Help - Using Yamaha AVR pre-out to Arcam Amp triggers shut off at moderate volume - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-05-2020, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help - Using Yamaha AVR pre-out to Arcam Amp triggers shut off at moderate volume

Thanks for taking a look at my question.

Breakdown of connections:
I have a Yamaha RX-V775 AV Receiver that I essentially just use as a processor or pre-amp to source AV audio and all video (Smart TV, Blu Ray etc)
Pre-out from Yamaha is connected to Arcam FMJ A19 Integrated Amp, which just has audio input.
The inputs on the Arcam Audio are the Yamaha AV and my PC/ dedicated DAC, which I use for all my digital music etc.
The Arcam outputs to two KEF LS50's. So I am only running a 2.0 system.
For AV, I adjust volume on the Arcam, and keep Yamaha at -8 db (explained below)

Why this setup?:
I like the sound of the DAC--> Arcam with the LS50s (ie. without the Yamaha in the mix). My wife will only let me have 1 set of speakers in the living room, so I need to run both the good audio for music from DAC and AV Audio to speakers through Arcam FMJ.

Issue:
At moderate volumes, the volume interaction between the Arcam and Yamaha auto-shuts off Yamaha, presumably due to safety feature. Particularly noticable when movies have explosions etc.

Troubleshooting:
I have double-checked that Speaker Ohm settings on Yamaha are set to 8 Ohms - which my speakers are. Arcam doesn't need modification.
I have double checked there are no shortages in all speaker wires including connections between components.
I have unplugged the speakers from the Arcam and played a movie with explosions etc, and the auto-shut off occurs. (Based upon this I have determined that its the interplay between units, not the speakers)

I have fiddled with volume settings on both units. The most stable is the Yamaha at -8db and Aracam at 35 or below, but shut off still occurs at this setting when there's a large boom or something to that effect in audio track.
This auto shutoff continues to occur on pure direct as well.

Two Questions:
1) Is there a way to overcome this with the current components and setup?
2) If not - I don't love the Yamaha. Would getting something like a Marantz NR-1510 overcome this? I ask about this unit in particular because my setup is not elaborate, so I don't need many inputs, Marantz is supposed to have good pre amp staging, and based upon user manual, it looks like Marantz auto shutoff deals with heat or shorts, not volume.

Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-05-2020, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhinomyte76 View Post
Thanks for taking a look at my question.

Breakdown of connections:
I have a Yamaha RX-V775 AV Receiver that I essentially just use as a processor or pre-amp to source AV audio and all video (Smart TV, Blu Ray etc)
Pre-out from Yamaha is connected to Arcam FMJ A19 Integrated Amp, which just has audio input.
The inputs on the Arcam Audio are the Yamaha AV and my PC/ dedicated DAC, which I use for all my digital music etc.
The Arcam outputs to two KEF LS50's. So I am only running a 2.0 system.
For AV, I adjust volume on the Arcam, and keep Yamaha at -8 db (explained below)

Why this setup?:
I like the sound of the DAC--> Arcam with the LS50s (ie. without the Yamaha in the mix). My wife will only let me have 1 set of speakers in the living room, so I need to run both the good audio for music from DAC and AV Audio to speakers through Arcam FMJ.

Issue:
At moderate volumes, the volume interaction between the Arcam and Yamaha auto-shuts off Yamaha, presumably due to safety feature. Particularly noticable when movies have explosions etc.

Troubleshooting:
I have double-checked that Speaker Ohm settings on Yamaha are set to 8 Ohms - which my speakers are. Arcam doesn't need modification.
I have double checked there are no shortages in all speaker wires including connections between components.
I have unplugged the speakers from the Arcam and played a movie with explosions etc, and the auto-shut off occurs. (Based upon this I have determined that its the interplay between units, not the speakers)

I have fiddled with volume settings on both units. The most stable is the Yamaha at -8db and Aracam at 35 or below, but shut off still occurs at this setting when there's a large boom or something to that effect in audio track.
This auto shutoff continues to occur on pure direct as well.

Two Questions:
1) Is there a way to overcome this with the current components and setup?
2) If not - I don't love the Yamaha. Would getting something like a Marantz NR-1510 overcome this? I ask about this unit in particular because my setup is not elaborate, so I don't need many inputs, Marantz is supposed to have good pre amp staging, and based upon user manual, it looks like Marantz auto shutoff deals with heat or shorts, not volume.

Thanks in advance!!
Read this--https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/potentially-stupid-question-regarding-pre-amp-power-amp-volume-adjustment.480872/
post #3 of 5 Old 05-05-2020, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargent0628 View Post
Read this--https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/potentially-stupid-question-regarding-pre-amp-power-amp-volume-adjustment.480872/
Dargent0628, thanks for the quick response. Definitely interesting, but my problem occurs irrespective of which amp volume stays the same and which one is used to change listening volume. When I mentioned optimum volume re: keeping Yamaha @ -8db, I meant from the standpoint of not having it auto-shutoff. I can slightly louder before it occurs at that setting. I definitely agree its not the optimum listening setting. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-05-2020, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
"I have unplugged the speakers from the Arcam and played a movie with explosions etc, and the auto-shut off occurs. (Based upon this I have determined that its the interplay between units, not the speakers)"

Are we to interpret this as that you plugged the speakers directly into the Yamaha and the shut-off still occurred? So perhaps you meant to say that you have determined that it is NOT the interplay between the receiver and amp? So then we can assume the issue is with the receiver? Or am I misreading this?

My first thought was that the receiver's pre-amp voltage output was not sufficient to drive the amp, but now I think this is not the problem.

Hmm...have you re-run YPAO with the amps gain wide open to see what level YPAO sets the receiver? YPAO is still effective even though you are only running two channels.

The receiver might be failing...that would be a bummer.

I used to run an Adcom GFA 555 from an old Kenwood receiver, driving some big EPIs that dipped to 4 ohm at volume. I bought the Kenwood off Craig's for a hundred bucks. Sounded great. If you don't have any plans to go multi-channel you might find a good receiver that still has the HDMI inputs you need for far less than the Marantz (which has a very solid reputation, BTW...).

Good luck!
post #5 of 5 Old 05-05-2020, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
"I have unplugged the speakers from the Arcam and played a movie with explosions etc, and the auto-shut off occurs. (Based upon this I have determined that its the interplay between units, not the speakers)"

Are we to interpret this as that you plugged the speakers directly into the Yamaha and the shut-off still occurred? So perhaps you meant to say that you have determined that it is NOT the interplay between the receiver and amp? So then we can assume the issue is with the receiver? Or am I misreading this?

My first thought was that the receiver's pre-amp voltage output was not sufficient to drive the amp, but now I think this is not the problem.

Hmm...have you re-run YPAO with the amps gain wide open to see what level YPAO sets the receiver? YPAO is still effective even though you are only running two channels.

The receiver might be failing...that would be a bummer.

I used to run an Adcom GFA 555 from an old Kenwood receiver, driving some big EPIs that dipped to 4 ohm at volume. I bought the Kenwood off Craig's for a hundred bucks. Sounded great. If you don't have any plans to go multi-channel you might find a good receiver that still has the HDMI inputs you need for far less than the Marantz (which has a very solid reputation, BTW...).

Good luck!
Thanks Dargent0628,

Actually, the statement "I have unplugged the speakers from the Arcam and played a movie with explosions etc, and the auto-shut off occurs. (Based upon this I have determined that its the interplay between units, not the speakers)" refers to no speakers being plugged in at all, to any device, and it still turns itself off.

I have never even run YPAO because of the 2 channels only. Thanks for the advise. I wil put the amp at max and run it to see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page