The official Dirac Live thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 470Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 1011 Old 04-17-2020, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 12,895
Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6569 Post(s)
Liked: 3485
The official Dirac Live thread

People asked for it, here it is, a dedicated thread all things Dirac Live (DL). This post will be updated as we go along...

Manufacturer website:
https://live.dirac.com

Download for Mac, PC, iOS and Android:
https://live.dirac.com/download/

Quickstart guide – AVR/pre-pro:
https://live.dirac.com/content/uploa...nt-version.pdf

Quickstart guide – Dirac Live Processor for Mac/PC:
https://live.dirac.com/processor-step-by-step/

Bug reporting:
http://helpdesk.dirac.se/

History, target curves, bugs:
https://mehlau.net/audio/dirac-live-2/

Configure microphone and setting speaker levels:
https://mehlau.net/audio/dirac-live-...peaker-levels/

How to set crossovers (without "Bass Control"):
https://mehlau.net/audio/dirac-live-2-avr-crossover/

Dirac Live "Bass Control" add-on:
http://diracdocs.com/Bass%20Control%20in%20Live.pdf

Introduction to digital room equalization
http://diracdocs.com/on_room_correction.pdf
Spizz, rboster, markrubin and 24 others like this.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole

Last edited by markus767; 06-09-2020 at 01:06 AM.
markus767 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 1011 Old 04-17-2020, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wilbur_the_goose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,490
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Subscribed - Thanks @markus767 !

One question I have about Dirac Live 2 is in regard to channel trims:
  • Dirac 1 didn't adjust trims - that was something I'd manually do after the calibration
  • Dirac 2 does pay attention the the trims.
  • I've found that my rear channels (10' away from the microphone) are dragging down the "set" trim level for all the other speakers. For example, my FL speaker is -8db, and my RL speaker (the quiet one) is set to 0db.
  • I'd much prefer that Dirac 2 set the loudest speaker to 0db and adjust relative to that, not to the quietest speaker.
  • Is there any way to "normalize" the trims, or to tell Dirac 2 to NOT set the trims?

Processor - HTP-1
Amps - Parasound A21, Emotiva XPA-5, Gen 2
Speakers - Paradigm Studio series
Setup: 7.1.0
wilbur_the_goose is offline  
post #3 of 1011 Old 04-17-2020, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wilbur_the_goose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,490
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Hint for Dirac 1 and Dirac 2 running on a PC:
I found that when running on a Windows 10 PC, you'll need to run Dirac under a user account with Administrator level rights.

In my case, I'll login using the Admin account, run Dirac, upload the filters to my device, and then log out (I never typically use the Admin user unless I really need to).
wilbur_the_goose is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 1011 Old 04-17-2020, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BigCoolJesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,883
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2753 Post(s)
Liked: 2090
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
Subscribed - Thanks @markus767 !

One question I have about Dirac Live 2 is in regard to channel trims:
  • Dirac 1 didn't adjust trims - that was something I'd manually do after the calibration
  • Dirac 2 does pay attention the the trims.
  • I've found that my rear channels (10' away from the microphone) are dragging down the "set" trim level for all the other speakers. For example, my FL speaker is -8db, and my RL speaker (the quiet one) is set to 0db.
  • I'd much prefer that Dirac 2 set the loudest speaker to 0db and adjust relative to that, not to the quietest speaker.
  • Is there any way to "normalize" the trims, or to tell Dirac 2 to NOT set the trims?

Processor - HTP-1
Amps - Parasound A21, Emotiva XPA-5, Gen 2
Speakers - Paradigm Studio series
Setup: 7.1.0

I would ask why it would matter if the loudest speaker is set to 0dB on the trim and all others are boosted as needed or if the quietest is set to 0dB and all others are cut as needed?
BigCoolJesus is offline  
post #5 of 1011 Old 04-17-2020, 01:33 PM
Senior Member
 
ss3740's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Zanesville Ohio 43701
Posts: 385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I just ordered a Lexicon MC-10 which runs Dirac Live. What is the optional mic brand and part number that is recommended to use and where do you purchase them ? Thanks

Marantz 8805, Legacy I*V5 Amplifier, Oppo 203, B&O Beogram TX Turntable, Legacy Focus SE's mains, Legacy Marquis Center, Legacy Phantom Surrounds, (2) PSA V1801 Subs, Morrow Audio Cables with Furman Protection
ss3740 is offline  
post #6 of 1011 Old 04-17-2020, 02:08 PM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 22,601
Mentioned: 487 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12663 Post(s)
Liked: 7577
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
I would ask why it would matter if the loudest speaker is set to 0dB on the trim and all others are boosted as needed or if the quietest is set to 0dB and all others are cut as needed?
Because that is the way Dirac works. Are you questioning why Dirac is designed that way?
AustinJerry is offline  
post #7 of 1011 Old 04-17-2020, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 12,895
Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6569 Post(s)
Liked: 3485
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3740 View Post
I just ordered a Lexicon MC-10 which runs Dirac Live. What is the optional mic brand and part number that is recommended to use and where do you purchase them ? Thanks
As long as you're using a calibrated, omnidirectional mic and it is recognized by your computer (or AVR/AVP) the brand doesn't matter much.
ss3740 likes this.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole

