Budget 7.1.4 receiver lineup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 05-26-2020, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dauber65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: East Peoria
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Budget 7.1.4 receiver lineup

Guys, I've been making a short list of receivers that can do 7.1.4 processing with the use of a 2 channel external amp.
It is a confusing area to search for since most are "9 channel" receivers. You have to hunt around to tell if they process 11 channels or not.
Did I make any mistakes on this list? Can you help me add anymore to this list?
I do not want to put any receivers on my list that will cost over 1K used. I am trying to spend as little as possible to get a nice 7.1.4
My initial though is to wait awhile and see if I can find a X3600H, but wanted to see what else might be out there.

Receiver Processing Amplified [email protected] Ohms
Denon AVR-X3600H 11 9 105
Denon AVR-X4500H 11 9 125
Onkyo TX-RZ730 11 9 100
Onkyo TX-RZ740 11 9 100
Pioneer SC-LX701 11 9 135
Denon AVR-X6500H 11 11 140
Marantz SR6014 11 9 110
dauber65 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 05-26-2020, 09:25 AM
Senior Member
 
electronics craz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauber65 View Post
Guys, I've been making a short list of receivers that can do 7.1.4 processing with the use of a 2 channel external amp.
It is a confusing area to search for since most are "9 channel" receivers. You have to hunt around to tell if they process 11 channels or not.
Did I make any mistakes on this list? Can you help me add anymore to this list?
I do not want to put any receivers on my list that will cost over 1K used. I am trying to spend as little as possible to get a nice 7.1.4
My initial though is to wait awhile and see if I can find a X3600H, but wanted to see what else might be out there.

Receiver Processing Amplified [email protected] Ohms
Denon AVR-X3600H 11 9 105
Denon AVR-X4500H 11 9 125
Onkyo TX-RZ730 11 9 100
Onkyo TX-RZ740 11 9 100
Pioneer SC-LX701 11 9 135
Denon AVR-X6500H 11 11 140
Marantz SR6014 11 9 110
i have pioneer 503 with amp its awesome
electronics craz is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 05-26-2020, 09:45 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauber65 View Post
Guys, I've been making a short list of receivers that can do 7.1.4 processing with the use of a 2 channel external amp.
It is a confusing area to search for since most are "9 channel" receivers. You have to hunt around to tell if they process 11 channels or not.
Did I make any mistakes on this list? Can you help me add anymore to this list?
I do not want to put any receivers on my list that will cost over 1K used. I am trying to spend as little as possible to get a nice 7.1.4
My initial though is to wait awhile and see if I can find a X3600H, but wanted to see what else might be out there.

Receiver Processing Amplified [email protected] Ohms
Denon AVR-X3600H 11 9 105
Denon AVR-X4500H 11 9 125
Onkyo TX-RZ730 11 9 100
Onkyo TX-RZ740 11 9 100
Pioneer SC-LX701 11 9 135
Denon AVR-X6500H 11 11 140
Marantz SR6014 11 9 110
Onkyo RZ-830 / 840
bballjames is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 Old 05-26-2020, 10:45 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: India
Posts: 259
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauber65 View Post
Guys, I've been making a short list of receivers that can do 7.1.4 processing with the use of a 2 channel external amp.

It is a confusing area to search for since most are "9 channel" receivers. You have to hunt around to tell if they process 11 channels or not.

Did I make any mistakes on this list? Can you help me add anymore to this list?

I do not want to put any receivers on my list that will cost over 1K used. I am trying to spend as little as possible to get a nice 7.1.4

My initial though is to wait awhile and see if I can find a X3600H, but wanted to see what else might be out there.



Receiver [email protected] Ohms

Denon AVR-X3600H11 9 105

Denon AVR-X4500H11 9 125

Onkyo TX-RZ73011 9 100

Onkyo TX-RZ74011 9 100

Pioneer SC-LX70111 9 135

Denon AVR-X6500H11 11 140

Marantz SR601411 9 110
I'd like to suggest Yamaha A3080. 150wpc
However, if I may add some words of wisdom, I'd not go purely on WPC since most (I think your entire list) depicts these numbers are "2 channel driven" as in only when 2 out of the 9/11 inbuilt amps are used. When you divide it into 11 amplifiers, it is a lot lesser.

