"OFFICIAL" 2020 Denon AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8) - Page 42 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1869Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1231 of 1671 Old 06-30-2020, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 29,971
Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked: 6036
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguyca View Post
(1) At least these discussions are entertaining. Don't you realize that it appears Amir says those things to get a little under people's skin, to get them thinking. Think multi-level. Amir's use of the Panthers is also great. People get really excited when they don't like his panther rating. Don't you realize and others realize that are you are likely being played? That the "gotcha" may be on people who react so much to Amir's comments?
Ah yes, the old "he's not an a-hole he's just trolling LOL YOU GOT PWNED!" cop-out. He's not a tactless dck, he's just playing 4D chess

Spare me. What BS. That's just goalpost wiggling to try and deflect from Amir's snotty, sensationalist tone and maintain your personal narrative of Amir the Great showing up the incompetent rubes at the evil big company. He said what he said, and he didn't say it because he's some mastermind manipulator playing at another level, he said it because he's a self-important bigshot who wanted to take cheap shots at the integrity and competence of Sound United engineers to score internet points and show off for his fans.

Your argument falls flat when Audioholics / Gene DellaSala have proven that they achieve results doing similar objective tests and sometimes discovering problems, but without being jerks. Amir has been like this for years, he's very smart and very technical BUT he's also kind of a blowhard and gets out over his skis overstating his conclusions. He could continue to do everything he is doing, including some of the whimsical bits, and achieve results without the jerky insults. It's gross and unproductive, and it undercuts his legitimacy as an objective, technical reviewer; your silly argument is flatly rejected.

And, no, this is not entertaining. It's annoying AF when suddenly everyone is up in a tizzy, people are freaking out about purchasing decisions, and arguments and rumors and misinformation spread and detract from constructive discussions. How much time and energy has been wasted on this thread alone trying to analyze and talk people down off the ledge about some horrible "problem" that may not even be real?
Ricky, anders, seanbryan and 19 others like this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!

Last edited by batpig; 06-30-2020 at 12:28 PM.
batpig is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1232 of 1671 Old 06-30-2020, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bryantc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Europa
Posts: 1,108
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Ah yes, the old "he's not an a-hole he's just trolling LOL YOU GOT PWNED!" cop-out. He's not a tactless dck, he's just playing 4D chess

Spare me. What BS. That's just goalpost wiggling to try and deflect from Amir's snotty, sensationalist tone and maintain your personal narrative of Amir the Great showing up the incompetent rubes at the evil big company. He said what he said, and he didn't say it because he's some mastermind manipulator playing at another level, he said it because he's a self-important bigshot who wanted to take cheap shots at the integrity and competence of Sound United engineers to score internet points and show off for his fans.

Your argument falls flat when Audioholics / Gene DellaSala have proven that they achieve results doing similar objective tests and sometimes discovering problems, but without being jerks. Amir has been like this for years, he's very smart and very technical BUT he's also kind of a blowhard and gets out over his skis overstating his conclusions. He could continue to do everything he is doing, including some of the whimsical bits, and achieve results without the jerky insults. It's gross and unproductive, and it undercuts his legitimacy as an objective, technical reviewer; your silly argument is flatly rejected.

And, no, this is not entertaining. It's annoying AF when suddenly everyone is up in a tizzy, people are freaking out about purchasing decisions, and arguments and rumors and misinformation spread and detract from constructive discussions. How much time and energy has been wasted on this thread alone trying to analyze and talk people down off the ledge about some horrible "problem" that may not even be real?
I think you hit the nail on the head. If he posted the same results but without all the snark I don't think there would have been such a strong reaction.


I don't even claim to understand 10% of what was discussed in that review which is why I never commented on it. Nor do I have any brand loyalty to Denon or anyone else.

Media: LG 88" 8K OLED Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" 4K OLED C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
bryantc is offline  
post #1233 of 1671 Old 06-30-2020, 12:59 PM
Member
 
tinkinHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 11
[QUOTE=nolimits76;59883568]Woot woot. Getting excited. Been a long while since I had a new AVR and an upgrade is long overdue.
/QUOTE]


Hell yes! Almost done with the wiring for the switch to 5.2.4 with the old AVR powering the Zone 2 patio area. The waiting is making me broke though. Pulled the trigger today on some new towers.
skylarlove1999 likes this.
tinkinHD is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1234 of 1671 Old 06-30-2020, 01:09 PM
Member
 
Speaker Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
How much time and energy has been wasted on this thread alone trying to analyze and talk people down off the ledge about some horrible "problem" that may not even be real?
If I had a trophy and worked for this forum, you'd win the post of the day award.

