AVS Forum banner

AV receiver "So let me get this straight" question!

7K views 34 replies 16 participants last post by  dowop 
#1 ·

So I recently bought a 4K TV, to replace my 1080 HD TV, primarily to go up in size...

I understand now, if I want to get a 4K Blu-Ray player, to replace my standard Blu-Ray player...to get 4K picture quality to my TV, THROUGH MY perfectly good but older AV receiver (Yamaha RX-A1020), I have to purchase a NEW AV receiver, JUST BECAUSE OF some HDMI copyright encryption preventing 4K passthrough? Do I have this right?

It's not urgent right now, and movies look great on my new TV when played on my older Blu-Ray player, but I can't believe that I CAN'T upgrade to a 4K Blu-Ray player unless I'm FORCED to upgrade my AV receiver due to copyright laws and encryption that makes my perfectly good AV receiver entirely obsolete?!

#2 ·
Your receiver is a 1080p receiver. You need a 4K receiver to handle 4K HDR content through it. This is not just a copyright issue (not sure who told you that). Technology constantly evolves. You'll need another new receiver if you ever plan to move forward with 8K as well.

And while you got a nice new TV, you can benefit a lot from HDR on it with a new receiver, but a TV display is too small to benefit from 4K resolution anyway so I wouldn't worry much about that.

Reactions: iavswn
#3 · (Edited)
You didn’t provide any details concerning your new TV or what UHD player you were considering.

I recently purchased a Sony XBR 85X850G TV and a Sony 800M2 UHD player. Considering that both devices are new compared to my Pioneer Elite SC97 AVR. To fully appreciate the upgrade in 4K video technology. I decided to split the audio and video signal using the dual HDMI output of the 800M2 UHD player.

The video output signal is sent directly to the TV and the audio is sent to the Pioneer SC97 AVR.

#4 ·
You didn’t provide any details concerning your new TV or what UHD player you were considering.

I recently purchased a Sony XBR 85X850G TV and a Sony 800M2 UHD player. Considering that both devices are new compared to my Pioneer Elite SC97 AVR. To fully appreciate the upgrade in 4K video technology. I decided to split the audio and video signal using the dual HDMI output of the 800M2 UHD player.

The video output signal is sent directly to the TV and the audio is sent to the Pioneer SC97 AVR.
Your AVR recommendation is correct. You did not say that he will be missing out on Dolby Atmos, DD+ and DTS: X . BTW I did the same using my old Onkyo TX-SR875. Then I upgraded to the newer Onkyo TX-RZ820.

#5 ·
I called Yamaha customer support yesterday and the guy I spoke to said that he suspected HDCP 2.2 (I believe that's what he said) would prevent the 4K signal from working in my current receiver OR being passed on to my new television (Samsung NU75R8000) despite the fact that it is an older AV receiver that is supposed accommodate 4K passthrough.

My TV is a Samsung 8 series 75 inch TV. I was hoping to get a Sansung 4K player if I could find one, even though they stopped making them...although I guess it's not critical to keep brands the same.

#6 ·
Oh, and I read that I could possibly use both HDMI outs on my 4K Blu-Ray player, one going directly to the TV for picture, the other going to the receiver for the sound (providing nothing would prevent that) but then I guess I would lose the ability to navigate and control things on my receiver (like YPAO calibration) while seeing it on my TV screen.

#9 ·
AVR HDMI output to one of your available HDMI inputs.

When you select the TV HDMI input your AVR HDMI output is connected too. You should be able to view your AVR user interface. As you previously were able to do. Not familiar with your AVR. L@@k in the owners thread for your AVR. There may be an app that will allow you to select and control your AVR various functions like master volume level, DSP Mode, etc.

#7 ·
correct, it is an HDCP issue. that is a copy protection scheme. or rather it is there to prevent copying...

the alternative would be to use an HDFury device to strip the copy protection, but I don't know if your receiver can actually handle the full bandwidth of 4k video either...

so... yeah, you are upgrading...

#10 ·
So I can use one dedicated HDMI out of the AVR and into let's say HDMI3 on my TV, only needed for controlling YPAO and things like that? That should work?

And so, if I buy a 4K Blu-Ray player and use the 2 HDMI outs on it, one directly to TV, and the other going to my old AV receiver...the problems I would have with the old receiver as far as HDCP 2.2 or 4K pass through would no longer be a problem, the audio portion would still get to my AV receiver for processing?

#12 ·
Correct. Some people use that scheme even if they have an AVR that does 4k passtrough, in the belief that the AVR may degrade the video signal. (I don't.)

Some TVs that don't support HDCP 2.2 claim 4k passthrough, but only at 30Hz. That means that they aren't really 4k compliant (completely apart from the HDCP digital copy protection issue).

Passthrough may sound like a passive function, but I'm pretty sure that it is active.

