2Likes
  • 2 Post By Quote1971

post #1 of 11 Old 06-20-2020, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Suggest an AVR

Hi all, struggling to find an AVR and would like some suggestions.

I have 11 speakers and two subs, my center is installed almost at floor level and have been stuck with a yamaha for their dialog lift, two front height speakers were originally used (and still installed) however when I went with four ceiling speakers for atmos I loss the use of those front heights. I have a five channel amp currently driving the primary 5 and the yammy powers the four in the ceiling.

Im looking for the cheapest 11.2 processor (2017,2018 model?) that can do 11.2 processing, power for six channels and has sub eq and multi eq xt 32, dual hdmi output and atmos, thats it. 4k or streaming ect is not required. Like the Marantz 6011 but theyre up over $1k, any other considerarions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-20-2020, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 295
DM, older Onkyo and McIntosh often had XT32 but not all of them had subeq ht though. Pioneer/Onkyo have good budget receivers that can expand to 11 channels, but no xt32. You could get minidsp 2x4 for the subs?

If you need xt32 with subeq ht then the good news is the new 2020 DM receivers are here so you might find someone liquidating an older one? Check the classifieds here.

If not then I would suggest the x3600 which is perfect for longevity, features but at the top of your budget (assuming $1k).

Backup plan, if you don't mind refurbished, you have a few choices there as well, but again all at the top of your budget.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-20-2020, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2522 Post(s)
Liked: 1650
if you want XT32 and Sub EQ HT with 11 channel processing then its only Denon and Marantz models since 2015.

Right now there's a dearth of inventory due to Covid-19. Wait a couple weeks for stock to come back and you might be able to find something around $899. Otherwise you'll be paying $1K or more.

If this one ever comes back in stock you'l be gollden.
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...eceiver/1.html

Afro GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-20-2020, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 106
If the refurb SR6011 doesn't return at A4L, there's also the Pioneer SC-LX701 with MCACC Pro, which can also set gain and delay for 2 subs like XT32. It's a 2017 model sold as new, but I have to imagine the price will fall in the face of these newer AVRs.
The main things it lacks compared to 2019 models are eARC and bluetooth transmission. After firmware updates, it's got pretty much everything else.

Otherwise it's scouring for used models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quote1971 View Post
Hi all, struggling to find an AVR and would like some suggestions.
Im looking for the cheapest 11.2 processor (2017,2018 model?) that can do 11.2 processing, power for six channels and has sub eq and multi eq xt 32, dual hdmi output and atmos, thats it.
Like the Marantz 6011 but theyre up over $1k, any other considerarions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
if you want XT32 and Sub EQ HT with 11 channel processing then its only Denon and Marantz models since 2015.
Right now there's a dearth of inventory due to Covid-19. Wait a couple weeks for stock to come back and you might be able to find something around $899. Otherwise you'll be paying $1K or more.
If this one ever comes back in stock you'l be gollden.
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...eceiver/1.html

Last edited by philpoe; 06-21-2020 at 10:12 PM.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-20-2020, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all for the input, I do think Ill hold out for the 3600 or 6011, a4l did have a screamin deal and Im hoping that returns...on their mailing list for it for now.

One final question....I have five studio 20s (V5) for my front stage (two installed as height directly above my front left and right) and then of course the four ceiling mounted speakers for atmos above the seating area. My question is will either the marantz or the denon configure for these front height speakers or is 7.1.4 for surround back channels only? I only ask because back channels are not an option in my room but retaining the existing front height are and I hate to take them down.

Thanks again.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-21-2020, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Good question. IIRC, Front height speakers were originally for PL-IIz, and I'd think any AVR that offers that particular surround mode should honor them separately from Atmos speakers. You may want to check the manual or contact support on how to wire them on the posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quote1971 View Post
Thanks all for the input, I do think Ill hold out for the 3600 or 6011, a4l did have a screamin deal and Im hoping that returns...on their mailing list for it for now.

One final question....I have five studio 20s (V5) for my front stage (two installed as height directly above my front left and right) and then of course the four ceiling mounted speakers for atmos above the seating area. My question is will either the marantz or the denon configure for these front height speakers or is 7.1.4 for surround back channels only? I only ask because back channels are not an option in my room but retaining the existing front height are and I hate to take them down.

Thanks again.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-21-2020, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Phil. I found the Denon 8500 (a model from 2018) does offer the option of retaining both front height and four ceiling but at $3k+ its way beyond what I want to spend. Besides I do have an XPA-5 and do not need all those amp channels in the 8500, just the processing option of front height. Funny and frustrating that almost all in the price range Im looking at ($1200 or less) are rear (7.2.4) and do not offer front heights (5.2.6) as an option, save of course the grand daddy 8500. Still researching Marantz and lower tier models from Denon but most list amp channels not processing channel options in their specs, makes digging even deeper and figuring out what will process front height, and without the extra $$$ for unneeded amps, challenging. Wish I could do widths or rears but its just not an option in my room...
post #8 of 11 Old 06-30-2020, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Follow up...stumbled onto a mint Emotiva UPA-700 on craigslist for $300 and today pulled the trigger on a Denon 3700, combined with my existing Emotiva XPA-5 that should satisfy the upgrade urge for now. Blew my $1k budget by $500, thats not too bad right? Nice thing is I have a 60 day return policy if I cant get over the loss of dialog lift feature the yammy offers (my center is almost sitting on the floor) I can return it and go back to ypao and the 3080 as a processor only.

Ill try to sell my yammy 3080 locally as its a beast and dont want to ship unless it doesnt move in the greater Portland Oregon area. What do you suppose is a fair price asking price?
post #9 of 11 Old 06-30-2020, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2522 Post(s)
Liked: 1650
Well, the 3080 would still be under warranty so that's a good selling point. Good luck.

Afro GT
post #10 of 11 Old 07-07-2020, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Got my first calibration done today with xt32, the Denon feels like a step down from the yamaha in every way except sound quality. XT32 is just superior to ypao. Im happy to report that because the processing (or is it calibration?) is better, yamaha's dialog lift for my nearly-floor-mounted center channel is not really needed. Ive only calibrated for the plasma but dialog is locked on the screen and I suspect when I pull down the 106" screen and do my second saved calibration (dual calibrations-a really cool feature in this new Denon) I suspect the projection system dialog will be right also. Video processing was better on the yammy, smoother and more refined, but not by much. I am a bit surprised at the gain structure in this new Denon driving an emotiva xpa5 and upa700, never figured Id be listening at 75% of max. I never owned a processor that doesnt give you an option on processing format, automatically selects neural or imax or native for atmos, sorta weird but I guess denon just assumes you want all channels driven regardless of native signal channels, will take some getting used to if youre a control freak like me.
head_unit and Darvis like this.
post #11 of 11 Old Yesterday, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Picked up a demo Anthem 720 off fleabay today, seller claims will come with a bill of sale and full manufacturers warranty. $1550 shipped, so now blew my budget by $800 but with all the rave reviews about ARC I couldnt resist giving it a shot. Ill have all next weekend to do some serious evaluations. You suppose it will even be beneficial to run my Emotiva amps? From all the reviews Ive read the amp section is pretty solid...speakers are paradigm studio 20 v5 (3) 590 v5 (2), micro v2 (2) and 270 (4).

Last edited by Quote1971; Yesterday at 10:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page