I visit the ASR site often but refuse to donate, post, or join that group due to the often toxic behavior on that site. If there is a problem, approach it in a very professional manner and be objective as possible....it's what normal engineers do. I also never understood the constant comparison of desktop DACs to AV receivers.....it is a DAC that just converts digital to analog....an AV receiver has to process various video and audio standards, manage different zones, manage various input and setup configurations...all while maintaining reliability and being crammed in a small metal (& sometimes plastic) box with lots of amplifiers inside. It essentially is a "jack of all trades" in a box that must fit in various price points.

There are definitely some valuable metrics in his reviews that are definitely great, which is why I visit the site, but in some cases, comments on certain noise and jitter measurements are somewhat like....if I looked at my food through a microscope every time, I'd probably never eat again....Just remember, although data is good, be sure to take a step back to see how much of it matters in the end with your ears. At the end of the day, we all love to enjoy music & movies!

Back on topic.....I definitely have the Denon X3700H on my shortlist. I really think the preamp mode feature is a definite game changer. I really hope other manufacturers begin to incorporate this feature as well. It would definitely cut receiver energy consumption down when using it with a separate power amp. Hats off to the engineers who implemented this feature.
anders, sdurani, khcoach and 4 others like this.

Last edited by Speaker Robert; 06-30-2020 at 01:59 PM.
Speaker Robert is offline  
post #1235 of 1671 Old 06-30-2020, 01:21 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scourge1 View Post
Completely separate question. I picked up the 6007H yesterday and as I replace my old Onkyo TX-NR5008, I notice that the Denon does not have a rear USB port. I used the rear USB on the Onkyo to power (2) 4" variable speed fans to keep the HMDI board temperature down on the old unit. The HDMI board actually overheated and had to be replaced once and I have found that these two fans make a HUGE difference in unit temperature. I would rather not use the front USB on this unit and I do not want to power it from another source as they do not need to run when the Denon is off.

Anyway, I know this is a more general question, but does anyone know of a triggered or or easily switched solution to this? I'd like to reuse these fans on the new unit. I would love to be able to use one of the 12V triggers to turn on these fans with the unit, it possible (I am already using one trigger to activate my three external amps). In theory the unit has tons of ventilation (12" rear, 8" top, 12"+ on sides), but still.

Thanks for any help and the great conversations on this thread!
The 3700 series and up include two internal fans. If your receiver is in a closed cabinet extra fans might be necessary but have you tried using an infrared heat gun to see if you even need the external fans since there are two internal fans?
anders and tinkinHD like this.
btrach144 is offline  
post #1236 of 1671 Old 06-30-2020, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
sdurani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 28,926
Mentioned: 257 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7885 Post(s)
Liked: 7077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speaker Robert View Post
If I had a trophy and worked for this forum, you'd win the post of the day award.
I tried to Like his post more than once but the forum wouldn't let me.
laulau, skylarlove1999 and dfa973 like this.

Sanjay
sdurani is offline  
post #1237 of 1671 Old 06-30-2020, 01:33 PM
Member
 
Scourge1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by btrach144 View Post
The 3700 series and up include two internal fans. If your receiver is in a closed cabinet extra fans might be necessary but have you tried using an infrared heat gun to see if you even need the external fans since there are two internal fans?
Thanks for the reply! I honestly have not even powered on the unit yet (6700H not 6007H as incorrectly listed in my original post). I do have an infrared temperature gun and will monitor it. When my newest external amp arrives, I will turn off the internal amps on the unit as well, which can only help. The USB fans just seemed like cheap insurance and they make zero noise. I am surprised there is not a rear USB on the units.
skylarlove1999 likes this.
Scourge1 is offline  
post #1238 of 1671 Old 06-30-2020, 01:51 PM
Oppo Beta Group
 
RichB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 11,460
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2186 Post(s)
Liked: 1656
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Ah yes, the old "he's not an a-hole he's just trolling LOL YOU GOT PWNED!" cop-out. He's not a tactless dck, he's just playing 4D chess

Spare me. What BS. That's just goalpost wiggling to try and deflect from Amir's snotty, sensationalist tone and maintain your personal narrative of Amir the Great showing up the incompetent rubes at the evil big company. He said what he said, and he didn't say it because he's some mastermind manipulator playing at another level, he said it because he's a self-important bigshot who wanted to take cheap shots at the integrity and competence of Sound United engineers to score internet points and show off for his fans.