Sent from my HD1911 using Tapatalk

MOVIE TIME STAMPS FOR REFERENCE QUALITY MOVIES
HOME THEATER Epson 8300/5040UB|Black Diamond 133” 2.35:1|KefT301 x3|KefT101 x4| 2 x Atmos|Rythmik FVX12x2|Nvidia Shield Pro 2019|FreeNAS|Yamaha A3070
LIVING ROOM Harman Kardon SB26 Sony 49” 4K Android
BEDROOM Sony EX700 40”|Nvidia Shield 2019

Last edited by BhootZ; 05-26-2020 at 10:49 AM.
BhootZ is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 05-26-2020, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dauber65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: East Peoria
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by electronics craz View Post
i have pioneer 503 with amp its awesome
Added to my list. This is a good choice as I've seen several sell for a very reasonable prince on e-bay used.
dauber65 is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 05-26-2020, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dauber65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: East Peoria
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BhootZ View Post
I'd like to suggest Yamaha A3080. 150wpc
However, if I may add some words of wisdom, I'd not go purely on WPC since most (I think your entire list) depicts these numbers are "2 channel driven" as in only when 2 out of the 9/11 inbuilt amps are used. When you divide it into 11 amplifiers, it is a lot lesser.

Sent from my HD1911 using Tapatalk
Good point, but honestly the wattage has very little impact to my choice. I'm basically looking for the processing power. I hardly ever listen with that much power.
I currently have an Onkyo TX-SR606 that is rated at 90 watts and its more than enough power for me.
However, it is interestingly rated at 90 watts on all 7 channels, unlike the 2 channels I see most listed these days. So maybe they are similar?
90 watts x 7 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD
dauber65 is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 05-26-2020, 01:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: India
Posts: 259
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauber65 View Post
Good point, but honestly the wattage has very little impact to my choice. I'm basically looking for the processing power. I hardly ever listen with that much power.

I currently have an Onkyo TX-SR606 that is rated at 90 watts and its more than enough power for me.

However, it is interestingly rated at 90 watts on all 7 channels, unlike the 2 channels I see most listed these days. So maybe they are similar?

90 watts x 7 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD
Yeah. A lot of corners being cut in equipments and with a few play of words, it becomes 'legal to sell'. I've been on Yamaha A3070 for the last 2 years. I have found it to be super awesome except the ypao being really bad with bass I can't complain about the amp. Knowing this I picked it over the denon 4400h and marantz 6012 (I think) back in the day.

Sent from my HD1911 using Tapatalk

MOVIE TIME STAMPS FOR REFERENCE QUALITY MOVIES
HOME THEATER Epson 8300/5040UB|Black Diamond 133” 2.35:1|KefT301 x3|KefT101 x4| 2 x Atmos|Rythmik FVX12x2|Nvidia Shield Pro 2019|FreeNAS|Yamaha A3070
LIVING ROOM Harman Kardon SB26 Sony 49” 4K Android
BEDROOM Sony EX700 40”|Nvidia Shield 2019
BhootZ is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 05-26-2020, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mashie Saldana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 2,613
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked: 1359
You can add Marantz SR7010, SR6011, SR6012 and SR6013 to that list.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
Mashie Saldana is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 05-26-2020, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hdtv00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: ill
Posts: 2,142
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauber65 View Post
Good point, but honestly the wattage has very little impact to my choice. I'm basically looking for the processing power. I hardly ever listen with that much power.
I currently have an Onkyo TX-SR606 that is rated at 90 watts and its more than enough power for me.
However, it is interestingly rated at 90 watts on all 7 channels, unlike the 2 channels I see most listed these days. So maybe they are similar?
90 watts x 7 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD

NO WAY those specs are accurate. NO way.


... but in our Tech Labs, we measured the receiver's real world output at 122W in two-channel mode, dropping to just 38W with five channels driven (at 8 Ohms).