Last edited by markus767; 04-19-2020 at 11:05 PM.
markus767 is offline  
post #8 of 1011 Old 04-17-2020, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 12,895
Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6569 Post(s)
Liked: 3485
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
Subscribed - Thanks @markus767 !

One question I have about Dirac Live 2 is in regard to channel trims:
  • Dirac 1 didn't adjust trims - that was something I'd manually do after the calibration
  • Dirac 2 does pay attention the the trims.
  • I've found that my rear channels (10' away from the microphone) are dragging down the "set" trim level for all the other speakers. For example, my FL speaker is -8db, and my RL speaker (the quiet one) is set to 0db.
  • I'd much prefer that Dirac 2 set the loudest speaker to 0db and adjust relative to that, not to the quietest speaker.
  • Is there any way to "normalize" the trims, or to tell Dirac 2 to NOT set the trims?

Processor - HTP-1
Amps - Parasound A21, Emotiva XPA-5, Gen 2
Speakers - Paradigm Studio series
Setup: 7.1.0
How speaker trims are set depends on the available internal headroom. Manufacturers usually don't provide good control and monitoring for these parameters. The miniDSP DDRC-88BM being the exception.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
markus767 is offline  
post #9 of 1011 Old 04-17-2020, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BigCoolJesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,883
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2753 Post(s)
Liked: 2090
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Because that is the way Dirac works. Are you questioning why Dirac is designed that way?
I think you're reading my reply incorrectly. I'm not questioning how Dirac sets the trims....
BigCoolJesus is offline  
post #10 of 1011 Old 04-17-2020, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mraub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 1,125
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Many use this microphone:

https://www.minidsp.com/products/aco...urement/umik-1

I recall seeing a comparison which showed calibrations performed with the umik were more accurate than those done with the cheap microphones manufacturers include with processors and receivers.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3740 View Post
I just ordered a Lexicon MC-10 which runs Dirac Live. What is the optional mic brand and part number that is recommended to use and where do you purchase them ? Thanks
ss3740 likes this.

MIKE

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.
--H. L. Mencken
mraub is offline  
post #11 of 1011 Old 04-17-2020, 03:19 PM
Senior Member
 
ss3740's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Zanesville Ohio 43701
Posts: 385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by mraub View Post
Many use this microphone:

https://www.minidsp.com/products/aco...urement/umik-1

I recall seeing a comparison which showed calibrations performed with the umik were more accurate than those done with the cheap microphones manufacturers include with processors and receivers.

Thanks. Can't seem to find any in USA for sale. Everything is sold out

Marantz 8805, Legacy I*V5 Amplifier, Oppo 203, B&O Beogram TX Turntable, Legacy Focus SE's mains, Legacy Marquis Center, Legacy Phantom Surrounds, (2) PSA V1801 Subs, Morrow Audio Cables with Furman Protection
ss3740 is offline  
post #12 of 1011 Old 04-17-2020, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
neo_2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 803
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 307
@markus767 , you mention "... Some features have even been crippled (e.g. test signal/mic gain adjustment) ...", and later you mention "Version 2.5.2 has been released on 08.04.2020 with usability improvements and bug fixes but generally all of the above still applies".

Following your posts on the NAD T758 thread, i was under the impression you were hopping that version 2.5 would address the signal/gain issue.
Could you please clarify?

Thank you very much for having the time to create this thread!
neo_2009 is offline  
post #13 of 1011 Old 04-17-2020, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 30,536
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1505 Post(s)
Liked: 1474
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
Subscribed - Thanks @markus767 !

One question I have about Dirac Live 2 is in regard to channel trims:[*]Dirac 1 didn't adjust trims - that was something I'd manually do after the calibration[*]Dirac 2 does pay attention the the trims.
That may depend on how you used DL. Dirac 1 did do trims in the PC implementation.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #14 of 1011 Old 04-17-2020, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Snowmanick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,336
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3740 View Post
Thanks. Can't seem to find any in USA for sale. Everything is sold out
I ordered my Umik-1 directly from MiniDSP and had it shipped to the States.
ss3740 likes this.
Snowmanick is offline  
post #15 of 1011 Old 04-17-2020, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BigCoolJesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,883
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2753 Post(s)
Liked: 2090
I've decided to try a Dirac cal only correcting up to my rooms Schroeder frequency but was wondering if a good guestimate of where that would be can be gleaned from the below Dirac results for my Front LR and a pair of my Atmos speakers?

