Pioneer VSX-40 not properly decoding. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-24-2020, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Pioneer VSX-40 not properly decoding.

About a year ago I purchased a 5.1 theater in a box used from goodwill for like $20. It was an RCA RT2360B with the 5 speakers and sub. I have slowly been upgrading as I go along.

I found a Yamaha VSX-40 for sale and just picked it up. I had my TV (crappy best buy insignia) hooked up via optical audio cable to the RCA receiver and it played 5.1 just fine. I had my TV set to PASS THRU.

When I hook up the optical cable to the Yamaha receiver, the sound plays but its all cracked and scambled. If I change the audio setting on the TV from PASS THRU to PCM, the sound plays just fine, but then it is only 2 channel. I also don't want to hook up anything through the HDMI ports on this receiver. I only have 1 HDMI component on this TV and it is the Firestick and I like having it hooked up to the TV so I can control it with my television remote control. I did hook up the firestick to the receiver to test 5.1, but I couldn't get any sound when the video starts. When I am using the remote control to select different items on the screen, I can here a "clicking" sound that the firestick makes, but when the video starts, there is no sound. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

Is there a setting I am missing on the Yamaha receiver to make it correctly decode the Pass Thru signal from my TV? I just find it hard that this crappy RCA receiver does a better job then the more expensive Yamaha one.

Any info is appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-24-2020, 09:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 724
Sounds like you should do a full factory reset on the AVR-no telling how
It was set up before. Start over fresh.

By the way, is it a Pioneer or a Yamaha? Thread title says
Pioneer but you mention Yamaha in your post

(Main)-Marantz 6012*Outlaw Audio M2200*Rythmik F12 subs*Paradigm Signature S6,C1,S1
******Harman Kardon DMC1000 (music)-Assassin HTPC (movies).
(Bedroom)-Marantz SR5003*Paradigm Studio 40,SE Center,SE One*SVS SB-2000 subs*Sony S6200
(Music room)-Outlaw Audio RR2150*Sierra Two ribbon speakers*Rythmik L12 sub*Yamaha CDR-HD1500
post #3 of 6 Old 05-24-2020, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post
Sounds like you should do a full factory reset on the AVR-no telling how
It was set up before. Start over fresh.

By the way, is it a Pioneer or a Yamaha? Thread title says
Pioneer but you mention Yamaha in your post

sorry, brain fart....it is a Pioneer VSX-40, not Yamaha. And factory reset was the first thing I tried, no difference. I also hooked the receiver up to my more expensive samsung tv in my living room and it had the exact same scrambled sound. I've also used multiple optical audio cables. I have read the manual and seem to be doing everything correct. For what it's worth, the guy I bought this from had it setup in his garage with two speakers. Probably never used the surround sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-24-2020, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 724
On Most AVR's with several hdmi inputs The optical audio out jacks are commonly
Not 'assigned' to any inputs. You need to reassign an input to get sound from your
Optical output instead of the hdmi (which is how it is configured)

(Main)-Marantz 6012*Outlaw Audio M2200*Rythmik F12 subs*Paradigm Signature S6,C1,S1
******Harman Kardon DMC1000 (music)-Assassin HTPC (movies).
(Bedroom)-Marantz SR5003*Paradigm Studio 40,SE Center,SE One*SVS SB-2000 subs*Sony S6200
(Music room)-Outlaw Audio RR2150*Sierra Two ribbon speakers*Rythmik L12 sub*Yamaha CDR-HD1500
post #5 of 6 Old 05-25-2020, 02:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post
On Most AVR's with several hdmi inputs The optical audio out jacks are commonly
Not 'assigned' to any inputs. You need to reassign an input to get sound from your
Optical output instead of the hdmi (which is how it is configured)
I did that step too. I have the optical wire going into the input labeled "TV/SAT", then I had to select "O1" for optical #1 . I can hear the audio, its just all popping and cracking. If I switch TV from Pass Thru to PCM, sound works fine but 2.1
post #6 of 6 Old 05-25-2020, 04:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by VSX-4O Need Help View Post
I only have 1 HDMI component on this TV and it is the Firestick and I like having it hooked up to the TV so I can control it with my television remote control. I did hook up the firestick to the receiver to test 5.1, but I couldn't get any sound when the video starts. When I am using the remote control to select different items on the screen, I can here a "clicking" sound that the firestick makes, but when the video starts, there is no sound. Not sure what I am doing wrong.
Hi VSX-4O Need Help, if Firestick audio is set to "Best Available" try setting it to "Always Dolby Digital".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page