Outlaw 976, Marantz AV7705, or Other Surround Processor / Pre-Amp Recommendations - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DAK

post #1 of 5 Old 05-30-2020, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Outlaw 976, Marantz AV7705, or Other Surround Processor / Pre-Amp Recommendations

My old Lexicon MC-12 preamp stopped powering on yesterday, with a blinking yellow LED in the front. I'm guessing there is a problem with the power supply. The MC-12 is an older product, from before HDMI, so I've been using optical audio inputs and using HDMI only for video, bypassing the MC-12. I'd like to replace it with a new product that supports HDMI, as well as various other newer technologies, such as Bluetooth connections. My system requirements are:

Must Haves
7 Channels + LFE
Balanced Speaker Outputs
RCA Speaker Outputs
HDMI Inputs
Good Sound Quality
Good Reliability

Nice to Have
Bluetooth
Subwoofer
4k Support
Large Variety of Sound Modes and Speaker Configuration Options
New (open to buying open box, refurbished, and such so long as I can expect good reliability)
Long Warranty
Good Phone/Tech Support

Searching around, I am finding that my balanced speaker output requirement limits my options, as well as the minimum price. Most of the options I found were in the mid 4-figures range. I'd like to keep my budget on the lower end -- no more than $2k, and preferably far lower. In this budget range, two standouts appear to be the Outlaw 976 and the Marantz AV770* line.

Does anyone have recommendations for products? Or a good reason to favor one of Outlaw 976 and Marantz AV770* over the other? I

Last edited by NolanA; 05-30-2020 at 04:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-30-2020, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Did you have any streaming subscriptions? What are your source equipment pieces?

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Media Room: LG oled65c7, Marantz AV8805, Sherbourn 7/2100, Emotiva A-300, Studer A80, Studer Revox b795, Nakamichi RX-202, HTPC, exaSound e38, Sweetvinyl Sugarcube SC-2, (2) Piega P10, Piega Coax Center, (6) Piega AP 1.2, Hsu VTF-15h mk2
Office: Emotiva mini-x A100, Geek Pulse, (2) KEF LS-50, Goldenear FF 4, PC, NAS 130TB
Bedroom: Panasonic TCP55vt35, Marantz NR1200, Dune 3 Prime, (2) Elac Uni-Fi UB5
post #3 of 5 Old 05-30-2020, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post
Did you have any streaming subscriptions? What are your source equipment pieces?

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
I currently do not have any streaming subscriptions This may be something I'll pursue in the future. I also might want to integrate in to Amazon Alexa, Google Home, and/or Homeseer automation at some point in the future, but this isn't an essential feature. For now, I have more movies saved than I'll ever watch on my DVR, so I haven't found the need for streaming subscriptions. This DirecTV DVR has been my main input source, for both TV and movies. I also sometimes watch movies using my Samsung Blu-ray as a source. When I have streamed music or movies in the past, I did so through the Samsung Blu-ray, which supports Amazon Prime, Hulu, Pandora music, among others. The output audio equipment is mostly higher end amplifiers and speakers -- Bryston, Infinity IRS, ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-30-2020, 04:40 PM
DAK

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanA View Post
Searching around, I am finding that my balanced speaker output requirement limits my options, as well as the minimum price. Most of the options I found were in the mid 4-figures range. I'd like to keep my budget on the lower end -- no more than $2k, and preferably far lower. In this budget range, two standouts appear to be the Outlaw 976 and the Marantz AV770* line.
I have a mint condition Marantz 7705 that I am willing to sell. The 7705 ticks all your boxes... I upgraded it to an 8805 because I needed more outputs, so it's just been sitting in the box. PM me if interested.
Hetfieldjames likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-30-2020, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Comparing the Outlaw 776 to the Marantz 770* line, I see that the Marantz has more features, but I believe I am unlikely to use those extra features. For example, the Marantz 7705 supports 11 channels, with immersive formats like Dolby Atmos. That would be a great benefit for theaters that supported this format. However, my theater only supports 7 channels, and the speakers do not support Dolby Atmos. I don't plan to upgrade this basic 7 channel format any time soon. One extra feature that I think I would use is Bluetooth to stream from my phone. The Marantz has Bluetooth built in, while you need to buy separate Bluetooth receiver for the Outlaw 976. Outlaw sells one for $60. That extra part is inconvenient, but not enough to justify the large difference in price for me.

Are there any other extra features or benefits that the Marantz 770* line has, which might justify the extra price for my basic 7-channel usage? This could include things like differences in reliability or support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page