Best whole home audio amp under $200/unit | Arylic A50 Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-03-2020, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Best whole home audio amp under $200/unit | Arylic A50 Review

Sonos Amp is expensive. What did I, a discerning audio enthusiast, do when they cannot justify the price of Sonos Amp? I searched for an alternative. After nearly a week of searching, I discovered the Arylic A50. I’ve been playing with it for a couple of days, and I’ve got some thoughts. To set the bar, this is pretty affordable since I picked it up on sale from the manufacturer’s website for just $169.

The Amp is sturdily built. It’s a robust metal enclosure. The front panel is glossy black and has a window for a light and IR receiver for the included remote, which has basic controls. I only used it once, to turn it on. After setup, which was pretty easy to figure out by reading the manual with plenty of screenshots to walk me through, I used the 4Stream app on both my Samsung and my iPhone to control the Amp. The 4Stream app has native support for 24bit .flac playback. AirPlay works with my iPhone. The 4Stream app also has internet radio integrations, which worked well. It also supports, Interestingly, it also includes an RCA-RCA cable for use as a pre-amp and a 3.5mm-RCA for line-in.

This Amp can drive 2x50w at 8ohms. I used a pair of JBL MR26 bookshelf speakers to test the amp. (8ohm, up to 100w) It didn’t get even the slightest bit warm after about two hours of continuous playback at about 60% volume. I linked it with my Google Home Mini for audio output, and it worked okay. The Bluetooth 5 quality is pretty good because of the well-sized, rotatable antennae on the back panel. The Google Home Mini does have an issue with stuttering audio, which isn’t the amps fault. I tried Bluetooth with my iPhone X and my Galaxy S9+ with absolutely no problems. While speaking on connectivity, I should mention this supports multi-room playback for whole-home audio installs, just like Sonos. On the box, it shows that it is compatible with Spotify Connect, but I later found out in the manual and the Spotify app that this device requires Spotify Premium. I don’t know why. I didn’t even know that there are premium requirements for select Spotify connect devices. I bypassed that by just using Bluetooth and the included 3.5mm-RCA cable.

Overall, I’m pretty happy with the amp. I’d recommend it for people who aren’t willing to shell out an arm and a leg for Sonos. Any thoughts or questions on this?

Not sponsored, I bought because I saw people on youtube using the board for building smart speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-03-2020, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvester McGovern View Post
Sonos Amp is expensive. What did I, a discerning audio enthusiast, do when they cannot justify the price of Sonos Amp? I searched for an alternative. After nearly a week of searching, I discovered the Arylic A50. I’ve been playing with it for a couple of days, and I’ve got some thoughts. To set the bar, this is pretty affordable since I picked it up on sale from the manufacturer’s website for just $169.

The Amp is sturdily built. It’s a robust metal enclosure. The front panel is glossy black and has a window for a light and IR receiver for the included remote, which has basic controls. I only used it once, to turn it on. After setup, which was pretty easy to figure out by reading the manual with plenty of screenshots to walk me through, I used the 4Stream app on both my Samsung and my iPhone to control the Amp. The 4Stream app has native support for 24bit .flac playback. AirPlay works with my iPhone. The 4Stream app also has internet radio integrations, which worked well. It also supports, Interestingly, it also includes an RCA-RCA cable for use as a pre-amp and a 3.5mm-RCA for line-in.

This Amp can drive 2x50w at 8ohms. I used a pair of JBL MR26 bookshelf speakers to test the amp. (8ohm, up to 100w) It didn’t get even the slightest bit warm after about two hours of continuous playback at about 60% volume. I linked it with my Google Home Mini for audio output, and it worked okay. The Bluetooth 5 quality is pretty good because of the well-sized, rotatable antennae on the back panel. The Google Home Mini does have an issue with stuttering audio, which isn’t the amps fault. I tried Bluetooth with my iPhone X and my Galaxy S9+ with absolutely no problems. While speaking on connectivity, I should mention this supports multi-room playback for whole-home audio installs, just like Sonos. On the box, it shows that it is compatible with Spotify Connect, but I later found out in the manual and the Spotify app that this device requires Spotify Premium. I don’t know why. I didn’t even know that there are premium requirements for select Spotify connect devices. I bypassed that by just using Bluetooth and the included 3.5mm-RCA cable.

Overall, I’m pretty happy with the amp. I’d recommend it for people who aren’t willing to shell out an arm and a leg for Sonos. Any thoughts or questions on this?

Not sponsored, I bought because I saw people on youtube using the board for building smart speakers.
thx for posting.
@Sylvester McGovern have you tried any of the other wireless/wifi ecosystems beside Sonos?

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Ascend Acoustics Duo,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.

Last edited by smithsabom; 06-03-2020 at 03:26 PM.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-03-2020, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked: 1359
Interesting first post for not being an advert.

I can't imagine many people on this forum have an interest in Sonos or Sonos clones.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
amp and receiver , stereo , whole home , whole home audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page