Audio to receiver question please - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By tre74

post #1 of 20 Old 02-28-2020, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Audio to receiver question please

My current setup: TiVo Roamio on Xfinity cable. HDMI cable to Yamaha HTR-4065 receiver and then out to Samsumg 65" 1080 TV. Works great and I can control on/off and volume from my beloved TiVo "dogbone" remote.

Problem is TiVo streaming is weak nowdays (no Disney+ etc.). I'm looking at a new Samsung QLED 7 series 4K unit that will have all the built in streaming players. If I get this I then need the audio to go from the TV to the receiver, instead of from the TiVo to receiver.

What would be easier or preferred: HDMI from TiVo to TV then HDMI ARC to receiver, or optical from TV to receiver? Is one better then the other for audio sync issues? If the audio is comming from the TV, what remote do i use for volume?

Thanks, MIKE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-28-2020, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Hello Mikeb33. I have a Samsung Smart TV and a TiVo Roamio. I have the TiVo and other devices connected the the receiver and use ARC from the TV for its built in apps. I also have an optical cable connected from the TV to the receiver as insurance. ARC will pass DD+ from the TV to the receiver. The optical cable will be limited to DD 5.1. Your TiVo remote control will still be able to control the receiver volume. I have enabled HDMI-CEC and the universal remote control function on the TV remote control and use it most of the time for all of the devices, though the TiVo remote control is much easier to use when navigating the TiVo functions. HDMI-CEC is labeled "Anynet+" in the TV and it needs to be activated in both the TV and receiver for ARC to work.
post #3 of 20 Old 02-28-2020, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre74 View Post
Hello Mikeb33. I have a Samsung Smart TV and a TiVo Roamio. I have the TiVo and other devices connected the the receiver and use ARC from the TV for its built in apps. I also have an optical cable connected from the TV to the receiver as insurance. ARC will pass DD+ from the TV to the receiver. The optical cable will be limited to DD 5.1. Your TiVo remote control will still be able to control the receiver volume. I have enabled HDMI-CEC and the universal remote control function on the TV remote control and use it most of the time for all of the devices, though the TiVo remote control is much easier to use when navigating the TiVo functions. HDMI-CEC is labeled "Anynet+" in the TV and it needs to be activated in both the TV and receiver for ARC to work.
Thanks for the quick information. Does any normal HDMI cable work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 02-28-2020, 10:17 AM

Make sure to use a premium certified high speed HDMI cable rated at 18gb. You could get cables with a higher rating. I replaced all of my cables with 18gb cable when I went 4K. I bought an extra cable for insurance. They rarely do but can fail. I'll have to replace them again in a few years for 8k. C'est la vie.
post #5 of 20 Old 02-28-2020, 11:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 801 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23714 Post(s)
Liked: 13060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb33 View Post
Thanks for the quick information. Does any normal HDMI cable work?
Although your current AVR does not support it, if you decide to upgrade to both a TV and AVR that support the newer eARC (ie "enhanced" ARC, able to pass HD Audio and does not require HDMI-CEC to be enabled), then you'll need a 4k/18gbps high speed "Premium" HDMI w/ethernet cable between the TV and the AVR so worth purchasing now along with an optical cable (as suggested for insurance) as ARC is often not very reliable.
post #6 of 20 Old 02-29-2020, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

I brought home a Samsung Q7D series 65" today and got a pair of 10ft 4K HDMI cables and an optical cable to run through the wall cavity when I hang it up tomorrow. Thanks
post #7 of 20 Old 03-01-2020, 01:51 AM

Quote:
I brought home a Samsung Q7D series 65" today and got a pair of 10ft 4K HDMI cables and an optical cable to run through the wall cavity when I hang it up tomorrow. Thanks
Before running the HDMI cable through the wall, suggest you test them both first to ensure there is no issue, especially if they are not "Premium" certified HDMI cables.

https://www.hdmi.org/spec/premiumcable

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Cer...AC2DEM8NJQYYNH
post #8 of 20 Old 03-01-2020, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Before running the HDMI cable through the wall, suggest you test them both first to ensure there is no issue, especially if they are not "Premium" certified HDMI cables.

https://www.hdmi.org/spec/premiumcable

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Cer...AC2DEM8NJQYYNH
I already bought these cables: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I see they don't say "certified" but do say "premium quality" so we'll see. They do have very good reviews. Thanks
post #9 of 20 Old 03-01-2020, 06:21 AM

Quote:
I already bought these cables: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I see they don't say "certified" but do say "premium quality" so we'll see. They do have very good reviews. Thanks
As noted by the HDMI.org link I listed, "Certified Premium" and "Premium quality" are two different things which is why it's best to test the cables with your sources before doing any routing through walls.
post #10 of 20 Old 03-01-2020, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

So I got it hooked up using the arc connection and it works, but while watching Safe on Netflix, there is a issue mute moment that happens repeatedly. Sometimes 10-20 seconds apart, sometimes a few times in a few seconds. The picture never stutters, but a brief, maybe less than a second where there's no sound. I switched over to Amazon Prime and put on a new show and it kept happening. Then I went to Hulu put on Futurama and it was fine. Then I tried a 2 new Hulu originals and didn't hear any sound at all. Then I went off smart TV and back to Tivo and everything was fine both live and recordings.

