Home setup help - Canada - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 05-23-2020, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
agk
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Home setup help - Canada

Hi all,

Need some help with an AVR recommendation or some alternate setup to connect all the speakers in my home.

House has 11 speakers total. All terminate into one cabinet in the basement.

Living room has 2 in wall speakers.

Basement has 9 speakers: 7 on one side of the basement in a TV area (2 of which are ceiling speakers) and another 2 ceiling speakers on the other side of the room.

Attached a crappy sketch of the basement layout.

I'd like to set up a 5.1.2 in the basement on the TV area of the basement.
And somehow control the other living room and basement speakers either as one zone or two.

If you guys have any other suggestions I'm all ears.

I guess a 11 channel AVR would work the best but my budget isn't that high.
Would an AVR and a separate power amp be a good idea?

Budget: CAD$ 1600


Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sketch.png
Views:	15
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	2731580  
agk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 05-23-2020, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 535
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by agk View Post
Hi all,

I'd like to set up a 5.1.2 in the basement on the TV area of the basement.
And somehow control the other living room and basement speakers either as one zone or two.

If you guys have any other suggestions I'm all ears.

I guess a 11 channel AVR would work the best but my budget isn't that high.
Would an AVR and a separate power amp be a good idea?

Budget: CAD$ 1600


Thanks
I recommend this set up instead:
9 channels amp + unexpensive stereo amp will allow this.
9 ch amp also have zone 2 /3 to use the Living Room (but no together with the 7.x.4 in the basement).

Last edited by asabrag; 05-23-2020 at 05:52 PM.
asabrag is online now  
post #3 of 15 Old 05-24-2020, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
agk
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Do you think a 7.2 AVR + a 4 channel power amp is a worthwhile option?

That way I can power the 2 living room speakers and 2 basement speakers separately?



Quote:
Originally Posted by asabrag View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by agk View Post
Hi all,

I'd like to set up a 5.1.2 in the basement on the TV area of the basement.
And somehow control the other living room and basement speakers either as one zone or two.

If you guys have any other suggestions I'm all ears.

I guess a 11 channel AVR would work the best but my budget isn't that high.
Would an AVR and a separate power amp be a good idea?

Budget: CAD$ 1600


Thanks
I recommend this set up instead:
9 channels amp + unexpensive stereo amp will allow this.
9 ch amp also have zone 2 /3 to use the Living Room (but no together with the 7.x.4 in the basement).
agk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 15 Old 05-24-2020, 02:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Danonano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 388
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by agk View Post
Budget: CAD$ 1600


Thanks

The new Denon X3600H is evidently very good, although I haven't used it myself.
Danonano is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 05-24-2020, 11:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 86,787
Mentioned: 822 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24167 Post(s)
Liked: 13359
Quote:
Originally Posted by agk View Post
Do you think a 7.2 AVR + a 4 channel power amp is a worthwhile option?

That way I can power the 2 living room speakers and 2 basement speakers separately?
Yes, especially if you don't want to add additional speakers and you're okay with the 4 extra speakers being on the same Zone 2 (although ensure the AVR has Zone 2 pre-outs).

However, likely less costly to purchase two 2CH amps (ex. AudioSource Amp100VS) connected to a speaker selector.

Another option is to purchase an older 9CH model with both Zone 2 and Zone 3 capability (eg. Denon X4500H) where the AVR could power 7.2 + Zone 2 speakers and you would use a 2CH external amp to power the Zone 3 speakers.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 05-25-2020, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
agk
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by agk View Post
Do you think a 7.2 AVR + a 4 channel power amp is a worthwhile option?

That way I can power the 2 living room speakers and 2 basement speakers separately?
Yes, especially if you don't want to add additional speakers and you're okay with the 4 extra speakers being on the same Zone 2 (although ensure the AVR has Zone 2 pre-outs).

However, likely less costly to purchase two 2CH amps (ex. AudioSource Amp100VS) connected to a speaker selector.

Another option is to purchase an older 9CH model with both Zone 2 and Zone 3 capability (eg. Denon X4500H) where the AVR could power 7.2 + Zone 2 speakers and you would use a 2CH external amp to power the Zone 3 speakers.
Thanks for the insight.

I found a refurbished Marantz SR6011 and was thinking about going with this. Or a new Onkyo TX-NR797. Any thoughts about these two?

A Denon X4500H is priced quite high for now. I'll have to wait for a sale.

Also could I split the 4 speakers and power them all by a single 2 channel amp? Would it mess up the speakers or the amp or is the only con that the speakers wouldn't get that loud?
agk is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 05-25-2020, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 28,195
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked: 1595
The sr6011 is a good unit. It does HDR and Dolby Vision provided your TV supports it. The Audyssey XT32 on the sr6011 is better than the Onkyo room correction software.

The only caveat is that the sr6011 is a little older so it doesn't have eARC, if that matters. And if its a refurb most likely 1 year warranty.

It has a full set of preouts and can process 11 channels. The Onkyo doesn't have preouts except for sub and zone 2.

