Pioneer VSX-933 vs Denon AVRX3600 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By altpensacola
  • 1 Post By philpoe
  • 1 Post By afrogt

post #1 of 6 Old 05-13-2020, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Pioneer VSX-933 vs Denon AVRX3600

Any advice or opinions would be much appreciated!

I currently have a Pioneer VSX-933 using a set of (old) Tannoy SFX 5.1 speakers and 2 Eltax Monitor upward firing speakers so I can have a 5.1.2 system and play Atmos where available.

I am thinking about replacing the Pioneer with a Denon AVRX3600 as the reviews for it seem fantastic and I am wondering if it will lead to a noticeable improvement in sound when watching films.

My current set up is ok but it doesn’t blow me away. I often have to change the settings as the dialogue is too quiet and other sounds are too high. I also wonder if it could be doing “more”. If the different sounds in a film could be more clearly noticeable and if the Atmos sound “effects” (the sound seeming to be coming from different parts of the room) could be more significant.

I am conscious, though, that I may not see any significant improvements because the issue may not be the Pioneer but that my speakers aren’t great. Or because I have not got the settings on the Pioneer quite right. Or maybe I can only get so much “Atmos” because my room isn’t too big?

Is the Denon a significantly better piece of equipment? Am I likely to see a noticeable increase in quality?

I don’t want to spend money to find nothing has changed!

Any advice or opinions would be much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-13-2020, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 189
I would not blame your sound issues on that Pioneer when using those little speakers. If you really want home theater
look at investing in bigger speakers. Even if you only borrow a left/right/center set up to test I bet you would find out what that Pioneer can do.
Gavilav likes this.

Music, more music.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-13-2020, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 56
If you replaced the Pioneer with the Denon, I'd be surprised if you heard any difference.
As altpensacola points out, your speakers are a significant limiting factor.

Looking at the specs of the Tannoy SFX 5.1, the satellites are stated to play from 140Hz-78KHz, and the subwoofer from 45Hz-140Hz. That's not great for home theater, to put it mildly.
http://www.bm.rs/SFX%205.1%20brochure.pdf

The Eltax Monitor Atmos is more in line with what you may expect. 70Hz-20KHz. They're probably alright for now, but if you had a way to mount them on the ceiling, firing down, they'd probably be more effective.
https://84ba713e-9baa-4c4c-bf83-e857...5170651f5c.pdf

The Denon is "better" for at least having more channels (9, expandable to 11), better room correction (Audyssey XT32), and tested with superior audio output among AVRs, but you'll never be able to see the benefit of those.
If you're going to spend money equal to the cost of the Denon receiver, it's much better spent on speakers, because if you spent it on the Denon, you'd still have to spend on speakers.

Find a place with an easy return policy or risk-free trial and see for yourself. Depending on where you're located you could probably see a huge difference spending half the cost of the AVR on speakers (given the models of speakers, it suggests UK).
I say half on the speakers because you'll want to spend at least half on the subwoofer!

If the majority usage of your system is HT movies, as opposed to music, IMHO the sub can have the largest impact (literally) in HT, then the center channel, then whatever you can do for the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavilav View Post
I currently have a Pioneer VSX-933 using a set of (old) Tannoy SFX 5.1 speakers and 2 Eltax Monitor upward firing speakers so I can have a 5.1.2 system and play Atmos where available.
Is the Denon a significantly better piece of equipment? Am I likely to see a noticeable increase in quality?
Quote:
Originally Posted by altpensacola View Post
I would not blame your sound issues on that Pioneer when using those little speakers. If you really want home theater
look at investing in bigger speakers. Even if you only borrow a left/right/center set up to test I bet you would find out what that Pioneer can do.
Gavilav likes this.

Last edited by philpoe; 05-13-2020 at 10:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-16-2020, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your advice. It makes complete sense to me and has helped me to decide to hold off changing the Pioneer and maybe have a think about what I can do about the speakers instead.

In the meantime I am going to see what I can do with the Pioneer settings. A while ago the Tannoy Sub stopped working so I changed it for a Revel B8 wordless subwoofer:

https://www.revelspeakers.com/produc...gid=subwoofers

Based on the Tannoy speakers and this sub, what would you recommend me setting the crossover at? I am currently at 100hz. Do you think I might be better off at, say, 120hz?

Thanks again.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-16-2020, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2419 Post(s)
Liked: 1583
The Tannoy speakers are definitely the weak link in your setup. 3" drivers and the listed frequency response is only down to 140hz, so a 100hz crossover is way too low.

Even the Revel sub only goes down to 45hz, not really what you'd call a home theater sub or experience for that matter.

I don't know how much you have to spend but maybe look the RSL Speedwoofer 10S. If you were prepared to buy a x3600 this would be well within your budget.
https://rslspeakers.com/products/rsl-speedwoofer-10s/

And either RSL CG3 or NHT SuperZero speakers. The NHT is half the cost of the CG3
https://rslspeakers.com/products/cg3...pa_color=black
https://www.amazon.com/NHT-SuperZero.../dp/B00CKNOYWK

I think these would be better than the CG3 but in the same price range.
https://www.amazon.com/NHT-Bookshelf.../dp/B019PZ95J2
Gavilav likes this.

Afro GT

Last edited by afrogt; 05-16-2020 at 08:10 AM.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-23-2020, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page