• 1 Post By Audioguy1

post #1 of 7 Old 03-26-2020, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
New Receiver or Converter

Hi Everyone,

I’m trying to figure out what’s the best solution would be to move forward. In my basement I have a Denon AVR-X4100W which is a great receiver. I’m looking at getting a 4K TV for that setup but my receiver is only 1.4HDCP compliant and not 2.2.

So what I’m debating is either buying a new receiver to replace this one or buying a converter to allow for the handshake to work. I was looking at the Fury which is about $300. It looks like it does 4:4:4 chroma, but I’m concerned there will still be quality loss with a converter.

So what would you guys do? Buy a new receiver or spend money on the converter? Again I love the receiver. I actually have a AVR-X4300H in my family room which I love. I don’t want to spend a ton of money, but I also want to make sure what I do will work. It seems crazy I would have to get rid of an awesome receiver just because of HDCP issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-26-2020, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 273
The HD fury is a more sensible financial solution, especially since you like the x4100. It has a ton of good reviews on Amazon.

There a few new models so do your research https://www.amazon.com/stores/HDFury/node/12088257011
post #3 of 7 Old 03-26-2020, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2663 Post(s)
Liked: 1897
Does the X4100W support HDR passthrough, even though it lacks HDCP 2.2? I believe HDR support requires HDMI 2.0a; the X4100W may only have HDMI 2.0.

IMHO, HDR is of greater value than 4k resolution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-26-2020, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 198
I have an extra avr key that I can sell you. It will do what you want.

Media Room: LG oled65c7, Marantz AV8805, Sherbourn 7/2100, Emotiva A-300, Studer A80, Studer Revox b795, Nakamichi RX-202, HTPC, exaSound e38, Sweetvinyl Sugarcube SC-2, (2) Piega P10, Piega Coax Center, (6) Piega AP 1.2, Hsu VTF-15h mk2
Office: Emotiva mini-x A100, Geek Pulse, (2) KEF LS-50, Goldenear FF 4, PC, NAS 130TB
Bedroom: Panasonic TCP55vt35, Marantz NR1200, Dune 3 Prime, (2) Elac Uni-Fi UB5
post #5 of 7 Old 03-26-2020, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth9883 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I’m trying to figure out what’s the best solution would be to move forward. In my basement I have a Denon AVR-X4100W which is a great receiver. I’m looking at getting a 4K TV for that setup but my receiver is only 1.4HDCP compliant and not 2.2.

So what I’m debating is either buying a new receiver to replace this one or buying a converter to allow for the handshake to work. I was looking at the Fury which is about $300. It looks like it does 4:4:4 chroma, but I’m concerned there will still be quality loss with a converter.

So what would you guys do? Buy a new receiver or spend money on the converter? Again I love the receiver. I actually have a AVR-X4300H in my family room which I love. I don’t want to spend a ton of money, but I also want to make sure what I do will work. It seems crazy I would have to get rid of an awesome receiver just because of HDCP issues.
So, new 4k players come with 2 hdmi outs, one for video/sound and another for lossless sound output only for legacy avr's. As well you can buy a hdmi breakout box for components with only hdmi out(no coax, toslink for lossy sound) and run sound only direct.

For me the players the important output that has lossless. All other components that are streamed, not so important; sound great in dd. Compression kills streamed services in my opinion.

Cheers

Almost forgot, you can loop sound from your tv back to your avr as well. Not ideal if your a picky bastard like me, but it works well(mostly)
post #6 of 7 Old 03-28-2020, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioguy1 View Post
So, new 4k players come with 2 hdmi outs, one for video/sound and another for lossless sound output only for legacy avr's. As well you can buy a hdmi breakout box for components with only hdmi out(no coax, toslink for lossy sound) and run sound only direct.

For me the players the important output that has lossless. All other components that are streamed, not so important; sound great in dd. Compression kills streamed services in my opinion.

Cheers

Almost forgot, you can loop sound from your tv back to your avr as well. Not ideal if your a picky bastard like me, but it works well(mostly)
This might be my best option. I have an Xbox one S that I’ve been using for 4K HDR. I believe it only has one HDMI out. If I were to use a splitter like the one below, would that work? Is there a drop in quality splitting the signal? I’m concerned I’ll have great video quality in 4K 4:4:4 and HDR, but I’m worried the receiver will not play the Dolby atmos signal.

I also run 4K Apple TV’s throughout the house for streaming content. I am concerned if I’m playing a show in Netflix that offers 4K and atmos the tv will get the 4K signal, but the receiver will not play atmos because of the HDCP 1.4 vs 2.2. Will this work with a splitter? On my 1080P TV in the basement which this receiver is connected to it wont play the atmos signal.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-28-2020, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth9883 View Post
This might be my best option. I have an Xbox one S that I’ve been using for 4K HDR. I believe it only has one HDMI out. If I were to use a splitter like the one below, would that work? Is there a drop in quality splitting the signal? I’m concerned I’ll have great video quality in 4K 4:4:4 and HDR, but I’m worried the receiver will not play the Dolby atmos signal.

I also run 4K Apple TV’s throughout the house for streaming content. I am concerned if I’m playing a show in Netflix that offers 4K and atmos the tv will get the 4K signal, but the receiver will not play atmos because of the HDCP 1.4 vs 2.2. Will this work with a splitter? On my 1080P TV in the basement which this receiver is connected to it wont play the atmos signal.
Picky bastard...me I meant

Cheers from Canada!
Smooth9883 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page