Denon PMA-800, Yamaha A-S801, or none?! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By smithsabom

post #1 of 11 Old 05-20-2020, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Question Denon PMA-800, Yamaha A-S801, or none?!

So, the crappy DAC I was using with my old Nakamichi SR-2A decided to die. I was this close to ordering the Modi 3, when I decided to look for an amp with DAC and the trouble started.... how about buying a new toy?!

After reading/watching some reviews buying one of the Denon PMA-800NE or Yamaha A-S801 is tempting. Question is if the Yamaha is really superior to the Denon considering the slightly higher price. Anyone has listened to them side by side?

I am interested in the output quality rather than the features. as for the foreseeable future the single source will be my computer in my home office...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-20-2020, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 136
I haven't listened to the Denon, sorry.
But I have spent time with the Yamaha and it's a mint'er!
Great sounding unit.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-20-2020, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked: 369
for about the same price is the PS audio sprout 100

also check out music direct for a bunch in that price range

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Ascend Acoustics Duo,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-21-2020, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, but that Sprout is a little too simplistic for my taste. I need a couple of those bells and whistles...

I checked music direct; is there anything specific with internal DAC that you suggest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsabom View Post
for about the same price is the PS audio sprout 100

also check out music direct for a bunch in that price range
post #5 of 11 Old 05-21-2020, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagondeh View Post
So, the crappy DAC I was using with my old Nakamichi SR-2A decided to die. I was this close to ordering the Modi 3, when I decided to look for an amp with DAC and the trouble started.... how about buying a new toy?!

After reading/watching some reviews buying one of the Denon PMA-800NE or Yamaha A-S801 is tempting. Question is if the Yamaha is really superior to the Denon considering the slightly higher price. Anyone has listened to them side by side?

I am interested in the output quality rather than the features. as for the foreseeable future the single source will be my computer in my home office...
If it were me it would be none. I would get a good measuring receiver One that the amps and dac measured well such as the Denon X3600 (link)
Very good room correction with the app, amps measure well. Lots of power. Subwoofer/bass management, built in streaming, Additional amps can be used for second zone. I have the x3500 in my living room and enjoy it.
Edit: It just seems like these manufacturers are often times just removing features from receivers (room correction/subwoofer outs) and charging more for “2 channel” devices.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-21-2020, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, but that Sprout is a little too simplistic for my taste. I need a couple of those bells and whistles...

I checked music direct; is there anything specific with internal DAC that you suggest?
the NADs get consistent high marks, as does Cambridge audio. If you are looking at main stream brands, I would pick the Marantz 7000 over the denon 800, due to the network capability.

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Ascend Acoustics Duo,
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-21-2020, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsabom View Post
the NADs get consistent high marks, as does Cambridge audio. If you are looking at main stream brands, I would pick the Marantz 7000 over the denon 800, due to the network capability.
I wouldn't mind any brand. I want it have good quality (superior to the old Nakamichi + DAC), internal DAC (if it has USB input even better), and prefer to have the Bass/Treble and either Subwoofer output or 2nd Speakers support.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-21-2020, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
I wouldn't mind any brand. I want it have good quality (superior to the old Nakamichi + DAC), internal DAC (if it has USB input even better), and prefer to have the Bass/Treble and either Subwoofer output or 2nd Speakers support.
If you need more bells and whistles and have space, you probably will get the best bang for buck with a receiver as others suggested (I have a X4300H in my living room which has been fantastic). I was recently looking at external DACs/amps for a PC setup to drive some bookshelf speakers and just bought a Nad D3045. I've only had it for a few days but am pretty happy with it. It doesnt have EQ or room correction like a receiver but I have limited desk space and it is a nice all in one solutuion for a desktop setup with USB (24/384), bluetooth aptX HD receive/transmit, subwoofer out (not currently using but hope to add a sub one day), headphone out, and multiple inputs.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-22-2020, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Pagondeh - I think if you post in a receiver / processor forum about 2-channel integrated amps without tuners... you will largely get responses from people who own multi-channel receivers, who will in turn, recommend multi-channel receivers with tuners built in.
Probably better to post your question in a 2-channel part of this forum?
post #10 of 11 Old 05-22-2020, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnersfella View Post
Pagondeh - I think if you post in a receiver / processor forum about 2-channel integrated amps without tuners... you will largely get responses from people who own multi-channel receivers, who will in turn, recommend multi-channel receivers with tuners built in.
Probably better to post your question in a 2-channel part of this forum?
Thank you! That's a good point; I may re-post there
post #11 of 11 Old 05-23-2020, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

check out: https://outlawaudio.com/shop/index.p...oller=category
leecreek likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page