7-channel AVR vs 7-channel power amp. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Leeliemix
  • 2 Post By afrogt
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 05-30-2020, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,074
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 201
7-channel AVR vs 7-channel power amp.

Can someone please educate me about the power amp?
I currently have 5.1.2 system with Yamaha TSR-7850 AVR.
What's wrong with it? Nothing, it's just I'm somehow not happy with it.
It seems under-power. Is it really under-power or just my feeling, honestly I don't know.
So I am looking for a power amp, the Emotiva BasX A-700.
According to the spec, the TSR-7850 produces 95W (0.06% THD into 8-ohm, 20Hz-20kHz, 2-channel). Nowhere to mention the wattage driven all channels.
The BasX A-700 produces 110W (<0.1% THD into 8-ohm, 20Hz-20kHz, 2-channel) and 80W all-channels.
So, besides spending $600 bucks plus some RCA cables, am I getting any improvement from it?

Additional questions, assuming that I do get some benefits from running a power amp, is it worth to go with 7-channel, or 5-channel is OK?
Say, if I am driving the L/R channels to the power amp, does that mean the Yammy AVR will have more juice for other channels.

I pick the Emotiva BasX A-700 as an example for learning. It doesn't mean I am sticking with it.

Regards
tinhvo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 Old 05-30-2020, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,394
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Left right and maybe center should be enough to make the AVRs life easier.
Are you sure its the speakers and not the sub that makes it feel lacking?
Also what are your crossovers at? (And i assume speakers are set to small)


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
eljaycanuck likes this.
Leeliemix is offline  
post #3 of 28 Old 05-30-2020, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 28,329
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2492 Post(s)
Liked: 1629
The TSR-7850 only has preamp outputs for the front L&R channels so you'd be wasting your time with a 7 channel amp vs just getting a 2 channel amp.
eljaycanuck and khcoach like this.

Afro GT
afrogt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 28 Old 05-30-2020, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
eljaycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 10,525
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2161 Post(s)
Liked: 3150
As indicated above, have you calibrated your set-up? If 'yes' and you still feel that it's underpowered, get a two-channel Emo and for your mains. (Or replace your AVR with one that has multi-channel pre-outs, get a 3 channel amp for your L-C-R and let your receiver handle the surrounds.)
eljaycanuck is offline  
post #5 of 28 Old 05-30-2020, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
skylarlove1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Honey Brook Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,165
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2268 Post(s)
Liked: 2406
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinhvo View Post
Can someone please educate me about the power amp?
I currently have 5.1.2 system with Yamaha TSR-7850 AVR.
What's wrong with it? Nothing, it's just I'm somehow not happy with it.
It seems under-power. Is it really under-power or just my feeling, honestly I don't know.
So I am looking for a power amp, the Emotiva BasX A-700.
According to the spec, the TSR-7850 produces 95W (0.06% THD into 8-ohm, 20Hz-20kHz, 2-channel). Nowhere to mention the wattage driven all channels.
The BasX A-700 produces 110W (<0.1% THD into 8-ohm, 20Hz-20kHz, 2-channel) and 80W all-channels.
So, besides spending $600 bucks plus some RCA cables, am I getting any improvement from it?

Additional questions, assuming that I do get some benefits from running a power amp, is it worth to go with 7-channel, or 5-channel is OK?
Say, if I am driving the L/R channels to the power amp, does that mean the Yammy AVR will have more juice for other channels.

I pick the Emotiva BasX A-700 as an example for learning. It doesn't mean I am sticking with it.

Regards
I agree with a previous posters comments about potentially your sub being the weak point of your system it really changes the dynamic power and Sound Stage of your entire speakers when you add a really good subwoofer or two.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tristan Jones
skylarlove1999 is online now  
post #6 of 28 Old 05-30-2020, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,074
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Thanks to all who provide input to help me so far.

@Leeliemix , first thanks for your input. All 7 speakers set to Small, the front three for sure set to 80Hz. I can't remember on top of my head which crossover I set for the rear speakers.

@afrogt , thanks for reminding me the pre-outs of my AVR. I was thinking about the other AVR that I owned which has 7 pre-outs.

@eljaycanuck , thanks for your suggestion. Yes, I did run YPAO and set all speakers to Small with crossover set to 80Hz. I run 6dB hot on my sub as well.

