[Question] Do I need a new receiver with more channels? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By philpoe

post #1 of 6 Old 05-27-2020, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 2
[Question] Do I need a new receiver with more channels?

Hello all. I currently have a Pioneer Elite VSX-LX103 and believe that I don't have enough channels (or power) to support the in-wall nor in-ceiling speakers for my future setup. I very much welcome your thoughts and comments on how to accommodate my future setup in a new house (not yet built). I am a newbie to this forum and to Home Audio but was told this is the place to post these questions. Thank you in advance for taking the time to respond.

Questions for new house preparation
1. Would my receiver support my in-wall or my in-ceiling speakers?
2. Do I need to upgrade to a 9.2ch receiver? If so, do I need one with 3 zones for 3-4 separate rooms?
3. I want to add ceiling speakers to my kitchen and a bedroom. How would I play music in the kitchen in-ceiling speakers?
4. How do I play music in the bedroom in-ceiling speakers?
5. It looks like the receiver could support dual-subs. Do I need to add an amp or would I be fine without one?

Current setup:
  • AVR: Pioneer Elite VSX-LX103
  • Center: Klipsch RC-52 II; however potentially replacing with an Infinity RC263
  • Subwoofer: Definitive Technology ProSub 1000
  • Towers: Klipsch Synergy Black Label F-300

Future setup: New home
  • Room size: 17’ x 15’ x 11'
  • AVR: Pioneer Elite VSX-LX103
  • Center: Klipsch RC-52 II; however potentially replacing with an Infinity RC263
  • Subwoofer: Definitive Technology ProSub 1000 [likely to replace with a Black Friday SVS sale]
  • Towers: Klipsch Synergy Black Label F-300
  • In-ceiling: 6xJBL 100-watt 2-way loudspeaker | 2 in the living room (with the rest of the sound system), 2 in the kitchen, and 2 in a bedroom
  • In-wall: 4xJBL100-watt 2-way loudspeaker | all 4 in the living room (with the rest of the sound system)

A total of 9 speakers connected to the AVR.
2xTowers
1xCenter
2xIn-Ceiling
4xIn-Wall

Last edited by Tech Neeq; 05-27-2020 at 02:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-29-2020, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 38
So you have 3 spaces you want to power.

And you want:
7.2.2 theater ?
2 channel room
2 channel room

9+ 2 + 2 is 13 total channels and 3 zones. This is past what an entry Atmos recover can do

I would look at something like 2x Sonos amps for your 2 channel rooms so you don't have to run long cables and dealing with your theater Avr when you want to change volume in your bathroom.

If you want Atmos the you need an Atmos Avr. I recommend 5.2.4 over 7.2.2 with 9 speakers.

Avrs have RCA outputs for subwoofer. Most commerical subs are active meaning the come with and amp and you just hook up the RCA into them.

Have fun!
post #3 of 6 Old 05-29-2020, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Adding on to what kemannthey said, you'd need a 9 channel AVR for your home theater setup. (I agree that you should consider 5.2.4 over 7.2.2)
Sonos is one way to play in your other zones, but it's kind of expensive. OTOH, you already have the VSX-LX103 which you could use.
You have to decide where the wires for the kitchen and bedroom will go - Local to their zone, or to a central location.
For a 9 Channel AVR, you could consider the Onkyo TX-NR797 or Pioneer VSX-LX304
For the other 2 zones, you could actually use the VSX-LX103 and its Zone 2 capability, as long as the wires for the other zones can be routed to it in a central location.
Since all of the AVRs mentioned are part of the Play-Fi system, the can all work together with the Play-Fi app for Sonos-like functionality. If you get the Pioneer 9ch AVR, you could use the Pioneer remote app for both AVRs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Neeq View Post
Hello all. I currently have a Pioneer Elite VSX-LX103 and believe that I don't have enough channels (or power) to support the in-wall nor in-ceiling speakers for my future setup.

Questions for new house preparation
1. Would my receiver support my in-wall or my in-ceiling speakers?
2. Do I need to upgrade to a 9.2ch receiver? If so, do I need one with 3 zones for 3-4 separate rooms?
3. I want to add ceiling speakers to my kitchen and a bedroom. How would I play music in the kitchen in-ceiling speakers?
4. How do I play music in the bedroom in-ceiling speakers?
5. It looks like the receiver could support dual-subs. Do I need to add an amp or would I be fine without one?

Future setup: New home
  • In-ceiling: 2 in the kitchen, and 2 in a bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemannthey View Post
So you have 3 spaces you want to power.
And you want:
7.2.2 theater ?
2 channel room
2 channel room
9+ 2 + 2 is 13 total channels and 3 zones. This is past what an entry Atmos recover can do
I would look at something like 2x Sonos amps for your 2 channel rooms so you don't have to run long cables and dealing with your theater Avr when you want to change volume in your bathroom.