Afro GT
afrogt is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 05-25-2020, 01:16 PM
Senior Member
 
philpoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 395
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Do you have any AV receiver now, or any purchase will be new?

I was originally going to suggest an AVR and a stereo receiver with a/b speaker selection for the other zones, and attach streaming devices.
Sony AVR and stereo receivers were what I was looking at.

However, 7.2 AVRs with wireless ecosystems seem to be available for below half of your budget and available via Amzn Prime.
Denon AVR-S940H and/or Yamaha RX-V585 are examples.

2x AVR could power your Home theater with 1st, and 2 other zones with the 2nd. App control, Heos/MusicCast and/or Airplay 2 could allow zone control of streaming audio sources.
Yamaha could be V585 for HT, and V485 for other 2 zones, to lower the cost a little more.

If you ever find a more preferable replacement solution, the 2nd AVR is probably easy to sell off or repurpose.


Quote:
Originally Posted by agk View Post
Hi all,
Need some help with an AVR recommendation or some alternate setup to connect all the speakers in my home.
House has 11 speakers total. All terminate into one cabinet in the basement.
Living room has 2 in wall speakers.
Basement has 9 speakers: 7 on one side of the basement in a TV area (2 of which are ceiling speakers) and another 2 ceiling speakers on the other side of the room.

I'd like to set up a 5.1.2 in the basement on the TV area of the basement.
And somehow control the other living room and basement speakers either as one zone or two.

If you guys have any other suggestions I'm all ears.

Budget: CAD$ 1600

Last edited by philpoe; 05-25-2020 at 05:24 PM.
philpoe is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 05-25-2020, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
agk
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
The sr6011 is a good unit. It does HDR and Dolby Vision provided your TV supports it. The Audyssey XT32 on the sr6011 is better than the Onkyo room correction software.

The only caveat is that the sr6011 is a little older so it doesn't have eARC, if that matters. And if its a refurb most likely 1 year warranty.

It has a full set of preouts and can process 11 channels. The Onkyo doesn't have preouts except for sub and zone 2.
Thanks for the insight. Do you think eARC is important and would be a huge disadvantage not to have as a feature over the next 3-5 years?
agk is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 05-25-2020, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
agk
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by philpoe View Post
Do you have any AV receiver now, or any purchase will be new?

I was originally going to suggest an AVR and a stereo receiver with a/b speaker selection for the other zones, and attach streaming devices.
Sony AVR and stereo receivers were what I was looking at.

However, 7.2 AVRs with wireless ecosystems seem to be available for below half of your budget and available via Amzn Prime.
Denon AVR-S940H and/or Yamaha RX-V585 are examples.

2x AVR could power your Home theater with 1st, and 2 other zones with the 2nd. App control, Heos/MusicCast and/or Airplay 2 could allow zone control of streaming audio sources.
Yamaha could be V585 for HT, and V485 for other 2 zones, to lower the cost a little more.

If you ever find a more preferable replacement solution, the 2nd AVR is probably easy to sell off or repurpose.


Quote:
Originally Posted by agk View Post
Hi all,
Need some help with an AVR recommendation or some alternate setup to connect all the speakers in my home.
House has 11 speakers total. All terminate into one cabinet in the basement.
Living room has 2 in wall speakers.
Basement has 9 speakers: 7 on one side of the basement in a TV area (2 of which are ceiling speakers) and another 2 ceiling speakers on the other side of the room.

I'd like to set up a 5.1.2 in the basement on the TV area of the basement.
And somehow control the other living room and basement speakers either as one zone or two.

If you guys have any other suggestions I'm all ears.

Budget: CAD$ 1600
Thanks for your ideas!

Yes I would have to buy everything. No equipment on hand yet.

I think I get the 2 AVR idea but how would your first idea work.

AVR + stereo receiver with a/b speaker selection for the other zones, and attach streaming devices.

Denon Receiver + stereo receiver + an echo dot/Google home? What connections would I need to have in a stereo receiver?

Connecting one AVR to the other. Would it just be a simple line in connection from AVR1 to AVR2. And could I then control all the zones with an app?
agk is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old 05-25-2020, 05:36 PM
Senior Member
 
philpoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 395
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 64
It should work fine as long as you connect the speakers in series as opposed to parallel. The current draw from the amp would be less that way.
A stereo receiver with A/B functionality such as a Sony or Yamaha might be suitable and allow on/off for the different zones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agk View Post
Also could I split the 4 speakers and power them all by a single 2 channel amp? Would it mess up the speakers or the amp or is the only con that the speakers wouldn't get that loud?
philpoe is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old 05-25-2020, 05:46 PM
Senior Member
 
philpoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 395
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 64
In the US, streaming devices are pretty inexpensive. It may actually be cheaper to ship them and pay taxes than the prices I'm seeing on amazon.ca

Sony 7.2 AVR + Sony Stereo Receiver + 2x Phorus PR5 (attach to AVR and Stereo with RCA jacks). That makes a Play-Fi system instead of Heos or MusicCast.
You could replace the stereo receiver with an amp if the right one is available. In the US I'd look at the Dayton Audio APA102BT, or something like it without bluetooth.
Russound, Outdoor Speaker Depot and others have amps that use a similar design with 2 sets of speaker terminals. It also has auto on/off, so it would power on when music plays, then time out after stopping.
I just don't know where else to look in Canada.