@skylarlove1999 , thanks for your suggestion. I know I am not a bass-head so I don't need that kind of chest-pounding feeling. It will be great if I know what I am missing b4 spending for another sub or anything.


So, here's the thing.
I blame myself first for whatever reason I run into, from getting old, too much earwax, etc. to unable to identify the issue.

First, I know for sure that I have one of the worst room for home theater, it's big, it's open-concept that wide open to the kitchen, it's hardwood floor with no room treatment whatsoever.
With this room, I don't think any set of speakers will sound good. That's a sole reason why I don't provide speakers feedback/review. It's not fair to give it low stars due to my room conditions. I just have to live with it.
Anyway, if you all are interested to know which speakers I have, I have the T2 for FL/FR, C2 for center, B1 for RL/RR and tiny satellite speakers for heights.
I do have 15" seal sub, the Gamma from RA (I'm sure you all know what it is )
When upgrading to those Emo speakers, especially the C2, I expected great thing from it. Well, I don't get it. The clarity is nowhere near my expectation. It is pretty much the same with my previous center, the Energy RC-LCR.
I can't hear things clearly, even though I pumped up the diaglog level. I don't blame them though, I blame me for getting old, I guess.
The T2s too, they are just on par with my previous L/R, the Energy RC-70. I couldn't see/feel/hear anything better.
I'm not listening at reference level or anywhere near it. I normally set the volume at -30dB (shown on the AVR display), now I need to crank it to -20dB, of course it's louder but not clearer, the clarity isn't there.
Anyway, I'm not here to review the Emo speakers, I just want to know whether a more powerful AVR or a power amp can help me to get some improvement on clarity.


Oh, and the sub too, I'm not getting much improvement compared to my previous sub which is a small 12" seal from SVS, can't remember the model#, it's the one they discontinued but occasionally have it onsale for $400 during Thanksgiving (I think).
tinhvo is offline  
post #7 of 28 Old 05-30-2020, 09:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
spyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,865
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Dialogue clarity is a function of your receiver and your center channel speaker. Several Denon and Marantz receivers have a dialogue enhancement circuit. Unfortunately the circuit is only in the upper models of receivers.

Before you spend a lot of money try to get bye with subtitles.
spyboy is offline  
post #8 of 28 Old 05-31-2020, 03:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,394
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Subwoofers are so much more than just deep body hitting sound and they are very important in determining how you percieve the frequencies above. One sealed 15inch isnt going to cut it at all. You probably should go for ported also.
You also listen faily low to moderate volume (i do too) but that means things wont sound as impressive especially if the bass is sorely lacking. Yes you hearing does matter but not as much as volume and room. To make it sound better especially on lower volumes run the sub a little hot, and or use audyssey dynamic EQ or similar depending on AVR brand.

Voice clarity is complex and yes your hearing matter a lot there but also the room and center channel placement. Make sure the center is pointed directly at your ears, not your stomach or above your head. And the actual center speaker ofc, is it good or not. Subtitles is definatly an option. Americans usually dont use it but the rest of the world does a lot.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Leeliemix is offline  
post #9 of 28 Old 05-31-2020, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mocs123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,278
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 408
What speakers do you have? What size room?



When you say "under-powered" -what makes you come to that conclusion? Are you hearing clipping? Are you not getting enough volume? Dialog clarity?



An aftermarket amp will provide more power than your Yamaha for sure, but it may not be needed. I'd say for most people in most rooms, an aftermarket amp isn't needed.

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic UB420, Apple TV 4K, JBL Studio 530’s, Dual Driver VBSS

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne, Roku Express (2019)
Mocs123 is offline  
post #10 of 28 Old 05-31-2020, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,074
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeliemix View Post
Subwoofers are so much more than just deep body hitting sound and they are very important in determining how you percieve the frequencies above. One sealed 15inch isnt going to cut it at all. You probably should go for ported also.
You also listen faily low to moderate volume (i do too) but that means things wont sound as impressive especially if the bass is sorely lacking. Yes you hearing does matter but not as much as volume and room. To make it sound better especially on lower volumes run the sub a little hot, and or use audyssey dynamic EQ or similar depending on AVR brand.

