JVC XP-EXT1 - Finally a Wireless headphone system with Atmos and DTS-X - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By kpodolski
  • 1 Post By dush
  • 1 Post By Worf
  • 1 Post By DaveFi

post #1 of 13 Old 04-07-2020, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 401
JVC XP-EXT1 - Finally a Wireless headphone system with Atmos and DTS-X

https://www.us.jvc.com/headphones/ho...tions/xp_ext1/

I just posted in my old Sony MDR-DS7500 thread that my 9yr old pair was still going strong. Someone else asked me if there was anything comparable, other than the newer 700 model I didn’t know of any, so at first I said no. Just for the hell of it I did a search and came up with these. I’ve been lamenting for years that Sony never put out an updated model with HDCP 2.2 support, Atmos and DTS:X but it looks like JVC has (or will shortly). At the $999 price point these better be damn good and come equipped with eARC.

I can’t find much information on these- They look very similar to my old DS7500s. They use some sort of sound modeling tech that’s been around for a while. Seems interesting- the difference here seems to be you can customize the sound field specifically to your likings, and there are 4 profiles you can save, so other people can use it.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.

Last edited by DaveFi; 04-07-2020 at 11:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-28-2020, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had these since 2015:

MDR-HW700DS

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FJISYZQ/

They get used... a lot. They're starting to have some issues with staying connected, mild interference, etc, but still work very well. Just nervous they're gonna go kaput sooner than later.

I had these for probably a decade+ prior to the Sonys and loved them as well:

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...ess/SE-DIR800C

Recently tried the Dolby Atmos feature on my Tab S6 and it sounds pretty freakin' great w/ my cheap earbuds and even better with a set of airpods. It makes me wish there were some AVRs out there that supported "surround sound" via headphones a little better - it doesn't seem like that big of an effort. I know Yamaha has Silent Cinema (both of my AVRs are Yammys)... but I think it sucks, especially compared to the Sonys. Why an AVR can't do something similar to what most new phones/tablets seem to offer with software Dolby Atmos...is beyond me.

$1k for those JVCs... never gonna happen for me, unfortunately. That's crazy money. Another $3k and you can get the Smyth Realisers haha...
post #3 of 13 Old 04-28-2020, 10:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked: 682
I have all that as well, but I have a Smyth Realiser on the way. I didn't realize the JVC ones were $1k, ouch. Otherwise I though I might have something for when I don't want to break out the Smyth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-04-2020, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Here's a review I found for a pre-production unit. (You can choose English from the drop down menu).

https://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/...w/1235019.html
DrTim likes this.

The second place winner is the first place loser.

An argument with reality is one you'll never win.

If you are offended, you are complicit in the outrage.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-07-2020, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
These are't like the Sony pair. This is actually based on real binural mic measurements. It's going to sound like the Smyth, for a fraction of the cost and way easier to setup.
DrTim likes this.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-27-2020, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dush View Post
These are't like the Sony pair. This is actually based on real binural mic measurements. It's going to sound like the Smyth, for a fraction of the cost and way easier to setup.
The guy who tried out the demo unit on that Japanese forum said they were impressive and well worth the money.

My Sony's sound good but I could never really hear any surround effects on them.

I spoke to someone at JVC and they told me they plan to sell these in North America in August, but COVID could delay them. They should be available in Japan quite soon.

post #7 of 13 Old 05-27-2020, 11:57 PM

Thanks for sharing the info - that's good news.

I wish they had the ability to pair your own headphones with the unit. It'd need to compensate for your headphones but there are databases online with that information available. The thing holding me back from buying these is that my main use case is when there's noise in my house. I then like to use my Air Pods Pro or Bose 700's for the ANC. With a third party tool I can (Impuclifer) but because there's no windows decoder for height information from DTS/Atmos I lose that.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-28-2020, 12:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Or rather, the Sony and others that use Dolby headphone use HRTF to downmix audio. The JVC and Smyth use impulse responses and correlation to downmix. The latter are better for getting how it should sound, provided the impulse responses are captured properly. The latter is popular because they can capture ambience so how a real room sounds.

HRTF methods use a mathematical model of how sound performs and offer an idealized simulation of a perfect room.

So far, the big differences are that the JVC uses it's own headphones and a fixed impulse response, while the Smyth is more flexible and allows using your own headphones, applying headphone correction curves similar to room correction, can handle head rotation (so a sound coming from the left will now come from the front if you turn your head left), and making and applying custom responses so your audio can sound how it was measured.
DrTim likes this.
post #9 of 13 Old 05-29-2020, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Or rather, the Sony and others that use Dolby headphone use HRTF to downmix audio. The JVC and Smyth use impulse responses and correlation to downmix. The latter are better for getting how it should sound, provided the impulse responses are captured properly. The latter is popular because they can capture ambience so how a real room sounds.

HRTF methods use a mathematical model of how sound performs and offer an idealized simulation of a perfect room.

So far, the big differences are that the JVC uses it's own headphones and a fixed impulse response, while the Smyth is more flexible and allows using your own headphones, applying headphone correction curves similar to room correction, can handle head rotation (so a sound coming from the left will now come from the front if you turn your head left), and making and applying custom responses so your audio can sound how it was measured.
On video games the Sonys sound pretty good, movies they’re just ok, not really very good for music. The surround effects are barely noticeable.

It would be nice if the JVC wireless base could drive wired headphones but not many can. I did have a wireless Pioneer set of cans that could, complete with volume control on the base.

Really looking forward to these, at this price it needs to at least offer Dolby Vision and eARC support. Hopefully HDMI 2.1 as well.

post #10 of 13 Old 06-11-2020, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post

Have you heard of Impulcifer? Binural convolution via impulse responses. It's even better for things like 2 channel music because it can do actual room correction with a measurement mic and apply a room correction curve to your impulse response (e.g. Harman In Room Loud Speaker target). Only issue is no DTS:X or Atmos because Windows can't output it to channels. You can also use a Transform function to setup IEM's. Amazing.
post #11 of 13 Old 06-15-2020, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Will it be possible to pair more than one JVC headphone to the base in order to watch something together with someone else?
post #12 of 13 Old 06-29-2020, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singha View Post
Will it be possible to pair more than one JVC headphone to the base in order to watch something together with someone else?
Would be kind of strange if they limited it to a single pair of headphones. We have no way of knowing until they release more details.
Singha likes this.

post #13 of 13 Old 06-29-2020, 11:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Not too unusual. The Sony ones outside of Japan were single headphones only - the one it came with. You couldn't re-pair them with a other unit. The ones sold on Japan offered the ability to supine multiple headphones. I would suspect this might be the case to make calibration simpler since the headphones will be precalibrated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page