Fine tuning sound from home audio system - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-09-2020, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Fine tuning sound from home audio system

New to the forum and a first post here.

My home Audio system consists of a Sony STR -DH130 receiver hooked to a Speakercraft bb2125 Amp. There are 8 speakers in total all SpeakerCraft 6 of them are ceiling mounted SpeakerCraft CRS-Zeros throughout the house and 2 SpeakerCraft OE6 Ones on the back porch. There are 5 speaker craft volume controllers throughout to control the individual volume for the pairs of speakers or individual speakers. All of the speakers were originally hooked to the amp and none to the receiver.

The system has been in for roughly 6 years and was installed professionally with little input from me at the time because I was busy with life but have always loved good music. Now that we are all in quarantine due to Covid-19 I’ve had some extra time to listen and tweak on the system...that brings me here...

I noticed recently that the sound from the system was a little flat and when I adjusted the bass and treble settings on the receiver it had no impact to the actual sound coming through the speakers powered by the amp. I decided to rewire two rooms worth of speakers(2 of the ceiling speakers and 2 of the 0E6-Ones) directly time the receiver. This was a great success in that I was now able to adjust the tone of those speakers and achieve a much greater sound. I can now hear much greater depth little things that otherwise went unnoticed like the two of a symbol.

Is there something I am missing in regards to being able to adjust the sound of the speakers hooked directly to the amp? Is the amp not supposed to directly pass the sound signal received from the receiver? There are no other adjustments on the amp other than overall gain.

Thank you in advance for your responses! I greatly appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-10-2020, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emspringer View Post
New to the forum and a first post here.

My home Audio system consists of a Sony STR -DH130 receiver hooked to a Speakercraft bb2125 Amp. There are 8 speakers in total all SpeakerCraft 6 of them are ceiling mounted SpeakerCraft CRS-Zeros throughout the house and 2 SpeakerCraft OE6 Ones on the back porch. There are 5 speaker craft volume controllers throughout to control the individual volume for the pairs of speakers or individual speakers. All of the speakers were originally hooked to the amp and none to the receiver.

The system has been in for roughly 6 years and was installed professionally with little input from me at the time because I was busy with life but have always loved good music. Now that we are all in quarantine due to Covid-19 I’ve had some extra time to listen and tweak on the system...that brings me here...

I noticed recently that the sound from the system was a little flat and when I adjusted the bass and treble settings on the receiver it had no impact to the actual sound coming through the speakers powered by the amp. I decided to rewire two rooms worth of speakers(2 of the ceiling speakers and 2 of the 0E6-Ones) directly time the receiver. This was a great success in that I was now able to adjust the tone of those speakers and achieve a much greater sound. I can now hear much greater depth little things that otherwise went unnoticed like the tap of a symbol.

Is there something I am missing in regards to being able to adjust the sound of the speakers hooked directly to the amp? Is the amp not supposed to directly pass the sound signal received from the receiver? There are no other adjustments on the amp other than overall gain.

Thank you in advance for your responses! I greatly appreciate it!
Had at least one spelling Error- thanks auto correct...ha.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-10-2020, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 437
From what I can tell, the amplifier is connected to the Sony’s Zone 2 outputs, which makes sense. The situation is that those outputs are straight and unprocessed, which is why the Sony’s tone controls have no effect.

All you need to do is get something like a vintage 10-band equalizer and insert it between the Sony and amplifier. These were popular in the 1980s.

If you’re not familiar with these, it’s basically a sophisticated tone control. Instead of one bass and treble control, you get filters for 3-4 bass frequencies; ditto for treble frequencies. And bands for midrange frequencies, too.

In addition to 10-band models, there were also 5- and 7-band models as well. You can find any of these in abundance in ebay – just get one from a major manufacturer.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Equipment List
"A nice mid-fi system," according to an audiophile acquaintance.

Reviews and Tech Articles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-10-2020, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne A. Pflughaupt View Post
From what I can tell, the amplifier is connected to the Sony’s Zone 2 outputs, which makes sense. The situation is that those outputs are straight and unprocessed, which is why the Sony’s tone controls have no effect.

All you need to do is get something like a vintage 10-band equalizer and insert it between the Sony and amplifier. These were popular in the 1980s.

If you’re not familiar with these, it’s basically a sophisticated tone control. Instead of one bass and treble control, you get filters for 3-4 bass frequencies; ditto for treble frequencies. And bands for midrange frequencies, too.

In addition to 10-band models, there were also 5- and 7-band models as well. You can find any of these in abundance in ebay – just get one from a major manufacturer.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Thanks so much for your reply!

I just found a guy local to me selling a 10 band and an amp. I’m not interested in the amp we will see if he is willing to split them up or not otherwise I’ll still keep my eyes out for a deal on one!

Also hoping to pick up a powered sub at some point maybe a 10 or 12 inch.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-10-2020, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emspringer View Post
Thanks so much for your reply!

I just found a guy local to me selling a 10 band and an amp. I’m not interested in the amp we will see if he is willing to split them up or not otherwise I’ll still keep my eyes out for a deal on one!

Also hoping to pick up a powered sub at some point maybe a 10 or 12 inch.
Not sure it’s the best one though, the brand is “realistic” And it looks like they have some mixed reviews. I looked up the manual and it shows that they allow very little distortion but the one forum I found discussing them made it sound like they are Noisy.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-10-2020, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Realistic was Radio Shack’s house brand. They made a number of equalizers over the years, so make sure the comments you’re seeing are particular to the one you have your sights on. I had one for a while in the early ‘80s and didn’t have any issues with it.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Equipment List
"A nice mid-fi system," according to an audiophile acquaintance.

Reviews and Tech Articles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page