Voice clarity is complex and yes your hearing matter a lot there but also the room and center channel placement. Make sure the center is pointed directly at your ears, not your stomach or above your head. And the actual center speaker ofc, is it good or not. Subtitles is definatly an option. Americans usually dont use it but the rest of the world does a lot.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As mentioned above, I run 6dB hot.
Low-freq rumbling is another issue but it isn't my biggest concern.
The dialogue clarity is.
I guess it's just me
tinhvo is offline  
post #11 of 28 Old 05-31-2020, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,074
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
What speakers do you have? What size room?



When you say "under-powered" -what makes you come to that conclusion? Are you hearing clipping? Are you not getting enough volume? Dialog clarity?



An aftermarket amp will provide more power than your Yamaha for sure, but it may not be needed. I'd say for most people in most rooms, an aftermarket amp isn't needed.
"What speakers do you have? What size room?" Emo T2/C2/B1 combo. Room is big, 24'x20' I think, high ceiling, wide open to kitchen. Not ideal for sure.



"When you say "under-powered" -what makes you come to that conclusion? Are you hearing clipping? Are you not getting enough volume? Dialog clarity?" to be honest, I don't know, I just feel so. I feel like something is missing. Diaglog clarity is definitely NOT there but as I said previously, it could be my own hearing issue.




"An aftermarket amp will provide more power than your Yamaha for sure, but it may not be needed. I'd say for most people in most rooms, an aftermarket amp isn't needed." Thanks for your input. This is kind of answer I am looking for.
tinhvo is offline  
post #12 of 28 Old 05-31-2020, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mocs123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,278
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 408
If dialog clarity is your biggest issue, I might suggest that the issue could be room acoustics if you haven't done any room treatments. Reflections from your room can cause dialog to sound muddy and muffled.

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic UB420, Apple TV 4K, JBL Studio 530’s, Dual Driver VBSS

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne, Roku Express (2019)
Mocs123 is offline  
post #13 of 28 Old 05-31-2020, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,394
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinhvo View Post
As mentioned above, I run 6dB hot.
Low-freq rumbling is another issue but it isn't my biggest concern.
The dialogue clarity is.
I guess it's just me

Everything is connected so if the bass is rumbly or muddy then that messes up speach also.

Is dialogue clarity an issue on everything or just a few? (News/tv/streaming/blu-ray)

A picture of your front line setup would be very helpful.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Leeliemix is offline  
post #14 of 28 Old 05-31-2020, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mocs123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,278
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinhvo View Post
"What speakers do you have? What size room?" Emo T2/C2/B1 combo. Room is big, 24'x20' I think, high ceiling, wide open to kitchen. Not ideal for sure.



"When you say "under-powered" -what makes you come to that conclusion? Are you hearing clipping? Are you not getting enough volume? Dialog clarity?" to be honest, I don't know, I just feel so. I feel like something is missing. Diaglog clarity is definitely NOT there but as I said previously, it could be my own hearing issue.




"An aftermarket amp will provide more power than your Yamaha for sure, but it may not be needed. I'd say for most people in most rooms, an aftermarket amp isn't needed." Thanks for your input. This is kind of answer I am looking for.

That Emotiva should be a good center - I've not heard it, but it seems to be generally well thought of. While those Emotiva's are relatively efficient they are also listed as 4 Ohm loads, which to be honest might be a bit much for a receiver, though I would expect that to manifest itself with the receiver overheating instead of unclear dialog.


My guess is your unclear dialog is still a matter of room acoustics and should be corrected with some acoustic panels (Acoustimac and GIK Acoustics sell art panels that would meet WAF) but if you don't want to treat the room it wouldn't hurt to try an amp. If you were able to find one locally or used, you might could try it and sell it if you don't notice much difference for minimal loss.



My personal guess is you probably won't notice a ton of difference and I don't think it will fix your dialog issue (but you never know). It should make life easier on your receiver though, particularly if you listen at high volume.

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic UB420, Apple TV 4K, JBL Studio 530’s, Dual Driver VBSS

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne, Roku Express (2019)
Mocs123 is offline  
post #15 of 28 Old 05-31-2020, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,394
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Re-read one of your replies and if you have quite bad height channels that can make it more difficult to get clear sound from the rest. Just having heights can make it more difficult if you have certain hearing problems. Try without and see if it helps.

