Outlaw 2220 Amp vs Monoprice Monolith - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By iStorm

post #1 of 15 Old 05-21-2020, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Outlaw 2220 Amp vs Monoprice Monolith

The RCAs on my old Emotiva XPA-3 running the LCRs are about to break and even though I will try out the RCA connector fix I want to move to something new for LCR duty.

I have JTR 212 RTs so they are very efficient but I want to make sure they get enough power to produce dynamic sounds.

I am considering either 3 of the Outlaw 2220 mono amps or a 5 or 7 channel Monoprice Monolith amp.

It looks like the Outlaw 2200 amps were good but I couldn't really find any information on the new 2220 amps which are a redesign and weigh 1.5 lbs less.

Trying to weigh going with the benefit of mono amps which I have not seen reviews on vs going with the well known Monolith amps. I would have unused channels but that always allows me to run more speakers or handle channels if one of the other amps go out.

Anyone able to comment / help?

Tx much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-21-2020, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 58
post #3 of 15 Old 05-21-2020, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, unfortunately the Outlaw review was for the old 2200 amp and not the newer 2220 amp. It looks like the newer amp is no longer made in the same plant in Taiwan that makes Parasound amps and is now made in China.

In theory the design "should" roughly be the same but the 1.5 lb weight drop has to be due to some bigger change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 05-21-2020, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2891 Post(s)
Liked: 2092
I liked the look of the 2220 better when Outlaw offered 3 of them for $200 less than their current bundle price.

(I don't own any.)
post #5 of 15 Old 05-21-2020, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 728
Did you consider the cherry amplifiers from digital amplifier company?

If you would ask Jeff that’s what he would recommend since you have the RMs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lumagen Radiance Pro HDR Tone Mapping Guide: Click Here

Lumagen Radiance Pro Setup & Calibration Tips: Click Here

UHD-BD Backup & Playback Guidance Link
post #6 of 15 Old 05-22-2020, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Here is a reply from Outlaw audio in regards to the 2220 changes:

The input stage on the Model 2220 has been improved. It also has an input switch to help lower noise.

The front panel on the Model 2200 was much bulkier with more aluminum. The faceplate of the Model 2220 has been more streamlined and, while brushed aluminum, weighs significantly less.

The Model 2200 did not have a max power output of 600w, but it did have a max power consumption of 600w - as does the Model 2220. Both amplifiers are Class G.
post #7 of 15 Old 05-22-2020, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbsocal View Post

The input stage on the Model 2220 has been improved. It also has an input switch to help lower noise.

The front panel on the Model 2200 was much bulkier with more aluminum. The faceplate of the Model 2220 has been more streamlined and, while brushed aluminum, weighs significantly less.

The Model 2200 did not have a max power output of 600w, but it did have a max power consumption of 600w - as does the Model 2220. Both amplifiers are Class G.
And the 2220 is almost twice as tall as the 2200.

3.2, Ascend Acoustics Sierra RAAL Towers, Ascend Acoustics Duo LCR center, dual SVS SB-3000 subs, Outlaw 2200 LCR monoblocks, Denon X3500H
post #8 of 15 Old 05-22-2020, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4096 Post(s)
Liked: 3408
^^^
The 2220 is 3", the 2200 is 2".
post #9 of 15 Old 05-22-2020, 11:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 262
UPDATE: It seems to be a trigger or trigger wire issue not DOA issue with my amp.
Here is my experience so far with my new 7 channel Monoprice Monolith amp:

We spent all day hooking up our new pb16 ultra subs (they are ginormous and not fun to carry up steps, lol), our new processor, wall mounted surrounds and then the amp. We powered on everything a bit ago and we were all ready to start calibrating... but wait... the new monolith amp is dead and won't turn on. No blue light. No noise. Nothing. So now after waiting 8 days for the slow fedex ground shipping to get to us, we have to spend memorial day weekend without a movie room. This is my experience so far. Hopefully the next one doesnt take too long to get to us and powers on. I had just returned the Emotiva amp to get this Monolith that everyone says is made by ATI and is a beast, but I probably should have kept the Emotiva. I guess I'm cursed.

