the T8's fans, the lack of airflow is potentially defeating the AVR's natural cooling mechanism.
Here's pic of the fan attach to side. Try this. The black tape is just so it does't move side to side during intense bass. Fan is being hold up by little twistie tie. Or use small zip tie. I though about buying a t8 or s8. But I notice the fan were more in the middle and not where the heatsink is. Which is why I didn't buy it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200228_091406.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	375.3 KB
ID:	2691114  

Last edited by TenjiT; 02-28-2020 at 07:23 AM.
post #24 of 24 Old 02-28-2020, 11:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 803 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23719 Post(s)
Liked: 13061
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post

You may be better served posting your question in the general AC Infinity fan thread --> https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l#post47298825
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page