Have you tried with and without room correction to see?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Leeliemix is offline  
post #16 of 28 Old 05-31-2020, 02:36 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Please read through my entire thread.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...endations.html

I have the same speakers (E2 instead of B1, but B1 is on the way though lol), and exactly know what you are going through.

yes, i am pretty sure your receiver isn't driving the speakers properly.
David Byun is offline  
post #17 of 28 Old 05-31-2020, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
altpensacola's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,012
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinhvo View Post

First, I know for sure that I have one of the worst room for home theater, it's big, it's open-concept that wide open to the kitchen, it's hardwood floor with no room treatment whatsoever.
With this room, I don't think any set of speakers will sound good. That's a sole reason why I don't provide speakers feedback/review. It's not fair to give it low stars due to my room conditions. I just have to live with it.
Anyway, if you all are interested to know which speakers I have, I have the T2 for FL/FR, C2 for center, B1 for RL/RR and tiny satellite speakers for heights.
I do have 15" seal sub, the Gamma from RA (I'm sure you all know what it is )
When upgrading to those Emo speakers, especially the C2, I expected great thing from it. Well, I don't get it. The clarity is nowhere near my expectation. It is pretty much the same with my previous center, the Energy RC-LCR.
I can't hear things clearly, even though I pumped up the diaglog level. I don't blame them though, I blame me for getting old, I guess.
The T2s too, they are just on par with my previous L/R, the Energy RC-70. I couldn't see/feel/hear anything better.
I'm not listening at reference level or anywhere near it. I normally set the volume at -30dB (shown on the AVR display), now I need to crank it to -20dB, of course it's louder but not clearer, the clarity isn't there.
.
If you are losing clarity from -30 to -20 something is definitely wrong.
The goal should be no distortion up to 0, reference, whether you listen at reference or not in a larger theater system.
Distortion at higher volume is bad harmonics before it gets there, it can be gradual and you don't realize it. Most people don't realize the distortion they are listening to until they clean up their system.
And being in a large open room, you usually need more power, or more sensitive speakers (horns and big box woofers).
But two things need to happen before more power can fix this:
1. You have to have speakers made for theater levels. (actual box size at some point and power rating numbers.)
2. Your source has to be clean to begin with, you can't power clean MP3's and other compressed data.

Also like the other poster said, unhook the little height speakers and see if they are throwing in the smear because they can't take it.

Music, more music.
altpensacola is offline  
post #18 of 28 Old 06-01-2020, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,074
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
If dialog clarity is your biggest issue, I might suggest that the issue could be room acoustics if you haven't done any room treatments. Reflections from your room can cause dialog to sound muddy and muffled.

I got 7'x10' rug lie on the floor, right in front of the sofa.
I got two decent canvas pictures of my kids hanging on the back wall.
That doesn't help much though.
tinhvo is offline  
post #19 of 28 Old 06-01-2020, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,074
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeliemix View Post
Everything is connected so if the bass is rumbly or muddy then that messes up speach also.

Is dialogue clarity an issue on everything or just a few? (News/tv/streaming/blu-ray)

A picture of your front line setup would be very helpful.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Is dialogue clarity an issue on everything or just a few? (News/tv/streaming/blu-ray)" Ans: all of them.

Now you got me to bring up another thing.


When I watching/listening, say a Youtube clip directly from my Sammy TV (meaning using TV speakers), it's pretty clear and I'm happy with it.
But when watching/listening through my system, set to Straight (PCM shown on AVR display). I have issue.
Hmmm
tinhvo is offline  
post #20 of 28 Old 06-01-2020, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,074
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
That Emotiva should be a good center - I've not heard it, but it seems to be generally well thought of. While those Emotiva's are relatively efficient they are also listed as 4 Ohm loads, which to be honest might be a bit much for a receiver, though I would expect that to manifest itself with the receiver overheating instead of unclear dialog.


My guess is your unclear dialog is still a matter of room acoustics and should be corrected with some acoustic panels (Acoustimac and GIK Acoustics sell art panels that would meet WAF) but if you don't want to treat the room it wouldn't hurt to try an amp. If you were able to find one locally or used, you might could try it and sell it if you don't notice much difference for minimal loss.



My personal guess is you probably won't notice a ton of difference and I don't think it will fix your dialog issue (but you never know). It should make life easier on your receiver though, particularly if you listen at high volume.
Thanks Mocs,
I think I pretty much agree with most if not all of your points.
tinhvo is offline  
post #21 of 28 Old 06-01-2020, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,074
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeliemix View Post
Re-read one of your replies and if you have quite bad height channels that can make it more difficult to get clear sound from the rest. Just having heights can make it more difficult if you have certain hearing problems. Try without and see if it helps.

