AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Receivers, Amps, and Processors (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/)
-   -   True stereo sub output on STR-ZA1000ES? (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/3144786-true-stereo-sub-output-str-za1000es.html)

fahrfrompuken 05-13-2020 11:47 AM

True stereo sub output on STR-ZA1000ES?

Hi all, this is my first post on AVS forum. I live in Austin, TX and am happy to be here.

I have a Sony STR-ZA1000ES receiver and cannot find any info on the ability of this receiver to drive dual subs in true stereo. When looking at the back of this receiver I do see 2 sub RCA outs, but neither of them are labeled as left or right so I'm thinking they are both the same (mono) outputs. This is listed as a 7.2 channel receiver but having 2 sub outputs is not the same as having 1 for Left and 1 for Right.

I am planning on using this to drive a 7.2 channel system and want the subs to run in stereo on my Polk LSI9s and dual SVS SB12-NSD subs when I listen to music.

skylarlove1999 05-13-2020 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fahrfrompuken (Post 59639484)
Hi all, this is my first post on AVS forum. I live in Austin, TX and am happy to be here.

I have a Sony STR-ZA1000ES receiver and cannot find any info on the ability of this receiver to drive dual subs in true stereo. When looking at the back of this receiver I do see 2 sub RCA outs, but neither of them are labeled as left or right so I'm thinking they are both the same (mono) outputs. This is listed as a 7.2 channel receiver but having 2 sub outputs is not the same as having 1 for Left and 1 for Right.

I am planning on using this to drive a 7.2 channel system and want the subs to run in stereo on my Polk LSI9s and dual SVS SB12-NSD subs when I listen to music.

The subwoofer handles the low end frequencies in music and movies. There would not be any directional/panning in the LFE channel. I am confused as to what you mean by having a left and right subwoofer channel.

I can understand when using any room correction software, it is nice when the receiver has separate processing built in for two subwoofers for purposes of calibrating. I don't believe the Sony room correction software has that capability but if you buy a UMIK and REW software you could do it yourself. Sorry for not understanding to what you are referring.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

bobknavs 05-13-2020 02:47 PM

The AVRs that I know of with independent sub outputs don't provide a stereo signal to them. They allow different volume and delay settings for each output to allow equalization for sub positions, but the signal is basically still mono.

Due to the lack of localization of low frequency sounds, stereo subwoofer outputs are not usually provided.

I'm not completely certain, but I think that the STR-ZA1000ES provides the same signal to both sub outputs. No separate volume and delay adjustments.

fahrfrompuken 05-14-2020 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobknavs (Post 59640522)
The AVRs that I know of with independent sub outputs don't provide a stereo signal to them. They allow different volume and delay settings for each output to allow equalization for sub positions, but the signal is basically still mono.

Due to the lack of localization of low frequency sounds, stereo subwoofer outputs are not usually provided.

I'm not completely certain, but I think that the STR-ZA1000ES provides the same signal to both sub outputs. No separate volume and delay adjustments.

I think that's going to be an issue if I am attempting to use my subs as a true extension of my bookshelf speakers in stereo. I want to use them to reinforce the low end of each bookshelf speaker and will be placing them at the front of the room either below or next to the bookshelves.

I am used to the car environment where my processor has 8 individual channels where I can set level, crossover slope, crossover frequencies (even add multiples), and phase for each driver in the chain. Each sub gets it's own channel just like the tweeters, mids, and midbass do. For subs I can set crossover frequency, slope, level, and phase of each independently. Some car audio processors like the Zapco HDSP-Z16 even have 16 independent channels. Sounds like I need to add a processor like the MiniDSP (maybe even one with Dirac Live) to get the functionality I want.

fahrfrompuken 05-14-2020 06:21 AM

Are there any Home Theater processors or receivers available that provide true stereo sub output?

grasshoppers 05-14-2020 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fahrfrompuken (Post 59643338)
Are there any Home Theater processors or receivers available that provide true stereo sub output?

Not an AVR but, it has home theater bypass capability.

Anthem STR stereo integrated receiver/amp

https://www.anthemav.com/products-cu.../page=overview