Your argument falls flat when Audioholics / Gene DellaSala have proven that they achieve results doing similar objective tests and sometimes discovering problems, but without being jerks. Amir has been like this for years, he's very smart and very technical BUT he's also kind of a blowhard and gets out over his skis overstating his conclusions. He could continue to do everything he is doing, including some of the whimsical bits, and achieve results without the jerky insults. It's gross and unproductive, and it undercuts his legitimacy as an objective, technical reviewer; your silly argument is flatly rejected.

And, no, this is not entertaining. It's annoying AF when suddenly everyone is up in a tizzy, people are freaking out about purchasing decisions, and arguments and rumors and misinformation spread and detract from constructive discussions. How much time and energy has been wasted on this thread alone trying to analyze and talk people down off the ledge about some horrible "problem" that may not even be real?
Jeez people, relax and let it play out.

Assuming it is a real issue, fix the problem not the blame

- Rich

Oppo UPD-205 x 2 | UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | Emotiva RMC-1 | Revel Salon2 x 4, Voice2 | Benchmark AHB2 x 5 | ATI AT522NC | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 77C9 | Lumagen 2020 | HDFury Vertex2
For Sale: Revel Studio2s https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-a...l#post59806962
RichB is offline  
post #1239 of 1671 Old 06-30-2020, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
muad'dib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,415
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilnh View Post
I'll be waiting for your review. I currently have Yamaha RX-A2080 , I have seen your useful posts reg Yamaha CX-A5200. Hence I'm keen to know your opinion about Denon X4700H
Hello..

Here is my quick review..Between my Yamaha cxa5200 and Denon X4700H in pre amp mode..

First thing I noticed with Denon compared to Yamaha, anthem avm60, etc I had and have owned. , is the steering.. Damn... much much more going on in surrounds and atmos speakers..on Denon..

I Calibrated all channels with REW to 75db and watched the same movie clips I like to use...

The movement and detail was stunning... I think these new chips in Denon extract every detail effortless..


Audyssey is same sound as my previous Marantz pre amp av7704 I had in past.. Which you either like or hate... I use the android app, and aim for a bright sound not bass heavy..

Since my room in unfinished, audyssey seems not to sound very good due to nonwalls to have sound reflect off..

I use Denon on pre amp mode.. It for sure runs cooler to touch than if not in pre amp mode.. Which is awesome..

Dynamics and soundstage are excellent for 2 channel.. Was not expecting that...

The Yamaha, seemed to do better job with its eq in my unfinished room.. So sound was brighter and more exciting...

Yamaha did an amazing job indeed, and in some areas excels over Denon, and in others not..

Steering was stellar, but Denon was better...
Dynamics were more on Yamaha, and soundstage was bigger also on Yamaha..

2 channel music sounded better in Denon.. But AI on Yamaha gives movies a cool edge for bigger sound...


I love both units.... Both have different sound...

But in my unfinished room, the Yamaha is the winner...

I think there is something about audyssey I don't like... It's not horrible, just seems somehow DARKER in sound...

if you want the newest tech and ultimate steering, the new Denons are the way to go..

For more dynamics, and wider soundstage and little more lively sound..Yamaha is the one...

Then other thing that shocked me, was the video quality. The Denon made the video look better... Not sure how but very nice surprise indeed.

Hope this helps..



Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk
muad'dib is online now  
post #1240 of 1671 Old 06-30-2020, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JD23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dallas
Posts: 2,794
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1071 Post(s)
Liked: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speaker Robert View Post
. I also never understood the constant comparison of desktop DACs to AV receivers.....it is a DAC that just converts digital to analog....an AV receiver has to process various video and audio standards, manage different zones, manage various input and setup configurations...all while maintaining reliability and being crammed in a small metal (& sometimes plastic) box with lots of amplifiers inside. It essentially is a "jack of all trades" in a box that must fit in various price points.

