Liked: 1
Denon upgrade?

Hi

I currently have a Denon AVR X2000 with
2x KEF Q300
2x KEF Q100
2x KEF T300
1x KEF Q200c

I have the opportunity to "swap" the receiver with an S950H or X1600H - though these two are supposed to be of a lower lineup, they are both much more modern models. Do you think this upgrade makes sense?
Hetfieldjames likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-30-2020, 02:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 96
How much does the upgrade cost?
Do you have a 4K TV/projector with 4K content available?
Do you want streaming capabilities for applications like Spotify or Pandora or Tidal?
Do you want the ability to be part of a wireless audio ecosystem like Heos, MusicCast, Play-Fi or Airplay 2?

Answering yes to any of those questions might be a reason to upgrade.

If you decide to, the S950H offers dual outputs, while the X1600H has better room correction and stereo preouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Cohen View Post
Hi

I currently have a Denon AVR X2000
I have the opportunity to "swap" the receiver with an S950H or X1600H - though these two are supposed to be of a lower lineup, they are both much more modern models. Do you think this upgrade makes sense?
post #3 of 6 Old 05-30-2020, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by philpoe View Post
How much does the upgrade cost?
Do you have a 4K TV/projector with 4K content available?
Do you want streaming capabilities for applications like Spotify or Pandora or Tidal?
Do you want the ability to be part of a wireless audio ecosystem like Heos, MusicCast, Play-Fi or Airplay 2?

Answering yes to any of those questions might be a reason to upgrade.

If you decide to, the S950H offers dual outputs, while the X1600H has better room correction and stereo preouts.
Will cost me around Eur100 to "upgrade".

I do have a 4K TV and some 4K content. I do use Spotify but it works fine on the X2000 so not the reason to upgrade.

Main reasons I'm considering upgrade:
1. S950H has dual HDMI out. This will be useful for me.
2. I will get a new warranty period - the X2000 is 6 years old.
3. I have Atmos content - no height speakers for now (not sure if I will have later to be honest) but Atmos content seems to work better even on normal speakers (I have another setup in another room that I recently upgraded to Atmos).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-30-2020, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Is an X2600H an upgrade option? If so, for how much? With that you'd get the benefits of both of the other models, and it's more of a direct descendant of the X2000.
The warranty and 4K HDR playback are compelling. The usefulness of dual outputs may dictate your choice otherwise.
If you have a need for Zone 2 playback, the X-series is a little more compelling as you can mirror digital sources to Zone 2, otherwise only analog inputs to Zone 2.

If you want the upgrade, and what you could sell the used X2000 for is less than the difference of a new AVR, it's probably worth the upgrade.

Quote:
Will cost me around Eur100 to "upgrade".
I do have a 4K TV and some 4K content. I do use Spotify but it works fine on the X2000 so not the reason to upgrade.

Main reasons I'm considering upgrade:
1. S950H has dual HDMI out. This will be useful for me.
2. I will get a new warranty period - the X2000 is 6 years old.
3. I have Atmos content - no height speakers for now (not sure if I will have later to be honest) but Atmos content seems to work better even on normal speakers (I have another setup in another room that I recently upgraded to Atmos).
post #5 of 6 Old 05-30-2020, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by philpoe View Post
Is an X2600H an upgrade option? If so, for how much? With that you'd get the benefits of both of the other models, and it's more of a direct descendant of the X2000.
The warranty and 4K HDR playback are compelling. The usefulness of dual outputs may dictate your choice otherwise.
If you have a need for Zone 2 playback, the X-series is a little more compelling as you can mirror digital sources to Zone 2, otherwise only analog inputs to Zone 2.

If you want the upgrade, and what you could sell the used X2000 for is less than the difference of a new AVR, it's probably worth the upgrade.
The X2600H is some Eur400 more in my region and I simply cannot justify it. To be honest I'm sold on the S950H feature wise - but I am worried I might loose some "power" / sound quality.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-30-2020, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Eur400 is indeed a pretty big jump!

The 5W difference between the X2000 and S950H shouldn't be noticeable, and sound quality should be very similar since the various S900 and X2000 models have shared design over the years.
You give up Audyssey XT for "regular" Audyssey, but gain a bunch of modern features and a refreshed warranty.

Good luck with the decision!

Quote:
The X2600H is some Eur400 more in my region and I simply cannot justify it. To be honest I'm sold on the S950H feature wise - but I am worried I might loose some "power" / sound quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page