Marantz SR 5014 - Add a 2nd TV? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-27-2020, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Marantz SR 5014 - Add a 2nd TV?

Tivo Bolt OTA
Marantz SR5014

The 2 TV's (living room and kitchen) are about 10' from each other as the crow flies but 50' when running an HDMI cable around the room. I am able to get video on the second TV but no audio. So, is it possible to run 2 TV's with the same audio/video or am I spinning my wheels? I tried a splitter off of the Tivo but was getting a delay in audio on the second TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-27-2020, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I'm pretty sure that after a certain distance HDMI cables have a hard time delivering audio but I'm not sure. Watch this video and I think you will answer your question.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 11 Old 06-30-2020, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-30-2020, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2507 Post(s)
Liked: 1641
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrkalot View Post
Tivo Bolt OTA
Marantz SR5014

The 2 TV's (living room and kitchen) are about 10' from each other as the crow flies but 50' when running an HDMI cable around the room. I am able to get video on the second TV but no audio. So, is it possible to run 2 TV's with the same audio/video or am I spinning my wheels? I tried a splitter off of the Tivo but was getting a delay in audio on the second TV.
You're not supposed to get audio. You don't get audio out of the main TV either, the audio stops at the AVR. The two HDMI outs on the sr5014 just mirror each other, Monitor 1 and Monitor 2. Same source, same video.

If you put the AVR in standby mode you might get audio and video out of both but I'm not even sure of that.

You'd have to upgrade your AVR to the sr6014 which has Zone 2 HDMI out, along with a Monitor 1 and Monitor 2 out. Zone 2 would allow you to play the same HDMI source or a separate HDMI source with audio and video.

Afro GT
post #5 of 11 Old 06-30-2020, 03:38 PM

HDMI passes audio and video.

post #6 of 11 Old 06-30-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Tivo Bolt OTA

Marantz SR5014

I assume you may have to buy a powered HDMI splitter. How are you getting signal to the 2nd TV? As another poster stated your AVR doesn't have dual HDMI outputs.

post #7 of 11 Old 06-30-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
HDMI passes audio and video.
Yes it does but when you connect HDMI to your AVR it processes the audio, not the TV. It only passes the video on to the TV.

If you don't believe me, turn on your AVR and keep the volume low and play an HDMI source like your cable box, gaming device or a media streamer. Then turn the volume up on your TV. Do you hear anything out the TV speakers? My guess is No.

The main purpose of the AVR is to process the audio and act as a video switcher.

Under Settings, video, HDMI, HDMI Audio Out - the default is AVR. This means the audio is processed by the AVR and sound comes out of the speakers connected to the AVR. The other setting is TV where the audio is not processed by the AVR and passed thru to the TV. Page 163 of the owners manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HDMI Audio Out.PNG
Views:	5
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	2751336  

Afro GT

Last edited by afrogt; 06-30-2020 at 04:11 PM.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-30-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinson66 View Post
I assume you may have to buy a powered HDMI splitter. How are you getting signal to the 2nd TV? As another poster stated your AVR doesn't have dual HDMI outputs.

The AVR does have dual HDMI out, but they only send video unless the HDMI AUDIO OUT settings are changed from AVR to TV.

Afro GT
post #9 of 11 Old 06-30-2020, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
10' from each other as the crow flies
OK so people in the kitchen are not satisfied listening to the living room's big speakers, or is there a solid wall in between? u may not be able to completely eliminate that echo effect.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-01-2020, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter

Initially I ran HDMI from the Tivo to the powered splitter, from the splitter to the 2 TV's. The old receiver didn't have HDMI so I use optical from the Tivo to the receiver for sound. The audio delay on the kitchen TV was annoying. We just purchased the SR5014 so upgrading to the SR6014 isn't going to happen. Because the 2 rooms are small and a half wall between them makes the lack of sound out of the kitchen TV not really a big issue. At least I know I'm not missing a setting that would pass audio on the second OUT.

Thanks for all of the reply's. Very helpful!
post #11 of 11 Old 07-01-2020, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 101
You might consider trying an HDMI Audio Injector, supplied by the front L/R analog preouts of the SR5014.
https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digita.../dp/B07W7NB4NR

Try one with a decent return policy in case there are issues such as delay.

You might consider other less expensive AVRs than the SR6014 with HMDI Zone 2. A refurbished Denon AVR-X3500H comes to mind.

Quote:
Marantz SR5014
I am able to get video on the second TV but no audio. So, is it possible to run 2 TV's with the same audio/video or am I spinning my wheels? I tried a splitter off of the Tivo but was getting a delay in audio on the second TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
You're not supposed to get audio. You don't get audio out of the main TV either, the audio stops at the AVR. The two HDMI outs on the sr5014 just mirror each other, Monitor 1 and Monitor 2. Same source, same video.

You'd have to upgrade your AVR to the sr6014 which has Zone 2 HDMI out, along with a Monitor 1 and Monitor 2 out. Zone 2 would allow you to play the same HDMI source or a separate HDMI source with audio and video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page