#11 ·
The RX-A1020 is a HDMI 1.4a receiver so no way it passes a 4K HDCP 2.2 signal. You're also limited to TrueHD and DTS:HD so obviously no Dolby Atmos and DTS:X.

But like was said above any 4K Blu Ray player with dual HDMI out will solve your needs for the time being. It doesn't have to be Samsung. Several other vendors make 4K players with Dual HDMI

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_133UB420K/Panasonic-DP-UB420.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158X700/Sony-UBP-X700.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_689UBK90/LG-UBK90.html

#28 ·
...and since your TV is a Samsung it doesn't support Dolby Vision so you can cross that off as a need or want for the 4k UHD player.

#13 · (Edited)
Well I have a modest but very enjoyable 5.1 setup anyhow so not getting the latest Dolby encoding / capability is OK, as long as my receiver gets a 5.1 signal and it sounds pretty damn good! Sounds like I can upgrade in increments starting with a 4K Blu-Ray player like I wanted to now, and then replace the AV receiver down the road. The thing that always bothered me most was screen size and I have solved that issue. But I figure as long as I have a 4K capable TV I may as well have a 4K capable Blu-Ray player. Having said that, playing a regular Blu-Ray last night looked pretty darn good on my TV already, and even if I got a 4K Blu-Ray player I'd still be playing mostly regular Blu-Ray discs on it...and the upconverting capability of the TV...I might be fine to leave everything well enough alone as is now. I guess I'm just nervous about all Samsung 4k Blu-Ray player inventory drying up in stores considering they have stopped producing them, so if I want to keep brands the same now might be the time to grab one while I can.

#15 ·
Probably just the probably irrational desire to keep brands the same. Not necessary? Same goes for if I replace my receiver, I'd like to stay with Yamaha, the RX-A1080 is the current model of the one I have but it doesn't seem to be as highly reviewed. You know of a better receiver for $1200?

#16 ·
#18 ·
#19 ·

So I recently bought a 4K TV, to replace my 1080 HD TV, primarily to go up in size...

I understand now, if I want to get a 4K Blu-Ray player, to replace my standard Blu-Ray player...to get 4K picture quality to my TV, THROUGH MY perfectly good but older AV receiver (Yamaha RX-A1020), I have to purchase a NEW AV receiver, JUST BECAUSE OF some HDMI copyright encryption preventing 4K passthrough? Do I have this right?

It's not urgent right now, and movies look great on my new TV when played on my older Blu-Ray player, but I can't believe that I CAN'T upgrade to a 4K Blu-Ray player unless I'm FORCED to upgrade my AV receiver due to copyright laws and encryption that makes my perfectly good AV receiver entirely obsolete?!
One option is to not use the AVR as the video switcher. But another stand alone 4k HDMI switcher that will connect various video sources to the TV. Then use an optical out from the HDMI switcher to get the audio to your AVR.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

#20 ·
if you are not going to use dolby atoms, buy a 4K player with two outputs, audio goes to AVR and will give you Dolby TrueHD and DTS master audio, and video goes to tv, this way you will keep AVR as is, if you need to buy another streaming device with 4K then buy AVR key switch it is a splitter for audio and video ($150) it will cost you. i did for my pioneer sc95 as it will not pass through dolby vision, your bluray player will have streaming apps to give you high res audio to AVR. so in my opinion your AVR don't need to be updated as long as you use 4K player and 5.1.

#21 · (Edited)
OK, thank you very much. And just to confirm what I was told above...if I configure the cables in this way but still want to see things on the TV for controlling the receiver...if I feel the need to redo the YPAO or whatever I can just use one of the HDMI outs on the receiver (perhaps the one already in there going to the TV), and run it to the HDMI3 in on the TV? (I'll still use HDMI2 for the 4K Blu-Ray player)

I don't anticipate using more than 2 HDMI inputs on the TV, one from my cable provider and the other for my Blu-Ray player, so using the HDMI3 for the rare chance I'll want to change something on the AV receiver and being able to view it on the TV should be OK.

By the way, IF I DO buy a 4K Blu-Ray player and I DO NOT buy a new receiver any time soon, is this the best way to wire it? A few other people were mentioning optical cables from the TV to the AV receiver for it to get the audio signals it would need...a few others mentioned something called ARC, but I think I'm liking this HDMI cable way.

#22 ·
I havent found anyway to get my avr to pass even gui to mt lg c9 4k tv. the marantz 7008 avr says it can pass 4k 30hz...but nada. I have 3 hdmi cables running out of my tv and none of them work with avr for video...they all pass audio. would be nice to use the avr gui again.

#24 ·
movies are 24P it should pass through Marantz. my LG C6 is 4K DV at 30 HZ so my setting on Bluray player is Auto cinema and DV has no problem, on apple Tv same thing matching content and refresh rate pass all DV to tv. no issues with DV movies on apple tv 4K, you need to do auto setting for cinema in bluray player.

Reactions: torii
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.