Totally agree about the silly comparisons between 13-channel AVRs and two-channel desktop DACs. It is like concluding every review of an internal combustion engine sports car with a complaint that the car uses more gasoline than a bicycle.
skylarlove1999 and tinkinHD like this.
JD23 is online now  
post #1241 of 1671 Old 06-30-2020, 02:41 PM
I'm That Guy, don't be me
 
Baff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Dark Side of the Earth
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
Totally agree about the silly comparisons between 13-channel AVRs and two-channel desktop DACs. It is like concluding every review of an internal combustion engine sports car with a complaint that the car uses more gasoline than a bicycle.
Yeah, I don't care how an AVR compares to a 2CH DAC. What is really important to me is how well it compares to a phone dongle. Amir saved me a lot of money. Instead of buying a 6700, I decided to go with a $10 dongle instead! My HT has never sounded so amazing. Now that I have made the switch, I don't know why anyone would ever buy an AVR. My mind is blown

LG 65" C9; Denon AVR-S750H
5.1.2: Emotiva Airmotiv C2, T-Zero (x2), E1 (x4); HSU VTF-2
Baff is offline  
post #1242 of 1671 Old 06-30-2020, 03:02 PM
Member
 
Speaker Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baff View Post
Yeah, I don't care how an AVR compares to a 2CH DAC. What is really important to me is how well it compares to a phone dongle. Amir saved me a lot of money. Instead of buying a 6700, I decided to go with a $10 dongle instead! My HT has never sounded so amazing. Now that I have made the switch, I don't know why anyone would ever buy an AVR. My mind is blown
Haha....nice! Hope it works out for you. At the end of the day, hopefully we can all relax and have the initial presentation of the review fixed and any issues with the product addressed as well. Hey, a win win for both teams!

DAC concerns aside, I'd love to own the most perfect measuring piece of equipment imaginable, but I'd probably have to pay some good money for it. I'm sure their [being Sound United] marketing department is on this as we speak! I'd also have to consider all my other external variables....wiring arrangements (did I really route that cheap unbalanced subwoofer cable next to my power cords?), speakers & their inherent distortion, room acoustics, and if having that ceiling fan in my room is a cardinal audio sin.....

At the end of the day, I'm not going to sweat the small stuff. I'm happy with my Anthem MRX 520 at the moment using my PVA 5 amp, but I'll likely wait and see what Anthem may have vs. the Denon X3700H as well.
skylarlove1999 and tinkinHD like this.

Last edited by Speaker Robert; 06-30-2020 at 03:13 PM.
Speaker Robert is offline  
post #1243 of 1671 Old 06-30-2020, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ThePrisoner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 2,699
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 252
I just sold my Marantz 6010 and deciding between the Marantz 6014 or the Denon 4700H. I'm waiting for Best Buy to list the 4700H and that way I'll make my final decision, they still have the 4500 listed. I'm looking forward to the Audyssey editor app along with adding a Heos speaker or two at different rooms in my house.
ThePrisoner is offline  
post #1244 of 1671 Old 06-30-2020, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 87,531
Mentioned: 852 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24612 Post(s)
Liked: 13841
Quote:
Originally Posted by btrach144 View Post
The 3700 series and up include two internal fans. If your receiver is in a closed cabinet extra fans might be necessary but have you tried using an infrared heat gun to see if you even need the external fans since there are two internal fans?
Unless settings have been lowered on the 2020 models, the fans are present for extreme cases only and on previous year's models only come on at 156F. The average temperature with a well ventilated unit should not be any higher than about 110-115F (or 10F lower if ECO = ON) which is barely warm to the touch.
bigguyca, tinkinHD and mrtickleuk like this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #1245 of 1671 Old 06-30-2020, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tonydeluce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baff View Post
Yeah, I don't care how an AVR compares to a 2CH DAC. What is really important to me is how well it compares to a phone dongle. Amir saved me a lot of money. Instead of buying a 6700, I decided to go with a $10 dongle instead! My HT has never sounded so amazing. Now that I have made the switch, I don't know why anyone would ever buy an AVR. My mind is blown
ROTFLMAO - sorry, that is too funny - my side hurts!

Sony XBR-65A8G 65 inch Bravia OLED 4K TV
Panasonic DP-UB820 UltraHD Premium Blu-ray Player * 2019 Nvidia Shield TV * Roku Ultra
LG SL10YG 7.1.2 Channel Soundbar + Rear Speaker kit w/Meridian Technology & Dolby Atmos / DTS:X
tonydeluce is offline  
post #1246 of 1671 Old 06-30-2020, 05:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by muad'dib View Post
Hello..