Dayton/PartsExpress has an alternative ecosystem. Then you could have a Hi-Fly/LinkPlay system.
A Dayton Audio WBA31 is $42 USD. Treat the same way as a PR5. It also has ethernet (PR5 is wifi only), SPDIF out and can play from and SD card.
A Dayton Audio WB40A is the same thing, but with a 20W/ch amp built in for $98 USD if you don't need it loud (or use sensitive speakers).

It might be worth finding out how much international shipping + taxes are for these devices. The PR5 is a lot more on amazon.ca compared to the US.

Once set up as an ecosystem, you don't need to physically connect the 2 amps together, as long as you use the streaming services they provide.


Quote:
Originally Posted by agk View Post
I think I get the 2 AVR idea but how would your first idea work.
AVR + stereo receiver with a/b speaker selection for the other zones, and attach streaming devices.

Denon Receiver + stereo receiver + an echo dot/Google home? What connections would I need to have in a stereo receiver?

Connecting one AVR to the other. Would it just be a simple line in connection from AVR1 to AVR2. And could I then control all the zones with an app?

Last edited by philpoe; 05-25-2020 at 06:01 PM.
philpoe is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 05-25-2020, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 28,195
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked: 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by agk View Post
Thanks for the insight. Do you think eARC is important and would be a huge disadvantage not to have as a feature over the next 3-5 years?
For me it would not be important at all because I run all my devices thru my AVR. Some people such as gamers want to run their devices straight to the TV so eARC might benefit them.

Afro GT
afrogt is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old 05-27-2020, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
agk
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by philpoe View Post
In the US, streaming devices are pretty inexpensive. It may actually be cheaper to ship them and pay taxes than the prices I'm seeing on amazon.ca

Sony 7.2 AVR + Sony Stereo Receiver + 2x Phorus PR5 (attach to AVR and Stereo with RCA jacks). That makes a Play-Fi system instead of Heos or MusicCast.
You could replace the stereo receiver with an amp if the right one is available. In the US I'd look at the Dayton Audio APA102BT, or something like it without bluetooth.
Russound, Outdoor Speaker Depot and others have amps that use a similar design with 2 sets of speaker terminals. It also has auto on/off, so it would power on when music plays, then time out after stopping.
I just don't know where else to look in Canada.

Dayton/PartsExpress has an alternative ecosystem. Then you could have a Hi-Fly/LinkPlay system.
A Dayton Audio WBA31 is $42 USD. Treat the same way as a PR5. It also has ethernet (PR5 is wifi only), SPDIF out and can play from and SD card.
A Dayton Audio WB40A is the same thing, but with a 20W/ch amp built in for $98 USD if you don't need it loud (or use sensitive speakers).

It might be worth finding out how much international shipping + taxes are for these devices. The PR5 is a lot more on amazon.ca compared to the US.

Once set up as an ecosystem, you don't need to physically connect the 2 amps together, as long as you use the streaming services they provide.


Quote:
Originally Posted by agk View Post
I think I get the 2 AVR idea but how would your first idea work.
AVR + stereo receiver with a/b speaker selection for the other zones, and attach streaming devices.

Denon Receiver + stereo receiver + an echo dot/Google home? What connections would I need to have in a stereo receiver?

Connecting one AVR to the other. Would it just be a simple line in connection from AVR1 to AVR2. And could I then control all the zones with an app?
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by agk View Post
Thanks for the insight. Do you think eARC is important and would be a huge disadvantage not to have as a feature over the next 3-5 years?
For me it would not be important at all because I run all my devices thru my AVR. Some people such as gamers want to run their devices straight to the TV so eARC might benefit them.
Thank you both for your responses and information!

You've given me a lot to think about and eco systems to build out.

I'm trying to source some of these products in Canada right now otherwise I may have to order directly from the states.
agk is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old 05-27-2020, 02:30 PM
Senior Member
 
philpoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 395
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 64
FWIW, for the suggestions I was making, I think that the Yamaha RX-V585 + RX-V485 combo makes the most sense, with both being available at decent pricing on amazon.ca.
With the RX-V485's ability to do Zone 2, that means that you could use Yamaha apps and MusicCast to control all 3 zones in only 2 physical devices for a relatively low cost.
I'm less of a fan of MusicCast (and Heos) since they really hike up the prices on their proprietary standalone devices, much like Sonos.
However, they're also both Airplay 2 compatible, so most devices could see them in that mode, still offering grouping, etc.
If you think you want eARC, they both have it, though it looks like that's only applicable to the RX-V585 at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agk View Post
Thank you both for your responses and information!
You've given me a lot to think about and eco systems to build out.
I'm trying to source some of these products in Canada right now otherwise I may have to order directly from the states.
philpoe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off