Which AVR would be best for my situation? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Alfred Andersson

post #1 of 4 Old 02-19-2020, 02:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Which AVR would be best for my situation?

I'll be getting a used pair of Monitor Audio Silver RX2s and a matching RX Centre and will need a receiver. Usage will be about 80% HT and 20% music. I will probably stay at 3.0 for a while but eventually buy a sub and surround speakers when my budget allows it. These are the models I'm looking at currently:
Sony STR-DH790 (3290 SEK) - only very slightly more expensive than the DH590 and I might decide that I want atmos in the future.
Yamaha RX-V385 (3279 SEK) - looks good as well
Denon AVR-X550BT (3296 SEK) - no eARC which I might want in the future but if it's better in other ways I might consider it.
Pioneer VSX-534 (3490 SEK) - no eARC again like the Denon.

I don't really have any experience with AV so I'll need your help here. I might consider increasing my budget but only if it makes a significant difference to sound quality. The only real requirement I have is that 4k/HDR passthrough at 60Hz is supported.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-19-2020, 03:34 AM - Thread Starter

I want to add as well (can't seem to edit my post) that I will be listening in a pretty small room (about 11m²/120ft²) about 1.5-2m away from the speakers, and nowhere near reference level. Maybe the receiver choice matters less at lower volume levels?
post #3 of 4 Old 02-19-2020, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Quoted: 3710 Post(s)
Liked: 3153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred Andersson View Post
I'll be getting a used pair of Monitor Audio Silver RX2s and a matching RX Centre and will need a receiver. Usage will be about 80% HT and 20% music. I will probably stay at 3.0 for a while but eventually buy a sub and surround speakers when my budget allows it. These are the models I'm looking at currently:
Sony STR-DH790 (3290 SEK) - only very slightly more expensive than the DH590 and I might decide that I want atmos in the future.
Yamaha RX-V385 (3279 SEK) - looks good as well
Denon AVR-X550BT (3296 SEK) - no eARC which I might want in the future but if it's better in other ways I might consider it.
Pioneer VSX-534 (3490 SEK) - no eARC again like the Denon.

I don't really have any experience with AV so I'll need your help here. I might consider increasing my budget but only if it makes a significant difference to sound quality. The only real requirement I have is that 4k/HDR passthrough at 60Hz is supported.
Those entry level AVR's will get the job done, but they have very little eq and weak power supplies. If you can step up to the Denon X1400/1500 that would be a huge improvement. If budget is tight, aim for at least the Denon S740/750 models.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 02-19-2020, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
Those entry level AVR's will get the job done, but they have very little eq and weak power supplies. If you can step up to the Denon X1400/1500 that would be a huge improvement. If budget is tight, aim for at least the Denon S740/750 models.
Just managed to find a good deal on a Denon X1600 from amazon.de for 366 euros. I was only looking at Swedish sites before and they had way higher prices on most receivers. If that's still there in a few weeks when I get some money I think I'll buy it.
pase22 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page