Denon x-4500H vs x-3600h as a pre/pro - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-26-2020, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Denon x-4500H vs x-3600h as a pre/pro

I want to upgrade my system from 7.2 to 7.2.4 and need to upgrade my Denon 3808-CI. This will also get me 4K capability on the HDMI as my next step will be a projector upgrade, most likely to a JVC RS-2000.

I have outboard Emotiva amps (XPA-2 and XPA-5) and do not use any of the amps in the current receiver. My thought is to use 4 of the amps in the new receiver for the new ceiling speakers and keep using the Emotiva amps as they are.

From my reading I do not see any advantage to the x-4500H other than a bit more amp power, which I doubt is needed.

As far as I can tell, both models will let me:
  • Assign the internal amps for the ceiling speakers.
  • Use preamp outputs to run the Emotiva amps for the 7.2 part
  • Use the same Audyssey software.

Have I missed anything important? My thought is to use the X-3600H as it is a bit cheaper and a newer model.

Thanks.

Scott Erie
------------------------
Let's all just admit it was my fault and then we can move on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-26-2020, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2679 Post(s)
Liked: 1914
I have the older X4300H. Its speaker assignment allows you to set which pair of speakers only have a signal available on the pre-outs (and don't use any of the 9 onboard amps). The choices are the LR fronts or the rear height speakers. I'm not absolutely certain, but I believe that the 3600 and 4500 are the same.

All of the pre-outs are active, all the time.

The 3600 is a 2019 model, and includes Dolby height virtualization and DTS Virtual:X. (Not useful if you're building a real Atmos setup.) The 4500 (2018, but still current) gives you Auro3D. A few people use that. (Mostly in Europe, I suppose. Not sure how much source material for it is available in North America.)

The 4500 has a metal front panel and a 2 line display. The 3600 apparently has a plastic front panel and a 1 line display.

The 4500 makes a small amount more power than the 3600, and weighs more.

The 3600 was more attractive a few weeks ago when it was widely available for $900US, new. It's now $1100 at the online majors.

I've had the 4300, which I bought as a refurb, for almost 3 years. I like it. I use it in an Atmos 7.2.4 setup, with an Emotiva XPA3 Gen3 powering the LCR fronts, and the AVR supplying the other 8 channels.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-26-2020, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 800 Post(s)
Quoted: 23688 Post(s)
Liked: 13041
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
I have the older X4300H. Its speaker assignment allows you to set which pair of speakers only have a signal available on the pre-outs (and don't use any of the 9 onboard amps). The choices are the LR fronts or the rear height speakers. I'm not absolutely certain, but I believe that the 3600 and 4500 are the same.

All of the pre-outs are active, all the time.

The 3600 is a 2019 model, and includes Dolby height virtualization and DTS Virtual:X. (Not useful if you're building a real Atmos setup.) The 4500 (2018, but still current) gives you Auro3D. A few people use that. (Mostly in Europe, I suppose. Not sure how much source material for it is available in North America.)
Since it's release almost 5 years ago, for many members, the Auro 3D AuroMatic simulator has been much preferred for 2CH music sources over either Dolby Surround or DTS Neural:X.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-26-2020, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 800 Post(s)
Quoted: 23688 Post(s)
Liked: 13041
Quote:
Originally Posted by obts000 View Post
I want to upgrade my system from 7.2 to 7.2.4 and need to upgrade my Denon 3808-CI. This will also get me 4K capability on the HDMI as my next step will be a projector upgrade, most likely to a JVC RS-2000.

I have outboard Emotiva amps (XPA-2 and XPA-5) and do not use any of the amps in the current receiver. My thought is to use 4 of the amps in the new receiver for the new ceiling speakers and keep using the Emotiva amps as they are.

From my reading I do not see any advantage to the x-4500H other than a bit more amp power, which I doubt is needed.
Depends on your requirements as each model offers features the other does not.

Review post 1 in each of the 2018 and 2019 Denon AVR Owner's threads for model differences.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-26-2020, 09:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2679 Post(s)
Liked: 1914
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Since it's release almost 5 years ago, for many members, the Auro 3D AuroMatic simulator has been much preferred for 2CH music sources over either Dolby Surround or DTS Neural:X.
Aromatic? Let's keep odor out of this.

Thanks for the information. I haven't participated in the Auro 3D threads, or paid the $199US for the upgrade for my X4300H. I listen to stereo as 2.2, almost exclusively.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page