Talk to me about Denon and Audyssey - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ClawAndTalon

post #1 of 5 Old 02-26-2020, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Talk to me about Denon and Audyssey

So I just finished configuring a 5.1.4 setup at my parents using an X3600H. I’m very confused about how audyssey works and have some questions:

1. After running Audyssey, if I use the “Direct” audio profile (NOT Pure Direct) does that still use Audyssey’s settings?

2. If after running Audyssey I adjust speaker levels manually, does it still utilize the Audyssey correction or does that override and cancel any Audyssey adjustments?

3. Should I be running an separate speaker dB test with my sound meter to ensure all speakers are dialing in at/near 75dB? Or just run Audyssey and call it a day?

4. When it comes to Dolby Atmos, should they be dialed in to 75dB as well or should they be a bit higher due to the subtlety of what they do?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yamaha RX-V675 | Primus 363s fronts | Primus 163 rears | Primus 351 Center | Rythmik LV12R Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-26-2020, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnick1 View Post
So I just finished configuring a 5.1.4 setup at my parents using an X3600H. I’m very confused about how audyssey works and have some questions:

1. After running Audyssey, if I use the “Direct” audio profile (NOT Pure Direct) does that still use Audyssey’s settings?

2. If after running Audyssey I adjust speaker levels manually, does it still utilize the Audyssey correction or does that override and cancel any Audyssey adjustments?

3. Should I be running an separate speaker dB test with my sound meter to ensure all speakers are dialing in at/near 75dB? Or just run Audyssey and call it a day?

4. When it comes to Dolby Atmos, should they be dialed in to 75dB as well or should they be a bit higher due to the subtlety of what they do?

Thank you!

Direct turns off Audyssey eq
You can adjust speaker levels to taste and Audyssey otherwise stays the same.
Run Audyssey and call it a day
Turn up atmos speaker +2 from Audyssey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Squirrel! likes this.

"Most theories on audio and audio reproduction will be proven wrong only when the laws of physics change."
post #3 of 5 Old 02-27-2020, 03:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 799 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23672 Post(s)
Liked: 13032
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-27-2020, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawAndTalon View Post
Direct turns off Audyssey eq
You can adjust speaker levels to taste and Audyssey otherwise stays the same.
Run Audyssey and call it a day
Turn up atmos speaker +2 from Audyssey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ugh, well that’s unfortunate since I’ve had them using “Direct” since I setup the receiver! Is there anyway to make it “auto” so it automatically adjusts the sound mode based on the source signal?

My dad is 70...The last thing I want is for him to have to mess with sound modes every time he watches something or changes the source!

Yamaha RX-V675 | Primus 363s fronts | Primus 163 rears | Primus 351 Center | Rythmik LV12R Sub
post #5 of 5 Old 02-27-2020, 04:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked: 2515
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnick1 View Post

Thank you!

Please don't start individual threads for questions on your Denon receiver or audyssey:

We have an master Audyssey thread that's a sticky:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...d-part-ii.html

We have an owner's thread for your make/model of receiver:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...sts-1-8-a.html

Please post your questions or follow up questions in the appropriate thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page