USB cooling fans for AVR - Force or Exhaust? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Baldjohn
  • 2 Post By Craig Peer
  • 1 Post By nakkiran

post #1 of 15 Old 02-20-2020, 03:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question USB cooling fans for AVR - Force or Exhaust?

I have three small USB fans available to cool my new Denon AVR. Wondering whether it's more efficient to place the fans (on top) so they (i) force air into the unit, (ii) exhaust air out of the unit, or (iii) stagger the fans (e.g. two forcing air in, one pulling air out - or one in, two out)? No doubt there's a preference here, but I haven't been able to figure it out which would be best. Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-20-2020, 03:43 AM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 45
No, never force air into electronics.

Use them to extract the hot air, so position then close to the unit's existing vents.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

TV: LG OLED 55C7
Player: Oppo UDP-203
AVR: Cambridge Audio CXR200
Speakers: PSB Imagine T2 towers (bi-amped), PSB Image C5 centre, Monitor Audio Bronze FX surrounds (bipole), SVS PB-1000 sub
post #3 of 15 Old 02-20-2020, 04:49 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Cooling fan exhaust

Exhausting the heat is the preferred method, with an eye on where that heat is going after the fan. Check out an AC Infinity unit S9 that sits on top of your receiver, pretty slick...
SinGA likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 02-20-2020, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Have you run your new Denon without fans to determine whether you really need fans at all? My Denon AVR runs cool without external fans.
post #5 of 15 Old 02-20-2020, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post
Have you run your new Denon without fans to determine whether you really need fans at all? My Denon AVR runs cool without external fans.
Which Denon AVR is that?

Home Theatre: Marantz SR6014 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S | Nintendo Switch

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 L/R
post #6 of 15 Old 02-20-2020, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Statz View Post
Which Denon AVR is that?
I am using the Denon X8500h.
post #7 of 15 Old 02-20-2020, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post
I am using the Denon X8500h.
That could be why, then - I'm sure their top-tier model has pretty robust cooling. Or they just improved that aspect in their newer models. I briefly had an X4300H just a few weeks ago, but had to return it because of a defective speaker terminal, and that thing ran startlingly warm. All I had really done was run Audyssey, and watch a bit of TV.

Home Theatre: Marantz SR6014 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S | Nintendo Switch

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 L/R
post #8 of 15 Old 02-20-2020, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

My unit is the Denon AVR-S740H. Recently discontinued so discounted to $349 on Amazon. I already own the three USB-powered fans so there's no reason not to use them. Did some more research and discovered that there's not necessarily one best way to approach the problem viz. sometimes forced air is preferable and at other times exhaust it's more effective. Heat sinks are located along the front side of the unit so I decided to place two fans exhausting out on each side and the third pushing air downward in the middle. Probably doesn't matter since I've got some clearance above the unit in my stand and it probably doesn't generate a lot of heat except when I'm really pushing it, which isn't often. Appreciate the feedback, thanks!
post #9 of 15 Old 02-20-2020, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7782 Post(s)
Liked: 9829
I use AC Infinity AIRCOM T8 component cooling fans on my Denon X8500, Parasound A52+ amp and even my Lumagen. Cheap insurance, and cool running electronics last longer.
smurraybhm and eriksells916 like this.
post #10 of 15 Old 02-20-2020, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Craig, have a read through this thread on my local AV forum, where I did a comparison of cheap laptop coolers for my AVR.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
bmcn likes this.

TV: LG OLED 55C7
Player: Oppo UDP-203
AVR: Cambridge Audio CXR200
Speakers: PSB Imagine T2 towers (bi-amped), PSB Image C5 centre, Monitor Audio Bronze FX surrounds (bipole), SVS PB-1000 sub
post #11 of 15 Old 02-21-2020, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Electronics attract dust. The fan blowing into the unit will put the dust there, where it is harder for you to get out. And the dust will help hold in the heat, nice little blanket.
Have you ever cleaned your computer, fan? Makes them last longer.

Music, more music.
post #12 of 15 Old 02-22-2020, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Another vote for AC Infinity, my friend loves his, nicely designed. Unless you already have USB fans like the OP, the AC Infinity are the way to go.
post #13 of 15 Old 02-23-2020, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by altpensacola View Post
Electronics attract dust. The fan blowing into the unit will put the dust there, where it is harder for you to get out. And the dust will help hold in the heat, nice little blanket.
Have you ever cleaned your computer, fan? Makes them last longer.
Completely disagree with this sentiment. Dust naturally settles on any undisturbed surface. If I have three USB fans (one forcing air in, and two pulling air out) there will tend to be LESS dust settling on the components, not more. Yes, fan blades collect dust over time (unless they're running continuously). Not the same thing.
post #14 of 15 Old 02-23-2020, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by lam23 View Post
My unit is the Denon AVR-S740H. Recently discontinued so discounted to $349 on Amazon. I already own the three USB-powered fans so there's no reason not to use them. Did some more research and discovered that there's not necessarily one best way to approach the problem viz. sometimes forced air is preferable and at other times exhaust it's more effective. Heat sinks are located along the front side of the unit so I decided to place two fans exhausting out on each side and the third pushing air downward in the middle. Probably doesn't matter since I've got some clearance above the unit in my stand and it probably doesn't generate a lot of heat except when I'm really pushing it, which isn't often. Appreciate the feedback, thanks!
If you're forcing a bit more air along the designed intake pathway sure, that might be fine. You just have to make sure whatever solution you put in place augments the intended airflow rather than impeding it.
post #15 of 15 Old 02-23-2020, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1351 Post(s)
Liked: 1202
Quote:
Originally Posted by lam23 View Post
I have three small USB fans available to cool my new Denon AVR. Wondering whether it's more efficient to place the fans (on top) so they (i) force air into the unit, (ii) exhaust air out of the unit, or (iii) stagger the fans (e.g. two forcing air in, one pulling air out - or one in, two out)? No doubt there's a preference here, but I haven't been able to figure it out which would be best. Suggestions?
Assuming you need the extra cooling, forcing air into the AVR/AVP, but only thought a filter, is the preferred method. Blowing filtered air into the unit keeps dust out. With positive pressure in the case dust isn't sucked into the unit through gaps in the casework, rather air is exhausted through the gaps. Two fans in and one fan out will work. Two fans in and no fans out might be preferable.

If you build a PC with positive pressure and filtered air, or use positive pressure with filtered air with any electronics, you will find that after many years the inside of the unit is clean. A clean surface promotes better heat transfer.

Blowing air into a unit that is forced against the components also encourages convection cooling. The faster air movement into or across the component provides for much better heat transfer. Air exhausted from a unit takes the most open, lowest resistance route inside a component, which greatly reduces the rate of heat transfer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
cooling , fan

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page