This is what they claim it is, above is actual bench testing. It's why I left receiver world and will NEvER return. It's turned into lie after lie to cut corners and still make money. See they list 7 channels but its 6 ohm load so boost watts. Then rates each other channel ALONE but in 8 ohm to make those numbers look better than reality of the above actual numbers.

  • Amplifier Output Details
    110 Watt - 6 Ohm - at 1 kHz - THD 0.1% - 7 channels (surround)
    90 Watt - 8 Ohm - 20 - 20000 Hz - THD 0.08% - 2 channels (front)
    90 Watt - 8 Ohm - 20 - 20000 Hz - THD 0.08% - 1 channels (center)
    90 Watt - 8 Ohm - 20 - 20000 Hz - THD 0.08% - 2 channels (surround)
    90 Watt - 8 Ohm - 20 - 20000 Hz - THD 0.08% - 2 channels (surround back)

Marantz 7702MKII/Outlaw 7140 65" 4k LG C9
i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/970's SLI 840 PRO SSD
Paradigm Studio v3 100/570/20's/470's/2200 Sub
hdtv00 is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 05-26-2020, 08:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bobknavs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Danbury, CT, USA
Posts: 5,808
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2899 Post(s)
Liked: 2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv00 View Post
NO WAY those specs are accurate. NO way.


... but in our Tech Labs, we measured the receiver's real world output at 122W in two-channel mode, dropping to just 38W with five channels driven (at 8 Ohms).


This is what they claim it is, above is actual bench testing. It's why I left receiver world and will NEvER return. It's turned into lie after lie to cut corners and still make money. See they list 7 channels but its 6 ohm load so boost watts. Then rates each other channel ALONE but in 8 ohm to make those numbers look better than reality of the above actual numbers.

  • Amplifier Output Details
    110 Watt - 6 Ohm - at 1 kHz - THD 0.1% - 7 channels (surround)
    90 Watt - 8 Ohm - 20 - 20000 Hz - THD 0.08% - 2 channels (front)
    90 Watt - 8 Ohm - 20 - 20000 Hz - THD 0.08% - 1 channels (center)
    90 Watt - 8 Ohm - 20 - 20000 Hz - THD 0.08% - 2 channels (surround)
    90 Watt - 8 Ohm - 20 - 20000 Hz - THD 0.08% - 2 channels (surround back)
Are you referring to the TX-SR606 (from 2008), or a more current model?

A review, with measurements: https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...-labs-measures

Sound and Vision claims 73.2W/channel for 7 channels into 8 ohms with 0.1% distortion. 87.4W at 1% distortion. I can't claim any knowledge of the validity of their tests, but they are one of the few sources I know of that do multichannel testing. The main argument against their claims is that the AVR is a 25 lb unit; no massive power supply.
bobknavs is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 05-27-2020, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dauber65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: East Peoria
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
Are you referring to the TX-SR606 (from 2008), or a more current model?

A review, with measurements: https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...-labs-measures

Sound and Vision claims 73.2W/channel for 7 channels into 8 ohms with 0.1% distortion. 87.4W at 1% distortion. I can't claim any knowledge of the validity of their tests, but they are one of the few sources I know of that do multichannel testing. The main argument against their claims is that the AVR is a 25 lb unit; no massive power supply.
It likely is that year.
dauber65 is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 06-03-2020, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dauber65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: East Peoria
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 36
So I have updated my list. It is now rather large.
Now I just need to find one an external amp for a reasonable price. I finished my wiring for 7.1.4 today and have all the speakers ready.

Denon AVR-X3600H
Denon AVR-X4500H
Denon AVR-X6500H
Onkyo TX-RZ730
Onkyo TX-RZ740
Onkyo RZ-830
Onky0 RZ-840
Pioneer SC-LX701
Pioneer VSX-LX503
Pioneer VSX-LX504
Marantz SR7010
Marantz SR6012
Marantz SR6014
Sony STRZA5000ES
Yamaha RX-A2020
Yamaha RX-A2030
Yamaha A3080
dauber65 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off