$1000ish Budget TODAY what AVR would you get? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By skylarlove1999
  • 1 Post By jdsmoothie
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old Today, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
xray777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 11
$1000ish Budget TODAY what AVR would you get?

OK, finally getting around to pulling the trigger on a new AVR. This is a new setup for me and I'm getting the final items ASAP. Here is what I have and plan to get...



LiSM 703's LR
LiSM 704c C
265-RT's Surround
SVS PS-2000 (x2) Subs

Either MC80's, 70-RT's, or Yamaha ic800's (x4) for ceilings


medium sized room 17.5x13.5x10


I'm thinking that room correction will be needed so putting a little weight here. I also dont plan on getting an amp too soon so would need some power for the LiSM's. Dont really need "bells and whistles" just a nice HT 80%-90% Music 10%-20% AVR.



Have been X3600/x4500 but not as familiar with other brands offerings in this segment.



TIA!!
xray777 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old Today, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
skylarlove1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Honey Brook Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,270
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1733 Post(s)
Liked: 1525
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray777 View Post
OK, finally getting around to pulling the trigger on a new AVR. This is a new setup for me and I'm getting the final items ASAP. Here is what I have and plan to get...



LiSM 703's LR
LiSM 704c C
265-RT's Surround
SVS PS-2000 (x2) Subs

Either MC80's, 70-RT's, or Yamaha ic800's (x4) for ceilings


medium sized room 17.5x13.5x10


I'm thinking that room correction will be needed so putting a little weight here. I also dont plan on getting an amp too soon so would need some power for the LiSM's. Dont really need "bells and whistles" just a nice HT 80%-90% Music 10%-20% AVR.



Have been X3600/x4500 but not as familiar with other brands offerings in this segment.



TIA!!
IMHO people skimp on their subwoofer and center channel when setting up a home theater. IMO those are the most important speakers in a home theater. I would step up to the 706c for center channel. Go with the Denon 3600. Wait for a sale. It can be found routinely for $200 off.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
SuperFist likes this.

Tristan Jones
skylarlove1999 is online now  
post #3 of 15 Old Today, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
xray777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
IMHO people skimp on their subwoofer and center channel when setting up a home theater. IMO those are the most important speakers in a home theater. I would step up to the 706c for center channel. Go with the Denon 3600. Wait for a sale. It can be found routinely for $200 off.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks but I already have the 704c due to my cabinet size for the center channel. WAF would not allow me to place the center on top of the cabinet.



Would I gain much from adding the extra power of the 4500 and dual sub room correction?
xray777 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 15 Old Today, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 86,029
Mentioned: 803 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23727 Post(s)
Liked: 13071
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray777 View Post
Thanks but I already have the 704c due to my cabinet size for the center channel. WAF would not allow me to place the center on top of the cabinet.



Would I gain much from adding the extra power of the 4500 and dual sub room correction?
At the very least, you'll want to wedge the front of the center speaker up so it points to your head and not your knees.

No noticeable difference in power between X4500h and X3600H and X3600h has the same additional Audyssey features (eg. Audyssey Sub EQ HT (dual sub level/distance) and LFC).
skylarlove1999 likes this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old Today, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
skylarlove1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Honey Brook Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,270
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1733 Post(s)
Liked: 1525
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray777 View Post
Thanks but I already have the 704c due to my cabinet size for the center channel. WAF would not allow me to place the center on top of the cabinet.



Would I gain much from adding the extra power of the 4500 and dual sub room correction?
You really need at least a doubling of watts to get a change in sound IMHO. Your Polks are 8 ohms and not really power hungry. Denon watts are rated at two channels only so you are not getting that power being delivered to all your channels anyway, nor is it needed. 70% of a films audio track is in the center channel. AFIK the room correction on the 4500 and 3600 is identical. This is right from the Audyssey description of the 3600 on Denon's website.

Optimize your audio experience with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 for seamless setup of your listening environment. With the supplied measurement microphone, MultEQ XT32 analyzes each speaker's output (including subwoofers) at up to eight measurement locations and generates precision digital filters that optimize each channel for the correct frequency and time domain response. Audyssey Dynamic Volume smooths out disruptive jumps in volume (such as TV commercials), letting you listen at lower levels while still enjoying clear dialogue, music and sound. Audyssey Dynamic EQ provides full-range clarity at any listening level, and Audyssey Low Frequency Containment uses advanced psychoacoustic algorithms to deliver a full-range balance, including deep bass, without disturbing neighbors or people in other rooms of your home.

Audyssey Sub EQ HT provides individual DSP tailoring of each subwoofer in a dual subwoofer setup for deeper bass with improved definition.

Plus, the Audyssey MultEQ Editor app (available for purchase) lets you view and adjust settings for detailed tuning and customize the sound more precisely to your room and tastes.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tristan Jones
skylarlove1999 is online now  
post #6 of 15 Old Today, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 27,978
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2335 Post(s)
Liked: 1524
If one watches a bunch of dialog driven movies and not action films then the subwoofer is not as critical as was mentioned above. my girlfriend watches a log of rom-coms, and shows more tailored for women. A subwoofer rarely comes into play in those instances. When you're watching the Crown, Mr Maisel, Fleabag and stuff like that the center channel is extremely important and not so much the sub.

