How important is it to match separate amps? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-04-2020, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
How important is it to match separate amps?

I recently finished my first ATMOS home theatre build and Im absolutely loving it (acoustical treatment and all!). I currently only have the Front LR speakers powered by a separate amp, the rest of the 9 speakers are powered by the receiver. I have the opportunity to get a vintage Rotel RA-214 amp. Was thinking of using this to power my Center channel. Wondering if this will have a different sound signature and its a bad idea. I like the idea of my front stage all being on separates to get the clearest sound. I feel adding a separate to the center would be a nice touch to make dialogue in movies even more clear and also to take some of the load off the AVR.

System Information.

Denon AVRX4500H 9.2 Channel AVR
Onkyo M-5010 2-Channel Amplifier
ELAC B6.2 Front L&R
ELAC C6.2 Centre
ELAC OW4.2 Surrounds
Micca M-8C Ceiling.
SVS PC 12 Plus

Im thinking I should probably get another matching Onkyo M-5010 for the center channel but maybe Im wrong and the vintage Rotel would be perfect.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200512_215029.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	2736868  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-06-2020, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Clair View Post
I recently finished my first ATMOS home theatre build and Im absolutely loving it (acoustical treatment and all!). I currently only have the Front LR speakers powered by a separate amp, the rest of the 9 speakers are powered by the receiver. I have the opportunity to get a vintage Rotel RA-214 amp. Was thinking of using this to power my Center channel. Wondering if this will have a different sound signature and its a bad idea. I like the idea of my front stage all being on separates to get the clearest sound. I feel adding a separate to the center would be a nice touch to make dialogue in movies even more clear and also to take some of the load off the AVR.

System Information.

Denon AVRX4500H 9.2 Channel AVR
Onkyo M-5010 2-Channel Amplifier
ELAC B6.2 Front L&R
ELAC C6.2 Centre
ELAC OW4.2 Surrounds
Micca M-8C Ceiling.
SVS PC 12 Plus

Im thinking I should probably get another matching Onkyo M-5010 for the center channel but maybe Im wrong and the vintage Rotel would be perfect.

Cheers!
Save your money, a separate amp won't improve dialogue intelligibility at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page