If you want Atmos the you need an Atmos Avr. I recommend 5.2.4 over 7.2.2 with 9 speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-30-2020, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by philpoe View Post
Adding on to what kemannthey said, you'd need a 9 channel AVR for your home theater setup. (I agree that you should consider 5.2.4 over 7.2.2)
Sonos is one way to play in your other zones, but it's kind of expensive. OTOH, you already have the VSX-LX103 which you could use.
You have to decide where the wires for the kitchen and bedroom will go - Local to their zone, or to a central location.
For a 9 Channel AVR, you could consider the Onkyo TX-NR797 or Pioneer VSX-LX304
For the other 2 zones, you could actually use the VSX-LX103 and its Zone 2 capability, as long as the wires for the other zones can be routed to it in a central location.
Since all of the AVRs mentioned are part of the Play-Fi system, the can all work together with the Play-Fi app for Sonos-like functionality. If you get the Pioneer 9ch AVR, you could use the Pioneer remote app for both AVRs.
Thank you, gentlemen!! Both comments were very helpful. So, instead of 9 speakers connected in the main HT room, reduce it to 7?

2xTowers
1xCenter
2xIn-Ceiling
2xIn-Wall (instead of 4)

Bottom line: Don't use the receiver to play music in the other 2 rooms (a total of 3 zones) - or - use it for only 2 zones and an 2-ch amps for the other areas. Another option is to purchase another AVR. I'll ponder on these ideas and also wait to see if others have a different opinion.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-30-2020, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 100
You don't necessarily have to reduce to 7. Let's consider what you're trying to do with the new house layout, remembering that none of it is built yet:

An Atmos-capable Home Theater setup in the Living room
A Stereo music setup in the kitchen
A Stereo music setup in the bedroom

If you consider them as separate zones, we're just pointing out that you don't have to tie all of that functionality to a single AVR. In fact, it can be more expensive to do so, and we gave some options.

Considering the Home Theater zone by itself, you described 3 front speakers, 4 surrounds in walls, and 2 speakers in the ceiling, for a 7.2.2 system, needing a 9 channel AVR.
Using 9 channels, you might consider putting 2 less surround channels and 2 more ceiling channels. The overhead effect would benefit much more going from 2 to 4 than the base surround effect would be lessened by going from 7 to 5.
A 9 channel AVR could do either, and candidate AVRs include the Onkyo TX-NR797 and Pioneer VSX-LX504.
You could go down to 7 channels and a 5.2.2 system to save a some money, or you could go all-out with an 11 channel system, with the same 7 speakers you originally described, but with 4 ceiling speakers for an 7.2.4 system, but that's a bit more expensive.

On to the Stereo music Zones. You could treat them being controlled separately with 2 devices, or from the same device.

Sonos would have you use an Amp device to power 2 speakers in each stereo zone, at $650 each, one for each setup, before considering speakers.
Denon Heos and Yamaha MusicCast have similar devices for slightly lower, but similar prices at $500 and up. Play-Fi has a much wider variety of manufacturers and devices, but still relatively expensive. There may be some at $400 and up.
If you used Heos, your AVR would have to be Denon to tie them together. For MusicCast it would have to be Yamaha. For Play-Fi some Onkyo and some Pioneer models (including your VSX-LX103) are compatible.
Convieniently, all of the AVRs are also Airplay 2 compatible.

With the VSX-LX103 you already have, you can power both the kitchen and bedroom speakers using Zone 2 functionality if the wires come to a common location.
If the internal Play-Fi functionality can only serve one zone, you could add a Phorus PR5 Play-Fi streamer for $30, then use it for Zone 2.
If for some reason you don't want to use the LX103 in this role, you could use either a multi-channel amp in a central location, or a stereo amp for each zone, combined with PR5s for <= $150 for each zone.
Then with a Play-Fi app and the appropriate remote control apps, you could control everything from your phone as long as everything is using the house network via wifi or ethernet.

If you use a Play-Fi AVR such as the Onkyo or Pioneer mentioned before in your home theater combined with these suggestions, all devices would be Play-Fi, and you'd have Sonos-like functionality that costs quite a bit less.
Even if you used another brand AVR in your home theater, The LX103 and pretty much any other AVR you'd pick would be Airplay 2 compatible. They'd show up "natively" to Apple devices and phones and Android phones with an Airplay 2 app.
In the case of mixed brands, you'd need a different remote control app, and the streaming services might differ slightly, but you could still control it all from your phone.

So, figure out your Atmos setup, and if you want the other zones controlled centrally or locally, and a Play-Fi compatible setup may be practical and economical, but if not, you could back into an Airplay 2 compatible setup for less money than a single AVR that tries to do it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Neeq View Post
Thank you, gentlemen!! Both comments were very helpful. So, instead of 9 speakers connected in the main HT room, reduce it to 7?
2xTowers
1xCenter
2xIn-Ceiling
2xIn-Wall (instead of 4)

Bottom line: Don't use the receiver to play music in the other 2 rooms (a total of 3 zones) - or - use it for only 2 zones and an 2-ch amps for the other areas. Another option is to purchase another AVR. I'll ponder on these ideas and also wait to see if others have a different opinion.
Tech Neeq likes this.

Last edited by philpoe; 05-30-2020 at 03:12 PM.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-08-2020, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked: 2651
since i know you are in Jax now...you need to come check out some of us DIY'ers set ups...it will blow you away...

Chad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	44.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	2739294  

Receiver : Pioneer Elite SC-95
Front Speakers: 3 DIYSG 1099's
Surround Speakers:2 DIYSG Volt 10's Atmos: 4 DIYSG Volt 6's
Subwoofers: Dual Eminence NSW 21's in Cyclops enclosures w/Inuke 6000
Nearfield: 4 B-52 SP-1804 18s w/Inuke 6000DSP

Last edited by chadsmith013; 06-08-2020 at 06:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page