For me I have dual subs in my setup with a Denon XT32 avr but I watch way different content than her.

Afro GT
afrogt is online now  
post #7 of 15 Old Today, 08:22 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My advise is to go with 3600 between the two. Newer product and same calibration software. Will do 11 channels.
I would suggest a quality external amplifier for your LSi speakers. They are top of the line polk audios, but not easy to drive like their RTi/RTiA line. The power deficiency is more noticeable when playing music than movies. The receivers ratings provided are usually 1 or 2 channel driven (sometimes even at 4 ohms). You have the subwoofers doing the heavy lifting but with LSi line I would suggest at least a 2 or 3 channel amplifier to drive the front two/three. The reason I stayed with RTi line for home theater is because they are bright and easy to drive with less power, although I have external amplifier powering the front 3, I can get by without it if I were listening at moderate volume levels.

Whichever receiver you decide to go with, be careful with the volume knob till you have an external amplifier added.

living room: 60" 4k TV | XBox one S | Apple TV 4k | Fire tv stick 4k | Sony BDP 6500| Yamaha rx-v7810 | Polk Audio 65RT 7 channels | Dayton Audio sub-120 | incomplete theater: 166" 2.40:1 AT screen | Benq w1070 | Sony SACD player | Sony BDP 6500 | Yamaha rx-v667 | Adcom 5600->Polk audio RTi8 | CSi5 | FXiA3 | RTi4 | inuke nu1000dsp -> 2 VBSS subwoofer |Office: Denon 1930CI SACD player | Yamaha rx-a730 | Polk RTi4
trjn is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old Today, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
xray777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks everyone!! I'll keep my eye out for a deal on the x3600. Also, dont roast me cuz I'm kind of a dummie when it comes to setups but... can I use my old AVR to add power to the front LCR? I read (before purchasing) that the LSiM's can be a little power hungry at 88db, hence me looking at the 4500 vs 3600. My old AVR is a Pio VSX1123.



If not ideal... advice on 3ch amp?
xray777 is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old Today, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
xray777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
If one watches a bunch of dialog driven movies and not action films then the subwoofer is not as critical as was mentioned above. my girlfriend watches a log of rom-coms, and shows more tailored for women. A subwoofer rarely comes into play in those instances. When you're watching the Crown, Mr Maisel, Fleabag and stuff like that the center channel is extremely important and not so much the sub.

For me I have dual subs in my setup with a Denon XT32 avr but I watch way different content than her.

Mostly action flix for us with the occasional "hallmark" type chick flick. haha
xray777 is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old Today, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
xray777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looking back and it looks like what I saw was something called "bass sync" on the 4500 that is not on the 3600.
xray777 is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old Today, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 27,978
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2335 Post(s)
Liked: 1524
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray777 View Post
Thanks everyone!! I'll keep my eye out for a deal on the x3600. Also, dont roast me cuz I'm kind of a dummie when it comes to setups but... can I use my old AVR to add power to the front LCR? I read (before purchasing) that the LSiM's can be a little power hungry at 88db, hence me looking at the 4500 vs 3600. My old AVR is a Pio VSX1123.



If not ideal... advice on 3ch amp?
The VSX-1123 doesn't have analog inputs for L,R and C. You could do two channels but not 3. But at 90W channel it isn't more powerful than the x3600.

Afro GT
afrogt is online now  
post #12 of 15 Old Today, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,711
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2353 Post(s)
Liked: 2319
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray777 View Post
Mostly action flix for us with the occasional "hallmark" type chick flick. haha
Yes you can use your old Pioneer AVR. Minor inconvenience but it looks like you'd have to power it on/off manually as I don't see a trigger connection that is normally included with dedicated power amps.

For action, you'll definitely appreciate having the subs and they will offload a lot of the power requirements of the AVR or AVR/2nd AVR. Make sure you set all speakers to "small" when doing your Audyssey setup to optimize your subwoofers.
PlanetAVS is online now  
post #13 of 15 Old Today, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,711
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2353 Post(s)
Liked: 2319
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
The VSX-1123 doesn't have analog inputs for L,R and C. You could do two channels but not 3. But at 90W channel it isn't more powerful than the x3600.
True that the older AVR is not more powerful than the Denon 3600 but the benefit is to offload some of the work that the Denon is doing. Even assigning the front LR to the external Pioneer AVR would create headroom.

Last edited by PlanetAVS; Today at 09:06 AM.
PlanetAVS is online now  
post #14 of 15 Old Today, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 27,978
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2335 Post(s)
Liked: 1524
I would assign the Pioneer to other channels, I would look at something like this if your really want to boost your front two channels.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-...20amps&index=1

Afro GT
afrogt is online now  
post #15 of 15 Old Today, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
rhelliott2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: NorCal
Posts: 587
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 573
rhelliott2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off