Could this be a cable issue? A receiver issue? I doubt it's internet related since I get 150 mbps download and the router is 1 foot from the TV. Any ideas? The Yamaha receiver is about 8 or so years old and probably an early version of HDMI ARC. I would be ok with upgrading it if necessary. Ideas?
post #11 of 20 Old 03-01-2020, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2692 Post(s)
Liked: 1928
Certified Premium seal:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Certfied_premium_HDMI.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	2692428  
post #12 of 20 Old 03-02-2020, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

I have 2 of the recommended Monoprice cables arriving today. I hope it is that simple.
post #13 of 20 Old 03-12-2020, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

I put on the recommended Monoprice premium cables and after about 10 days I still have a problem. For a few days it worked great, but now I have an issue with streaming sound. When I watch TiVo which has HDMI into tv and another back out to the receiver, it is great. But when I watch Netflix or Prime I often have no sound. I switch to TV internal speakers and it works ok. A couple nights ago I switched everything on and off a few times, played with different inputs and it started working, but the last few nights it has not. I also tried optical to receiver and nothing there either.

Since it worked for a few days and I haven't touched anything or changed settings, what could it be? I'm thinking it's the new TV because the TiVo is plugged into the TV HDMI 1 and the HDMI4 (arc) goes out to my receiver and it works that way so both HDMI cables must be ok. I'd like an easier answer than returning a 65" to Costco, but if that is what it is, oh well

Last edited by Mikeb33; 03-12-2020 at 05:11 PM.
post #14 of 20 Old 03-13-2020, 05:51 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Could be your WiFi between the router and the TV. Can you try connecting the router to the TV with an Ethernet cable?
post #15 of 20 Old 03-13-2020, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrieze01 View Post
Could be your WiFi between the router and the TV. Can you try connecting the router to the TV with an Ethernet cable?
I get audio from my streaming sources through the tv speakers, but not through my amplifier.
post #16 of 20 Old 03-13-2020, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Quote:
I get audio from my streaming sources through the tv speakers, but not through my amplifier.

If Netflix downgrades the signal (maybe to 2.0?) when using the TV speakers it could be using less bandwidth. In any case might be good to eliminate it as an issue
post #17 of 20 Old 03-13-2020, 12:40 PM

To try it without ARC, turn ARC(ANYNET+) off on the TV. Make sure your optical cable is assigned to the TV input on your receiver. Sometimes I have to unplug the TV for a bit when ARC doesn't work properly. If you can get the optical to work, you may just want to leave well enough alone.
thebrieze01 likes this.
post #18 of 20 Old 03-19-2020, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

I did get it to work with optical, but isn't HDMI arc preferred? Are there some sound modes that are not available?
I was thinking that my Yamaha from around 2013 isn't 4K compatible and so since my Tivo Roamio is only 1080 it works, but when using Samsung Smart Hub it outputs 4K. Could this be it?

Costco now has a Yamaha TSR-7850 so I brought one home, but haven't opened the box yet. Think this will solve it?
post #19 of 20 Old 03-19-2020, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2692 Post(s)
Liked: 1928
Quote:
I did get it to work with optical, but isn't HDMI arc preferred? Are there some sound modes that are not available?
I was thinking that my Yamaha from around 2013 isn't 4K compatible and so since my Tivo Roamio is only 1080 it works, but when using Samsung Smart Hub it outputs 4K. Could this be it?

Costco now has a Yamaha TSR-7850 so I brought one home, but haven't opened the box yet. Think this will solve it?
Some TVs can output a lossy version of Atmos audio through the ARC connection (in a Dolby Digital Plus wrapper). Some AVRs can decode that. Irrelevant, if you don't have an Atmos setup.

I believe that the optical port doesn't support that.

The difference becomes much larger if the TV and AVR both support eARC. I have never been able to use that, but it is supposed to support high bandwidth multichannel audio.

An alternative: don't use the TV's apps. Buy a third-party streaming device (Roku, Apple TV, FireTV, etc.), connect that to the AVR.
post #20 of 20 Old 03-20-2020, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

I hooked the new Yamaha and HDMI audio works as expected. Now to find a use for the old receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page