My guess is maybe around 500Hz?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4 Front Atmos_1587169204487.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	2711770   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Fronts_1587169212852.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	265.1 KB
ID:	2711772  
BigCoolJesus is offline  
post #16 of 1011 Old 04-17-2020, 06:00 PM
Senior Member
 
llang269's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tinley Park IL
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Maybe someone can help me here. I have Dirac on a Datasat Ls10 and I can’t get my speakers to make noise to calibrate. It finds the processor, recognizes the mic and when it come to playing the noise back I get nothing, zero sound

llang269 is offline  
post #17 of 1011 Old 04-17-2020, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Stereojeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Whittier, CA USA
Posts: 1,785
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
I've decided to try a Dirac cal only correcting up to my rooms Schroeder frequency but was wondering if a good guestimate of where that would be can be gleaned from the below Dirac results for my Front LR and a pair of my Atmos speakers?

My guess is maybe around 500Hz?

500 Hz is a good estimate. Or you can use this equation to determine the actual Schroeder frequency for your listening room: http://www.acoustic.ua/forms/room-modes-eng.html


Jeff
giomania likes this.
Stereojeff is offline  
post #18 of 1011 Old 04-17-2020, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BigCoolJesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,883
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2753 Post(s)
Liked: 2090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojeff View Post

500 Hz is a good estimate. Or you can use this equation to determine the actual Schroeder frequency for your listening room: http://www.acoustic.ua/forms/room-modes-eng.html

Jeff
Thanks. Just tried the calculator and it says the Schroeder frequency should be around 170Hz based on 22'x14'x8' and default temp and reverb time.

Visually, when looking at frequency response of speakers in the room, is it possible to roughly guess the frequency? Reading up it seems like the visual indicator is when the response goes from large dips/peaks and "narrows" more?

Better yet, is there an easy way to use REW and find out? I'm no REW expert but figure if there is an easy way to find out it's worth a shot.
BigCoolJesus is offline  
post #19 of 1011 Old 04-18-2020, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 12,895
Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6569 Post(s)
Liked: 3485
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_2009 View Post
@markus767 , you mention "... Some features have even been crippled (e.g. test signal/mic gain adjustment) ...", and later you mention "Version 2.5.2 has been released on 08.04.2020 with usability improvements and bug fixes but generally all of the above still applies".

Following your posts on the NAD T758 thread, i was under the impression you were hopping that version 2.5 would address the signal/gain issue.
Could you please clarify?

Thank you very much for having the time to create this thread!
The gain matching algorithm issue went much deeper and isn't related to settings in the "Volume Calibration" tab. It has been fixed beginning version 2.5. So finally after 16 months (or 2.5 years, depending on when you start counting) we finally have a Dirac Live version that provides more or less the same functionality as version 1... Let's hope the upcoming "Bass Control" feature was worth the wait.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
markus767 is offline  
post #20 of 1011 Old 04-18-2020, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 12,895
Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6569 Post(s)
Liked: 3485
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
I've decided to try a Dirac cal only correcting up to my rooms Schroeder frequency but was wondering if a good guestimate of where that would be can be gleaned from the below Dirac results for my Front LR and a pair of my Atmos speakers?

My guess is maybe around 500Hz?
It can be eyeballed looking at multiple spatially distributed measurements. Check the "Measured/Corrected Spread" box.

P.S. The "Measured Spread" checkbox is currently missing due to a bug.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
markus767 is offline  
post #21 of 1011 Old 04-18-2020, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 12,895
Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6569 Post(s)
Liked: 3485
Quote:
Originally Posted by llang269 View Post
Maybe someone can help me here. I have Dirac on a Datasat Ls10 and I can’t get my speakers to make noise to calibrate. It finds the processor, recognizes the mic and when it come to playing the noise back I get nothing, zero sound
Get in contact with Dirac. See post 1 for the link.
llang269 likes this.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
markus767 is offline  
post #22 of 1011 Old 04-18-2020, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BigCoolJesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,883
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2753 Post(s)
Liked: 2090
Redid Dirac using the Harman Curve and only EQing up to 500Hz (picked this since the mid-range crossover on the center starts at 600Hz).

