Official Crown XLS Amplifier Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By AlphaPie

post #1 of 10 Old 05-22-2020, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Official Crown XLS Amplifier Thread

I did some searching, it does not appear these crowns have an official thread started. This thread can serve as such for driving main speakers, sub woofers and transducers. Or, I suppose, anything else in your room. Hopefully this thread will contain, and ultimately culminate into a thread of information about ingratiating these phenomenal amps to those who seek it. Below is a easy to read spec sheet for both the now disconnected series 1000+ as well as the new 1002+.

The now disconnected 1000+ series have a silver face plate and the gain knobs are on the left side.

Features
XLS High Performance, Lightweight Class D amp weighs less than 11 lbs.
Integrated PureBand™ Crossover System for better performance and control
Peakx™ Limiters provide maximum output while protecting your speakers
XLR, 1/4", RCA inputs provide outstanding flexibility
Efficient forced-air fans prevent excessive thermal buildup
Electronically balanced XLR inputs; touchproof binding post and Speakon® outputs
Precision detented level controls, power switch, power LED, and six LEDs which indicate signal, clip and fault for each channel
Three-Year, No-Fault, Fully Transferable Warranty completely protects your investment and guarantees its specifications

The new line, 1002+ has changed in color and knobs are located in the center. Other add features include an input sensitivity adjustment as well as the ability to turn off the front display and lights.

Features
Class D amp with Crown's ultra-efficient DriveCore technology weighs less than 11 lb (5 kg)
Higher DSP capabilities: More control; has band pass filter per channel
Increased lighting functionality; turn off all LED indicators except clip and thermal to reduce distraction in dark venues
Selectable input sensitivity; 1.4Vrms and .775Vrms options so that amp can be driven at full power
Set sleep mode after specified time without having to press a button
Security setting disables menu buttons; menu locked/unlocked by entering combination
System reset allows factory settings to be restored
Remote power trigger
Peakx™ Limiters provide maximum output while protecting your speakers
XLR, 1/4", RCA inputs provide flexibility
Integrated PureBand™ Crossover System for better performance and control
Efficient forced-air fans prevent excessive thermal buildup

diablo900t likes this.

Living Room: Denon X4500H | Crown XLS 2500 & 1002 | RBH R-515 LCR | Morel Surrounds | DIY 12" Infinity Subs w/ Inuke 3000

Bedroom: Yamaha RX V477 | Polk Audio S15 | Pioneer SW-8

Last edited by AlphaPie; 05-22-2020 at 05:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-22-2020, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm interested to know how many of you are using devices to increase the voltage from an rca output to the 1000 series amps, and what device?

Living Room: Denon X4500H | Crown XLS 2500 & 1002 | RBH R-515 LCR | Morel Surrounds | DIY 12" Infinity Subs w/ Inuke 3000

post #3 of 10 Old 05-24-2020, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I have 2 2502's and I'm using an Art clean box pro on each.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-24-2020, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by corey99699 View Post
I have 2 2502's and I'm using an Art clean box pro on each.

I thought selectable input sensitivity made Art Clean Box unnecessary?

"Excuse me...What does God need with a Starship?" (Captain Kirk - Star Trek V: The Final Frontier)
post #5 of 10 Old 05-24-2020, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecowboy View Post
I thought selectable input sensitivity made Art Clean Box unnecessary?
I thought so too before buying them, but it just wasn't enough in my case.

post #6 of 10 Old 05-24-2020, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey99699 View Post
I thought so too before buying them, but it just wasn't enough in my case.

I have an xls 2500 that is on max gains and it should be melting my speakers right now, though it isnt. I was looking at the Rolls MB15b ProMatch, which has adjustable attenuation for about $55, I'd only need 2. I'm guessing you noticed a large increase in volume/wattage?

post #7 of 10 Old 05-24-2020, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaPie View Post
I have an xls 2500 that is on max gains and it should be melting my speakers right now, though it isnt. I was looking at the Rolls MB15b ProMatch, which has adjustable attenuation for about $55, I'd only need 2. I'm guessing you noticed a large increase in volume/wattage?
I had the same problem, and yes the difference is night and day after adding the clean box pro's.

post #8 of 10 Old 05-24-2020, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Own both a XLS 1000 & 1500. Still on a Marantz AV7701 preamp and the balanced preouts can drive 2.4v. Never had an issue driving the amps to full power. On other receivers with rca preouts, I had to use a ART CleanBox Pro. With the new amps having a selectable input sensitivity down to .775v should eliminate the use of level converters. I would like to have the remote power trigger of the new amps too, since I leave them on all the time.

Also, no one has mentioned the biggest issues that turns people off this amp, the undefeatable 6dB/octave 20Hz HPF, at least on the older versions. If you are building an enclosure, just keep this in mind if you plan on powering it with these amps. It has saved me from having another DSP device in the chain on my own builds. Just model it in your design.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-24-2020, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiel'thalin View Post
Own both a XLS 1000 & 1500. Still on a Marantz AV7701 preamp and the balanced preouts can drive 2.4v. Never had an issue driving the amps to full power. On other receivers with rca preouts, I had to use a ART CleanBox Pro. With the new amps having a selectable input sensitivity down to .775v should eliminate the use of level converters. I would like to have the remote power trigger of the new amps too, since I leave them on all the time.

Also, no one has mentioned the biggest issues that turns people off this amp, the undefeatable 6dB/octave 20Hz HPF, at least on the older versions. If you are building an enclosure, just keep this in mind if you plan on powering it with these amps. It has saved me from having another DSP device in the chain on my own builds. Just model it in your design.
I'm glad you brought that up, I wasn't aware of that high pass filter being active even in the amps bypass mode. Are you saying this lock filter is not present on the 1002+ models? I haven't ran into it since I use an inuke for sub duty.

post #10 of 10 Old 05-24-2020, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaPie View Post
I'm glad you brought that up, I wasn't aware of that high pass filter being active even in the amps bypass mode. Are you saying this lock filter is not present on the 1002+ models? I haven't ran into it since I use an inuke for sub duty.
There are many threads about the filter issue with the XLS series and the 1002+ are most likely the same. Crown is being quoted that is it not defeatable and is an inherent design of the amp. Maybe I shouldn't use the verbiage "DSP", as this is nothing like the DSP Behringer's.

Attached is a winisd model of the vented box that I used on my 1st build with a locally sourced driver. I learned a-lot about design and my next step is to actual get into room measurements. I would like to see how my subs respond to my listening environment before moving on with another build.
Attached Files
File Type: zip winisd_Phoenix Gold R3 Vented.zip (1.1 KB, 6 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page