Onkyo upgrade - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-29-2020, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Onkyo upgrade

Current set up is Onkyo DTR 30.1 7.1 surround system with receiver set up in different room. Zone 2 is Apple airport express> analog cable> analog input (tape) that i control through Iphone to zone 2 speakers (6 speaker set control switch to various locations throughout house)

I want to upgrade to smart Tv and youtube tv and need HDMI Arc, plus want added tech increases of a new receiver (4k, etc) My current receiver is 10 yrs old. So questions:

- Which onkyo receiver do you suggest? Was looking at TX-NR585 or TX-NR696
- Any issues keeping current set up with a new receiver (mainly the zone 2 audio via airplay/airport express to speaker switch- Can i assign any analog input as source for zone 2 (cd, strm box, game, etc) and plug airport express into that?
- HDMI arc would then allow me to play audio from smart tv (through various streaming services) back to the surround system correct? HDMI cables behind the walls were installed 10 yrs ago, would there be any issues with them being outdated for this new tech set up?
Thanks so much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-29-2020, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Older HDMI cables may not be able to carry 4K signals (particularly over long distances). Are the HDMI cables in conduit (where you can replace them easily)? If not you can check them and see if they can do 4K consistently. If they can't you'll see major artifacts on the screen or it will drop out entirely.

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic UB420, Apple TV 4K, JBL Studio 530’s, Dual Driver VBSS

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne, Roku Express (2019)
post #3 of 7 Old 05-29-2020, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
Older HDMI cables may not be able to carry 4K signals (particularly over long distances). Are the HDMI cables in conduit (where you can replace them easily)? If not you can check them and see if they can do 4K consistently. If they can't you'll see major artifacts on the screen or it will drop out entirely.
Thanks. They are not in conduit. If I was streaming video through 4k smart Tv (netflix/Youtube Tv, etc) but sending audio back to receiver/surround via HDMI ARC would the cables matter as much then? When you say check the cables to see if they can do 4k, check how?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-29-2020, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

I checked and my cable in the wall looks like HDMI 1.3.
Will that be enough to support at least ARC from tv back to receiver? Looks like it’s not adequate for 4K video, correct? Not much I can do about it, it’s a decent run behind walls. Any advice?
post #5 of 7 Old 05-29-2020, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 413
I don't know for sure, but my guess is know. If a run is over 25ft no copper HDMI cable works well for 4K and you need to go to a fiber optic cable.

You could always try it and see if you have a 4K source and a 4K projector or display to check it on.

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic UB420, Apple TV 4K, JBL Studio 530’s, Dual Driver VBSS

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne, Roku Express (2019)
post #6 of 7 Old 05-29-2020, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked: 1636
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabapplemcn View Post
Thanks. They are not in conduit. If I was streaming video through 4k smart Tv (netflix/Youtube Tv, etc) but sending audio back to receiver/surround via HDMI ARC would the cables matter as much then? When you say check the cables to see if they can do 4k, check how?
If you're just streaming audio from TV smart apps to AVR then you probably don't need a 4K certified premium cable. Try it with what you have then upgrade if the cable doesn't work.

YouTube TV currently tops out at 720p video and 2 channel stereo for audio. No Dolby Digital, DTS or anything like that.

Afro GT
post #7 of 7 Old 05-29-2020, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I have 2 unused cat5e's on the run and have been told I can use both with an hdmi extender adapter over cat5? Is that feasible and if so, a better option than hdmi 1.3 cable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page