Rewatching the same movie scenes I've been using over the last week for testing and this definitely sounds the best. The other times when I let Dirac EQ the entire frequency range it never sounded bad. And I would have never noticed it could have been "better" had I not tried. But having done so it definitely sounds better. There is more "life" it seems. How the speakers were meant to sound after EQing the low end to remove some room interaction.
wilbur_the_goose likes this.
BigCoolJesus is offline  
post #23 of 1011 Old 04-18-2020, 01:53 PM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 22,601
Mentioned: 487 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12663 Post(s)
Liked: 7577
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
Redid Dirac using the Harman Curve and only EQing up to 500Hz (picked this since the mid-range crossover on the center starts at 600Hz).

Rewatching the same movie scenes I've been using over the last week for testing and this definitely sounds the best. The other times when I let Dirac EQ the entire frequency range it never sounded bad. And I would have never noticed it could have been "better" had I not tried. But having done so it definitely sounds better. There is more "life" it seems. How the speakers were meant to sound after EQing the low end to remove some room interaction.
Not sure whether when you say “redid Dirac” if you meant that you ran the measurements again. To accomplish what you wanted to try, you can simply load your previous project, lower the right “curtain” to the desired cut-off frequency for correction, click Optimize, and save the results in a different preset. If this is exactly what you did, then never mind.
AustinJerry is offline  
post #24 of 1011 Old 04-19-2020, 01:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
blake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Posts: 977
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Why doesn’t Dirac do real measurements again after it shows you the predicted target curve ?
blake is offline  
post #25 of 1011 Old 04-19-2020, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 12,895
Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6569 Post(s)
Liked: 3485
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
Why doesn’t Dirac do real measurements again after it shows you the predicted target curve ?
No need because the measured room behaves largely as a linear time-invariant system (LTI system), and so does the whole audio component chain. There is some non-linear behavior but it is insignificant. So taking "after" measurements doesn't fulfill any other purpose than satisfying OCD behavior and is a complete waste of time.
jlemoine2, mik2h and LiLAsN like this.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
markus767 is offline  
post #26 of 1011 Old 04-19-2020, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
steakhouse_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 504
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 201
The predicted curve is accurate. One just has to keep in mind that this is the average of all measured positions. It is also possible to see the familiy of all predicted curves.
steakhouse_ is offline  
post #27 of 1011 Old 04-19-2020, 07:19 AM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 22,601
Mentioned: 487 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12663 Post(s)
Liked: 7577
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
Why doesn’t Dirac do real measurements again after it shows you the predicted target curve ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
No need because the measured room behaves largely as a linear time-invariant system (LTI system), and so does the whole audio component chain. There is some non-linear behavior but it is insignificant. So taking "after" measurements doesn't fulfill any other purpose than satisfying OCD behavior and is a complete waste of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steakhouse_ View Post
The predicted curve is accurate. One just has to keep in mind that this is the average of all measured positions. It is also possible to see the familiy of all predicted curves.
Another reason not to do this is the mic placement. Placement affects the measurements, and it would be virtually impossible to reproduce the exact mic placements for a full calibration.

And as for the accuracy of the predicted curve, I agree that it is mathematically accurate. However, in my experience post-calibration REW measurements rarely show results precisely matching the predictions. Anyone care to hypothesize why this would be the case?
AustinJerry is offline  
post #28 of 1011 Old 04-19-2020, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 12,895
Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6569 Post(s)
Liked: 3485
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Another reason not to do this is the mic placement. Placement affects the measurements, and it would be virtually impossible to reproduce the exact mic placements for a full calibration.

And as for the accuracy of the predicted curve, I agree that it is mathematically accurate. However, in my experience post-calibration REW measurements rarely show results precisely matching the predictions. Anyone care to hypothesize why this would be the case?
They don't match for the very same reason you just mentioned, mic placement. When I run a single point optimization and remeasure without the mic being moving, the measured results are virtually identical.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
markus767 is offline  
post #29 of 1011 Old 04-19-2020, 07:30 AM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 22,601
Mentioned: 487 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12663 Post(s)
Liked: 7577
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
They don't match for the very same reason you just mentioned, mic placement. When I run a single point optimization and remeasure without the mic being moving, the measured results are virtually identical.
I’m sure you are correct. Easy to test.
AustinJerry is offline  
post #30 of 1011 Old 04-19-2020, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
steakhouse_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 504
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Another reason not to do this is the mic placement. Placement affects the measurements, and it would be virtually impossible to reproduce the exact mic placements for a full calibration.

And as for the accuracy of the predicted curve, I agree that it is mathematically accurate. However, in my experience post-calibration REW measurements rarely show results precisely matching the predictions. Anyone care to hypothesize why this would be the case?
Hmmm, maybe dirac sometimes fails to detect wether the measured peaks and dips are really 100% minimum phase or at least only partly. In that case a correction would not enterely behave as predicted.
steakhouse_ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off