What's in a 8-9-10 year old top-end receiver? Worth buying today? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dargent0628

post #1 of 10 Old 05-28-2020, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 66
What's in a 8-9-10 year old top-end receiver? Worth buying today?

Looking at the used market where I am, there are some 8-9-10 year old receivers that go for low prices. Eg Pioneer's Elite SC LX series with the Class D ICEpower amps, Denon 4311, Yamaha's high end, etc

These products have:
- HDMI
- top level of room correction systems
- Going by some the test measurements in reviews from that seems like they have better quality amplification (power, signal-noise ratio, channel separation etc) than current low end receivers.

Seem like a good deal...

But are these still worth buying - if my need is for 2.0 or 2.1 usage ie two floorstanding speakers and a subwoofer, for music and the occasional blu ray/DVD?

At this point in time can we expect that they still meet the specifications of when they were new e.g have the capacitors dried up or other components degraded etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-28-2020, 02:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Would they still meet the bench specs and measurements of when brand new? Probably not. Would that affect their real world performance? Short of a part actually failing, very likely not. In many cases they represent tremendous value, particularly in your case usage. You might find a piece of gear that was class leading then for pennies on the dollar now.

You could always apply a portion of those savings towards having it tested by a skilled technician if you had concerns, but personally I'd only do that if I detected an obvious malfunction of some sort.
Finding great used gear at bargain prices is the hobby and passion of countless audio enthusiasts. Jump in!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Osamede likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-29-2020, 04:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Getting used has allowed me to get high-end gear cheap. My Yamaha RX-Z9 had a list price of $4400 in 2004. I bought mine in 2012 when it was eight years old for $800. I’m still using it. When I eventually upgrade to another used piece to get HDMI (hopefully sometime this year) I’ll keep using the Z9 as an amplifier.

For another example the CX-A5000, which listed at $3000 in 2014, is selling on ebay in the $500-700 range.

The only thing that might possibly be a concern, the auto calibration of older gear might not be a good as what’s currently available.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Equipment List
"A nice mid-fi system," according to an audiophile acquaintance.

Reviews and Tech Articles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-29-2020, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne A. Pflughaupt View Post
Getting used has allowed me to get high-end gear cheap. My Yamaha RX-Z9 had a list price of $4400 in 2004. I bought mine in 2012 when it was eight years old for $800. I’m still using it. When I eventually upgrade to another used piece to get HDMI (hopefully sometime this year) I’ll keep using the Z9 as an amplifier.

For another example the CX-A5000, which listed at $3000 in 2014, is selling on ebay in the $500-700 range.

The only thing that might possibly be a concern, the auto calibration of older gear might not be a good as what’s currently available.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
I'm mostly focused on the Pioneer receivers. From what I can see there isn't any change in the top level MCACC pro room correction, which no new version has superceded it. Unless I'm not understanding the descriptions.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-29-2020, 04:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 446
You might look up a review from the model you're considering and see what was said about the autocal.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Equipment List
"A nice mid-fi system," according to an audiophile acquaintance.

Reviews and Tech Articles
post #6 of 10 Old 05-29-2020, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 675
They won't have pass through for 4k video. And ideally you want to try them out before buying in case they are not in good working order (a risk with used equipment).

Sony A9G, Oppo 205, Parasound JC2, Parasound A21, Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs
post #7 of 10 Old 05-29-2020, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
They won't have pass through for 4k video. And ideally you want to try them out before buying in case they are not in good working order (a risk with used equipment).
4K is great talking point for the electronics salesmen, but not of much relevance for me to play music and watch blu rays and DVDs on a 1080p projector....

Risk not a problem where I live, its a thriving used market, low prices and fairly honest people in my country. So that's why I'm focusing on used...
post #8 of 10 Old 05-29-2020, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osamede View Post
4K is great talking point for the electronics salesmen, but not of much relevance for me to play music and watch blu rays and DVDs on a 1080p projector....

Risk not a problem where I live, its a thriving used market, low prices and fairly honest people in my country. So that's why I'm focusing on used...
True about 4k for you now, but I mentioned it since you might upgrade to a 4k display at some time.
Risk is always a potential issue, although somewhat mitigated if you're buying used locally.

Sony A9G, Oppo 205, Parasound JC2, Parasound A21, Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs
post #9 of 10 Old 05-29-2020, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
True about 4k for you now, but I mentioned it since you might upgrade to a 4k display at some time.
Risk is always a potential issue, although somewhat mitigated if you're buying used locally.
Got no pressing need to change display. Very pleased with my 1080P Panasonic Plasma and JVC X30 projector. If that changes in future will buy a used receiver then. So dealing with present needs, low cost and value equation.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-29-2020, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2497 Post(s)
Liked: 1632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osamede View Post

If you don't need 4K I don't see a problem with buying an older top of the line unit. I bought a 2008 Denon 3808CI a couple years ago and it works great. Heavy, powerful and all I need is 1080p to connect it to my 2008 Panny Plasma. It only has 4 HDMI inputs but I'm currently using 3. Oppo DVD/SACD, Pioneer Blu Ray and Roku. Don't see me ever using the 4th HDMI input.

I buy older equipment often. Got a Anthem MRX 710 dirt cheap a few months back from an electronics recycle place. That's also connected to a non 4K TV so no disadvantages for me.

Afro GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page