Here is my quick review..Between my Yamaha cxa5200 and Denon X4700H in pre amp mode..

First thing I noticed with Denon compared to Yamaha, anthem avm60, etc I had and have owned. , is the steering.. Damn... much much more going on in surrounds and atmos speakers..on Denon..

The movement and detail was stunning... I think these new chips in Denon extract every detail effortless..

Dynamics and soundstage are excellent for 2 channel.. Was not expecting that...

The Yamaha, seemed to do better job with its eq in my unfinished room.. So sound was brighter and more exciting...

Yamaha did an amazing job indeed, and in some areas excels over Denon, and in others not..

Steering was stellar, but Denon was better...
Dynamics were more on Yamaha, and soundstage was bigger also on Yamaha..

2 channel music sounded better in Denon.. But AI on Yamaha gives movies a cool edge for bigger sound...


I love both units.... Both have different sound...

But in my unfinished room, the Yamaha is the winner...
For more dynamics, and wider soundstage and little more lively sound..Yamaha is the one...

Then other thing that shocked me, was the video quality. The Denon made the video look better... Not sure how but very nice surprise indeed.

Hope this helps..


Thanks for your quick yet informative review. I have quoted your post , but not in it's entirety.
I demoed a Marantz SR6014 and my observations were very similar to yours. I have a 3.1 setup ( Chane A2.4 for LCR ) and even with that setup the movement of sound from L to R speakers or what you refer to as steering was amazing with Marantz. The detail was pretty good too. However when it came to details Yamaha was no slouch, I would say the detail was pretty similar b/w the two with Marantz having a slight edge. I also find that soundstage is bigger with Yamaha. However despite having a bigger sound stage it's kinda disappointing to see that sound steering with Yamaha is not as good as Marantz. When it came to music in Stero mode both were pretty close , however I felt that Yamaha had a slight edge. I was not using an amp with either of the receivers. I observed that Marantz ran way hotter than Yamaha.

I was also surpised to see that video quality especially from BluRay player was better in Marantz.

Now I have got a real head scratcher when it's time to upgrade my current receiver Denon/ Marantz or Yamaha.
nikhilnh is offline  
post #1247 of 1671 Old 06-30-2020, 05:20 PM
Member
 
airman23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Denon Receiver temperatures

I just got back from Best Buys to listen to some speakers and I saw a Denon AVR-X4500H on display and touching the top of it I noticed that it was very HOT.

What in blazes is causing Denon receivers to run so hot. MY current receiver, a Yamaha Adventage RX-A2000 does not run anywhere near as hot as this Denon

I seriously thinking of upgrading to the Denon AVR-X6700 to get HDMI 2.1 features but this heat issue concerns me. Why do Denon receivers run so hot?
airman23 is offline  
post #1248 of 1671 Old 06-30-2020, 05:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by airman23 View Post
I just got back from Best Buys to listen to some speakers and I saw a Denon AVR-X4500H on display and touching the top of it I noticed that it was very HOT.

What in blazes is causing Denon receivers to run so hot. MY current receiver, a Yamaha Adventage RX-A2000 does not run anywhere near as hot as this Denon

I seriously thinking of upgrading to the Denon AVR-X6700 to get HDMI 2.1 features but this heat issue concerns me. Why do Denon receivers run so hot?
You can see that I made a similar observation in my previous post. However I was comparing Marantz and Yamaha.Yamaha AVR always run cool. If you place some AC Infinity cooling fans on top of the Denon, you'll find that it won't even be warm any more. I have AC Infinity MULTIFAN S7 which is only $19.99. If you spend about $50, you get lot more nicer AC infinity fans with side or rear exhaust.
nikhilnh is offline  
post #1249 of 1671 Old 06-30-2020, 05:51 PM
Member
 