Have you tried with and without room correction to see?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think I got the unclear dialog even before adding the .2 for height but I can certainly try to remove them off the system and observe what happens.
I did run YPAO.
Haven't tried w/o it.
tinhvo is offline  
post #22 of 28 Old 06-01-2020, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,074
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Byun View Post
Please read through my entire thread.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...endations.html

I have the same speakers (E2 instead of B1, but B1 is on the way though lol), and exactly know what you are going through.

yes, i am pretty sure your receiver isn't driving the speakers properly.
It was my initial thought, that's why I create this thread.
I love to give the 3-channel power amp a try but too bad, my AVR only has L/R pre-outs
I want to drive the center most.
Will find a way.


Thanks m8
tinhvo is offline  
post #23 of 28 Old 06-01-2020, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,074
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by altpensacola View Post
If you are losing clarity from -30 to -20 something is definitely wrong.
The goal should be no distortion up to 0, reference, whether you listen at reference or not in a larger theater system.
Distortion at higher volume is bad harmonics before it gets there, it can be gradual and you don't realize it. Most people don't realize the distortion they are listening to until they clean up their system.
And being in a large open room, you usually need more power, or more sensitive speakers (horns and big box woofers).
But two things need to happen before more power can fix this:
1. You have to have speakers made for theater levels. (actual box size at some point and power rating numbers.)
2. Your source has to be clean to begin with, you can't power clean MP3's and other compressed data.

Also like the other poster said, unhook the little height speakers and see if they are throwing in the smear because they can't take it.
Will try that.
Thx m8
tinhvo is offline  
post #24 of 28 Old 06-01-2020, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,394
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinhvo View Post
"Is dialogue clarity an issue on everything or just a few? (News/tv/streaming/blu-ray)" Ans: all of them.

Now you got me to bring up another thing.


When I watching/listening, say a Youtube clip directly from my Sammy TV (meaning using TV speakers), it's pretty clear and I'm happy with it.
But when watching/listening through my system, set to Straight (PCM shown on AVR display). I have issue.
Hmmm

I dont know yamaha very well but are you sure running straight with youtube isnt actually stereo without any center speaker?
Try dolby surround or similar sound mode.
Although if problems on bluray and others which do have a center channel track its just a side issue.
A rug doesnt help as much unless its at the “reflection” point on the floor between you and the speakers, if its too close to the seating position it will help overall room sound but wont help with early first reflections off the floor.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Leeliemix is offline  
post #25 of 28 Old 06-01-2020, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,394
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinhvo View Post
I think I got the unclear dialog even before adding the .2 for height but I can certainly try to remove them off the system and observe what happens.
I did run YPAO.
Haven't tried w/o it.

Try without the YPAO room correction on, its possible it make it worse, especially if you had a bad sweep run. It may try and compensate for something that isnt there normally which may give muddy sound. Easy to try and listen.
Leeliemix is offline  
post #26 of 28 Old 06-01-2020, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,074
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Thanks Leeliemix,
I'll give it another try later.
I think the room is the culprit . Put a blame on it for now.
tinhvo is offline  
post #27 of 28 Old 06-01-2020, 07:36 PM
DAB
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: SF CA
Posts: 2,678
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 89
" I was thinking about the other AVR that I owned which has 7 pre-outs."
If you currently still own this AVR-- could you connect the two -using your 7 pe-out
for RCL-???
db
DAB is offline  
post #28 of 28 Old 06-01-2020, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,074
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post
" I was thinking about the other AVR that I owned which has 7 pre-outs."
If you currently still own this AVR-- could you connect the two -using your 7 pe-out
for RCL-???
db
By "the two" you meant my other AVR and ??? the 7-channel power amp?
The AVR, yes I think I still have it on the shelf in the garage. Actually I believe I have two dated AVRs in the garage.
The old one is Onkyo which doesn't even has HDMI port, yeah, that old.
The other one is another Yamaha but it's lack of Atmos/DTS:X.
I built a 5.1.2 system hence I went for a new AVR, I purchase the TSR-7850 (last year model, I think or the year before) from Costco.
I should have gone for the previous model, TSR-7810 which has full 7 pre-outs channels.
Well, I guess I just have to live with it.
Thanks for chime in, m8
tinhvo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off