Last edited by iStorm; 05-23-2020 at 11:28 AM.
post #10 of 15 Old 05-23-2020, 04:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1058 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by iStorm View Post
Here is my experience so far with my new 7 channel Monoprice Monolith amp:

We spent all day hooking up our new pb16 ultra subs (they are ginormous and not fun to carry up steps, lol), our new processor, wall mounted surrounds and then the amp. We powered on everything a bit ago and we were all ready to start calibrating... but wait... the new monolith amp is dead and won't turn on. No blue light. No noise. Nothing. So now after waiting 8 days for the slow fedex ground shipping to get to us, we have to spend memorial day weekend without a movie room. This is my experience so far. Hopefully the next one doesnt take too long to get to us and powers on. I had just returned the Emotiva amp to get this Monolith that everyone says is made by ATI and is a beast, but I probably should have kept the Emotiva. I guess I'm cursed.
Another person had same issue.Read last two posts in Outlaw audio owners thread.I also read some owners were having issues and they posted on amazon which put me off buying this amp.Im looking at parasound now or Outlaw.

Matt
post #11 of 15 Old 05-23-2020, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
Another person had same issue.Read last two posts in Outlaw audio owners thread.I also read some owners were having issues and they posted on amazon which put me off buying this amp.Im looking at parasound now or Outlaw.
Wow, those are some very alarming issues people are having with the Monolith amps. I was hoping my amp situation was just a freak of nature. I am now wondering if I should even opt for a replacement. It sounds like their quality control is terrible! I thought these were built by the best amp company (ATI)? The comparable Outlaw is double the price of this amp mainly due to being truly balanced which most processors don't even have. I have balanced XLRs on my anthem processor but it isn't truly balanced so that's why I went with the Monolith. I also heard Outlaw now makes their amps in China, which is offputting considering their price. I know the 7220 would be a killer of an amp, even if made in China but I'm not sure for double the money. I may have to consider Emotiva again because the 2 amps I got from them worked perfectly. I just figured this Monolith would be much better in the long run... This is disappointing.
post #12 of 15 Old 05-23-2020, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 3324 Post(s)
Liked: 2202
Quote:
Anyone able to comment / help?
Quote:
I may have to consider Emotiva again because the 2 amps I got from them worked perfectly. I just figured this Monolith would be much better in the long run... This is disappointing.
Just a Made In USA alternative....

https://www.d-sonic.com/

smbsocal - You can get a lot of power out of these for those speakers, do custom power for a multi-channel, or go mono. You might not want to spend the money, but just throwing it out there for you.

iStorm, I know you have an AVM60, and this is a great pairing. A few AVM owners on this forum using them.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #13 of 15 Old 05-23-2020, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1058 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Wow, those are some very alarming issues people are having with the Monolith amps. I was hoping my amp situation was just a freak of nature. I am now wondering if I should even opt for a replacement. It sounds like their quality control is terrible! I thought these were built by the best amp company (ATI)? The comparable Outlaw is double the price of this amp mainly due to being truly balanced which most processors don't even have. I have balanced XLRs on my anthem processor but it isn't truly balanced so that's why I went with the Monolith. I also heard Outlaw now makes their amps in China, which is offputting considering their price. I know the 7220 would be a killer of an amp, even if made in China but I'm not sure for double the money. I may have to consider Emotiva again because the 2 amps I got from them worked perfectly. I just figured this Monolith would be much better in the long run... This is disappointing.
Yes it is.Ive been hunting for a 3 to 5 channel amp for months. Dont need one since my yamaha 2080 seems fine but its time to move to next level. Outlaw is most inexpensive for 5 channel, Emotiva has mixed messages and some say its not reliable and some don't like the new power supply.Monolith was going to be my choice but too many issue stories.The best reviewed and most reliable seems to be the parasound but of course its the most expensive. Im thinking of getting one when the country opens up more and perhaps I may be able to find some sales. Might even wait till Black Friday. I figure buy the best and never look back.

Matt
post #14 of 15 Old 05-23-2020, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
Yes it is.Ive been hunting for a 3 to 5 channel amp for months. Dont need one since my yamaha 2080 seems fine but its time to move to next level. Outlaw is most inexpensive for 5 channel, Emotiva has mixed messages and some say its not reliable and some don't like the new power supply.Monolith was going to be my choice but too many issue stories.The best reviewed and most reliable seems to be the parasound but of course its the most expensive. Im thinking of getting one when the country opens up more and perhaps I may be able to find some sales. Might even wait till Black Friday. I figure buy the best and never look back.
The Monolith I just received seems to be working perfectly after fixing the trigger wire issue. It probably has a design where it won't power on if the trigger wire is not seating correctly. I swapped out the trigger wire and all is good. I think if the monoprice works, it is the best bang for buck amp you can get. I can't even hear it running.
spyboy, mattg3 and christoofar like this.
post #15 of 15 Old 06-08-2020, 02:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

They're putting a positive twist on a downgrade- all CE brands do this, every year's new model cuts a corner or 2- usually in areas where you cannot see, but in the case of power amps, most likely areas you can here. I was in the market for a pair, but after looking at the new amps I decided to go elsewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page