airman23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilnh View Post
You can see that I made a similar observation in my previous post. However I was comparing Marantz and Yamaha.Yamaha AVR always run cool. If you place some AC Infinity cooling fans on top of the Denon, you'll find that it won't even be warm any more. I have AC Infinity MULTIFAN S7 which is only $19.99. If you spend about $50, you get lot more nicer AC infinity fans with side or rear exhaust.
Yes but what makes Denon receivers run so hot in comparison to Yamaha recievers?
Synomenon likes this.
airman23 is offline  
post #1250 of 1671 Old 06-30-2020, 06:54 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Since the new Vizio's have two non-earc 48gbps ports and one 18gbps earc port, in order to use Vizio earc with the 4700h and still funnel 40gbps content through the 4700h inputs you would have to to have TWO HDMI cables going from the receiver to the TV, on for earc connected to the TVs 18gbps earc port, and one cable for the 40gbps content into the non-earc 48gbps vizio port. Glad the X series has two 40gbps outputs and not just one. I don't know if the x series receiver can manage this though. Typically a receiver picks the lesser of the two bandwidths from the EDID when it is connected to two outputs and limits both outputs to the lower bandwidth meaning there is no way in actuality to funnel 40gbps content through the receiver to the TV and use earc. Any know if there is a way around this on the receiver? Vizio's port selection is disappointing.
Bill Lloyd is offline  
post #1251 of 1671 Old 06-30-2020, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Madmax67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mckinney,Texas
Posts: 5,557
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2527 Post(s)
Liked: 2840
Quote:
Originally Posted by airman23 View Post
Yes but what makes Denon receivers run so hot in comparison to Yamaha recievers?
Yamaha enclosures are larger and their bias current at idle is lower . Most engage Auto Eco mode which lowers the temp of the Denon by about 10 degrees or add an external cooling fan. I do the former but my enclosure top never gets above slightly warm regardless. They could have just got done playing a loud movie demo to explain the high heat or maybe that unit just runs hot. Not everyone who owns Denon receivers mentions high heat at the enclosure which means to me location enters into it as well.
dfa973 likes this.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Madmax67 is online now  
post #1252 of 1671 Old 06-30-2020, 07:30 PM
Member
 
GXAlan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by muad'dib View Post
I think there is something about audyssey I don't like... It's not horrible, just seems somehow DARKER in sound...
You need to buy the MultEQ app to turn off the 3 kHz dip that is in the default Reference curve. You should also consider a Harman curve with a bass boost at 60Hz and below.
GXAlan is offline  
post #1253 of 1671 Old 06-30-2020, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
avernar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,929
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1267 Post(s)
Liked: 1542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lloyd View Post
Since the new Vizio's have two non-earc 48gbps ports and one 18gbps earc port, in order to use Vizio earc with the 4700h and still funnel 40gbps content through the 4700h inputs you would have to to have TWO HDMI cables going from the receiver to the TV, on for earc connected to the TVs 18gbps earc port, and one cable for the 40gbps content into the non-earc 48gbps vizio port. Glad the X series has two 40gbps outputs and not just one. I don't know if the x series receiver can manage this though. Typically a receiver picks the lesser of the two bandwidths from the EDID when it is connected to two outputs and limits both outputs to the lower bandwidth meaning there is no way in actuality to funnel 40gbps content through the receiver to the TV and use earc. Any know if there is a way around this on the receiver? Vizio's port selection is disappointing.
Who said you need to send video out Monitor 1 to receive audio via eARC? Just set the output to Monitor 2 only. Yes, you’d need two cables to the TV but that’s minor.

The Vizio port setup is actually very good as very few people are going to have an AVR with 40/48Gbps ports. Those who get an Xbox Series X and a PS5 can plug them into the TV and use eARC for the audio.
avernar is offline  
post #1254 of 1671 Old 06-30-2020, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
muad'dib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,415
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by GXAlan View Post
You need to buy the MultEQ app to turn off the 3 kHz dip that is in the default Reference curve. You should also consider a Harman curve with a bass boost at 60Hz and below.
Yup did all that...

I like more treble than bass, but I use a bass house curve in my minidsp 2x4hd...

I even have audyssey only do bass region, and don't touch my midnto high end..

Yapo on Yamaha has no issues... very bright and detailed sound...

Again, my unfinished room might be messing with audyssey, but I have to live with this room for a while unfortunately

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk
muad'dib is online now  
post #1255 of 1671 Old 06-30-2020, 08:58 PM
Member
 
GXAlan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by muad'dib View Post
Yup did all that...

I like more treble than bass, but I use a bass house curve in my minidsp 2x4hd...

I even have audyssey only do bass region, and don't touch my midnto high end..

Yapo on Yamaha has no issues... very bright and detailed sound...

