Choose "Large" speaker setting on my receiver with bookself speakers & no sub? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-30-2020, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Choose "Large" speaker setting on my receiver with bookself speakers & no sub?

My Boston Acoustics CSSUB10B subwoofer stopped working and I'm currently without a sub. I may or may not replace it and even if I decide to replace it, it will take me a while to get a new one. In the meantime, my receiver has the option of setting "no" on subwoofer in the settings menu. But that shifts the front speaker settings to "Large" so that means it will send the bass to my two front speakers. My two front speakers are Polk Audio Monitor30 Series II, which are only bookshelf speakers with a tweeter and a small 5" woofer. So they're technically not "large" by any means. Will setting it to large overpower my speakers and potentially damage them? Should I leave my subwoofer setting to "on" so it keeps the front speakers to "small"?

Last edited by MrHT; 05-30-2020 at 04:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-30-2020, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked: 779
Keep subwoofer OFF..
But now keep the volume, bass and treble, loudness controls @ reasonable settings or U can overpower the bookshelf loudspeakers..

Just my $0.02...
post #3 of 5 Old 05-30-2020, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2526 Post(s)
Liked: 2822
Small and Large designations simply means bass manages or not bass managed so without a subwoofer set the sub setting to Off and mains run full range or Large. Just maintain reasonable listening levels.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-31-2020, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 200
If you don't have a sub I am surprised you get an option for setting the speakers. But since you do, set it to large, and then you'll find out what the bookshelf 55hz speakers can do, it might not be too bad except for some movies. If it sounds bad turn it down.
I have some little Infinity bookshelf speakers and they have "magic" clean tight clear bass for music.
I've heard other small speakers where you would swear there was a sub hidden somewhere. Depends on their design and the room I guess.

Music, more music.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-31-2020, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by altpensacola View Post
If you don't have a sub I am surprised you get an option for setting the speakers. But since you do, set it to large, and then you'll find out what the bookshelf 55hz speakers can do, it might not be too bad except for some movies. If it sounds bad turn it down.
I have some little Infinity bookshelf speakers and they have "magic" clean tight clear bass for music.
I've heard other small speakers where you would swear there was a sub hidden somewhere. Depends on their design and the room I guess.

No, the option goes away and is fixed to "Large" when you set subwoofer to "Off." So the only way to have the option of setting it to "small" is to turn subwoofer "On."

Anyways, I set the subwoofer to "off" which fixes the speaker option to "large" and was actually very pleased with the bass I got from those small bookshelf speakers. I wonder if instead of getting a new sub, I should upgrade my Polk Audio Monitor 30 speakers to the Monitor 40 ones. I really wonder if I would get a substantial upgrade in bass with those speakers due to the extra woofer on those.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page