True stereo sub output on STR-ZA1000ES? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-13-2020, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
True stereo sub output on STR-ZA1000ES?

Hi all, this is my first post on AVS forum. I live in Austin, TX and am happy to be here.

I have a Sony STR-ZA1000ES receiver and cannot find any info on the ability of this receiver to drive dual subs in true stereo. When looking at the back of this receiver I do see 2 sub RCA outs, but neither of them are labeled as left or right so I'm thinking they are both the same (mono) outputs. This is listed as a 7.2 channel receiver but having 2 sub outputs is not the same as having 1 for Left and 1 for Right.

I am planning on using this to drive a 7.2 channel system and want the subs to run in stereo on my Polk LSI9s and dual SVS SB12-NSD subs when I listen to music.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-13-2020, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2052 Post(s)
Liked: 2119
Quote:
Originally Posted by fahrfrompuken View Post
Hi all, this is my first post on AVS forum. I live in Austin, TX and am happy to be here.

I have a Sony STR-ZA1000ES receiver and cannot find any info on the ability of this receiver to drive dual subs in true stereo. When looking at the back of this receiver I do see 2 sub RCA outs, but neither of them are labeled as left or right so I'm thinking they are both the same (mono) outputs. This is listed as a 7.2 channel receiver but having 2 sub outputs is not the same as having 1 for Left and 1 for Right.

I am planning on using this to drive a 7.2 channel system and want the subs to run in stereo on my Polk LSI9s and dual SVS SB12-NSD subs when I listen to music.
The subwoofer handles the low end frequencies in music and movies. There would not be any directional/panning in the LFE channel. I am confused as to what you mean by having a left and right subwoofer channel.

I can understand when using any room correction software, it is nice when the receiver has separate processing built in for two subwoofers for purposes of calibrating. I don't believe the Sony room correction software has that capability but if you buy a UMIK and REW software you could do it yourself. Sorry for not understanding to what you are referring.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tristan Jones
post #3 of 6 Old 05-13-2020, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2829 Post(s)
Liked: 2032
The AVRs that I know of with independent sub outputs don't provide a stereo signal to them. They allow different volume and delay settings for each output to allow equalization for sub positions, but the signal is basically still mono.

Due to the lack of localization of low frequency sounds, stereo subwoofer outputs are not usually provided.

I'm not completely certain, but I think that the STR-ZA1000ES provides the same signal to both sub outputs. No separate volume and delay adjustments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-14-2020, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
The AVRs that I know of with independent sub outputs don't provide a stereo signal to them. They allow different volume and delay settings for each output to allow equalization for sub positions, but the signal is basically still mono.

Due to the lack of localization of low frequency sounds, stereo subwoofer outputs are not usually provided.

I'm not completely certain, but I think that the STR-ZA1000ES provides the same signal to both sub outputs. No separate volume and delay adjustments.

I think that's going to be an issue if I am attempting to use my subs as a true extension of my bookshelf speakers in stereo. I want to use them to reinforce the low end of each bookshelf speaker and will be placing them at the front of the room either below or next to the bookshelves.

I am used to the car environment where my processor has 8 individual channels where I can set level, crossover slope, crossover frequencies (even add multiples), and phase for each driver in the chain. Each sub gets it's own channel just like the tweeters, mids, and midbass do. For subs I can set crossover frequency, slope, level, and phase of each independently. Some car audio processors like the Zapco HDSP-Z16 even have 16 independent channels. Sounds like I need to add a processor like the MiniDSP (maybe even one with Dirac Live) to get the functionality I want.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-14-2020, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

Are there any Home Theater processors or receivers available that provide true stereo sub output?
post #6 of 6 Old 05-14-2020, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by fahrfrompuken View Post
Are there any Home Theater processors or receivers available that provide true stereo sub output?
Not an AVR but, it has home theater bypass capability.

Anthem STR stereo integrated receiver/amp

https://www.anthemav.com/products-cu.../page=overview

(Main)-Marantz 6012*Outlaw Audio M2200*Rythmik F12 subs*Paradigm Signature S6,C1,S1
******Harman Kardon DMC1000 (music)-Assassin HTPC (movies).
(Bedroom)-Marantz SR5003*Paradigm Studio 40,SE Center,SE One*SVS SB-2000 subs*Sony S6200
(Music room)-Outlaw Audio RR2150*Sierra Two ribbon speakers*Rythmik L12 sub*Yamaha CDR-HD1500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page