Again, my unfinished room might be messing with audyssey, but I have to live with this room for a while unfortunately

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Interesting. And if you turn off the Audyssey, you find it less dark?
GXAlan is offline  
post #1256 of 1671 Old 06-30-2020, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
muad'dib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,415
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by GXAlan View Post
Interesting. And if you turn off the Audyssey, you find it less dark?
With Audyssey off, sounds different indeed. Not so much high end, as that is not being touched, but something is different.. Can't put finger in what exactly...

Maybe it's just the way the Denon sounds naturally that I'm hearing...

Eithway, it's good sounding but for my tough room, Yamaha is liitle more open/lively..

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk
muad'dib is online now  
post #1257 of 1671 Old 06-30-2020, 10:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 11,738
Mentioned: 659 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4327 Post(s)
Liked: 4167
Quote:
Originally Posted by muad'dib View Post
With Audyssey off, sounds different indeed. Not so much high end, as that is not being touched, but something is different.. Can't put finger in what exactly...

Maybe it's just the way the Denon sounds naturally that I'm hearing...

Eithway, it's good sounding but for my tough room, Yamaha is liitle more open/lively..

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk
With Audyssey off and YPAO off - and the SPL trims matched for speakers and subs, the Denon and the Yamaha should (almost certainly) sound the same. Have you tried comparing them that way?
dfa973 likes this.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
208, 1" tweeters | 52, 5" woofers | 8, 18" subwoofers

Last edited by Archaea; 06-30-2020 at 10:09 PM.
Archaea is online now  
post #1258 of 1671 Old 06-30-2020, 11:51 PM
Newbie
 
martinbohnert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
S960HD, S750H, or Onkyo TX-NR696

Replacing my Onkyo TX-SR707 with a newer AVR and my budget is $400-$700 range. It'll be powering a 5.1 Definitive Technology Procinema 800 surround sound and maybe will upgrade to a 7.1 at some point. I was hoping folks wouldn't mind weighing in with some opinions/advice/etc I was happy with my Onkyo until it started having issues. Onkyo did replace the HDMI board free of charge after it failed, but now the Audyssey isn't working when I plug in the mic to setup for a new home. I read that CNET gave the NR696 best reviever for 2020, but am obviously hesitant to give them my money again. That being the case, I'm looking at the Denons. I haven't really kept up with home theater since I bought the SR707 back in 2010, so I'm obviously behind the curve. Thanks in advance for any input!

Cheers
martinbohnert is offline  
post #1259 of 1671 Old 07-01-2020, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 87,531
Mentioned: 852 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24612 Post(s)
Liked: 13841
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinbohnert View Post
Replacing my Onkyo TX-SR707 with a newer AVR and my budget is $400-$700 range. It'll be powering a 5.1 Definitive Technology Procinema 800 surround sound and maybe will upgrade to a 7.1 at some point. I was hoping folks wouldn't mind weighing in with some opinions/advice/etc I was happy with my Onkyo until it started having issues. Onkyo did replace the HDMI board free of charge after it failed, but now the Audyssey isn't working when I plug in the mic to setup for a new home. I read that CNET gave the NR696 best reviever for 2020, but am obviously hesitant to give them my money again. That being the case, I'm looking at the Denons. I haven't really kept up with home theater since I bought the SR707 back in 2010, so I'm obviously behind the curve. Thanks in advance for any input!

Cheers
There is a lot of very helpful information provided in the first 8 posts of this thread to include a few of features of each model listed in post 1.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #1260 of 1671 Old 07-01-2020, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 87,531
Mentioned: 852 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24612 Post(s)
Liked: 13841
Quote:
Originally Posted by airman23 View Post
I just got back from Best Buys to listen to some speakers and I saw a Denon AVR-X4500H on display and touching the top of it I noticed that it was very HOT.

What in blazes is causing Denon receivers to run so hot. MY current receiver, a Yamaha Adventage RX-A2000 does not run anywhere near as hot as this Denon

I seriously thinking of upgrading to the Denon AVR-X6700 to get HDMI 2.1 features but this heat issue concerns me. Why do Denon receivers run so hot?
The last time I was in a Best Buy, each AVR was crammed into very tight space with barely enough room for me to slide my hand in over the top. As a result the top of the unit was very HOT as this is woefully insufficient in regards to providing proper ventilation space. A unit placed in a space that has an open front and back with at least a few inches on the sides and at least 3-4" on top should only average about 110F at the most (ie. barely warm to the touch).
iraweiss and tinkinHD like this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
4700h , hdmi diagnostic mode

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off