Looking for a USB C DAC with L R outputs (I think) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 05-29-2020, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Looking for a USB C DAC with L R outputs (I think)

I hope this is the right place for this. If not, feel free to move.

I happen to have a set of Linn Tukan speakers and would like to use them for my PC. I have 3 but a stereo setup would be fine. They are designed to be bi-wired, and I just asked for advice about that but was told it is not worth the trouble. So I will just wire the connections together. The connections on the speakers seem to be designed for banana plugs. Bigger than RCA.

I would like to get a DAC for it. I know that there are USB DACs, but USB A has limited bandwidth. I also have USB C and Thunderbolt connections as well as a 3.5 mm jack. My thought is that more bandwidth is always better, but if the audio already fits comfortably into USB A, then it would be a pointless exercise. I have found plenty of USB and USB C DACs, many of which are little more than a cable.

I am new to DACs. It seems to me that a DAC with separate left and right outputs would be preferable to a single 3.5 mm jack. I have no idea how it splits the channels in a cable. My sense is that the higher end DACs do have separate left and right outputs.

I also am not at all sure if the cable from a 3.5 mm jack could be used as a speaker cable.

This all is a matter of idle curiosity for me. I am not trying to achieve something great. At the moment, I found a HIDIZS Portable Headphone Amplifier USB Type C on Amazon for $40. It has a 3.5 mm out, and I can get a 3.5 mm to 2-female RCA cable. I then would get RCA to banana plug cables to attach to the speakers. This all seems like a lot of work and parts for something that should be simple.

Or I could drop the DAC and just get a 3.5 mm to 2 female RCA cable then run separate RCW cables to the speaker and use the RCA to Banana plug. I could even get a USB C to RCA cable.

As you can see, I am lost. Any suggestions for an economical solution? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
usb c dac

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page