Panamax vs Furman Which one choice? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Wayne A. Pflughaupt
  • 1 Post By zeus33
  • 1 Post By zeus33

post #1 of 14 Old 06-29-2020, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Question Panamax vs Furman Which one choice?

Hello,

I need to buy a new Power linear conditioner etc lol Because my old one Monster HDP-1800 get some problem( 9 years ).

I got dilemma between 2 models. I want each 2 display for Voltage and Amperage to see my consumption.

1. Panamax M5300-pm

2. Furman Elite-15 DMi

Who is the best ...? The price factor is not at issue here since it costs practically the same price.

For Furman Elite-15 Dmi ... Anyone know how much intensity there is for the brightness of the front display?.

Resume what I have to connect :

Reciever Tx-nr1010
CD players-Streamer : Marantz ND8006
Cd 5 disc Player : Marantz
TV Sony 4k 55"
TapeDeck : Nad 616
Headphone : Wireless Sennheiser RS175
Bluray 4k Player : Panasonic UD9000
4k decoder for cable TV
Portable radio
optical device manager.

Thanks for all information`s .

System 7.0 Front : Paradigm Prestige 85F (Walnut) Central : Paradigm 55C (Walnut) Surround : Paradigm 25S (Black) Back Surround : Mirage OMD-5 (Black) Receiver : Onkyo TX-NR1010 BD Player : Oppo 103.

Last edited by Davyboy007; 06-29-2020 at 11:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-29-2020, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 718 Post(s)
Liked: 608
They are pretty similar at this point for protection and well known and respected brands so its features that make the difference and what you are looking for.

For example I went with a Belkin Pure Power unit as I liked the auto switch on and off options that I can set for each outlet so I can make different outlets trigger on and off other outlets. Like I have a small delay set for powering on my amps after my AVR has been powered on and similar for powering off my AVR then auto turns off my amps and the likes.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" 16:9 Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Pyle 2ch Amp + Darbee 5000s + miniDSP 2x4HD (for Subs) Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), FXiA6 (SL/SR), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR), TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR) LFE: (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 7.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, HTPC, nVidia Shield TV Pro, Hauppauge OTA DVR
post #3 of 14 Old 06-29-2020, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Panamax looks more modern, Furman more traditional, industrial looking. Depends if you are going for blinks or subtle.

Quick peek at both manuals reveal no delayed turned on, kinda bothers me, always want delayed (staggered) power on to avoid current rush but that's just me.

Can't decide? buy the one with the best warranty, insurance should they fail to protect your equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 06-29-2020, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davyboy007 View Post
Hello,

I need to buy a new Power linear conditioner etc lol Because my old one Monster HDP-1800 get some problem( 9 years ).

I got dilemma between 2 models. I want each 2 display for Voltage and Amperage to see my consumption.

1. Panamax M5300-pm

2. Furman Elite-15 DMi

Who is the best ...? The price factor is not at issue here since it costs practically the same price.

For Furman Elite-15 Dmi ... Anyone know how much intensity there is for the brightness of the front display?.

Resume what I have to connect :

Reciever Tx-nr1010
CD players-Streamer : Marantz ND8006
Cd 5 disc Player : Marantz
TV Sony 4k 55"
TapeDeck : Nad 616
Headphone : Wireless Sennheiser RS175
Bluray 4k Player : Panasonic UD9000
4k decoder for cable TV
Portable radio
optical device manager.

Thanks for all information`s .
I have both and this is a coin flip. I find it easier to blindly plug things in the back of the Furman then the Panamax as to the way the plugs are oriented on the back. They both have been bulletproof and make sure whatever you buy you can turn off the lights on the front as I find them distracting if you cant dim them or better yet turn them off completely.
post #5 of 14 Old 06-29-2020, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post
Panamax looks more modern, Furman more traditional, industrial looking. Depends if you are going for blinks or subtle.

Quick peek at both manuals reveal no delayed turned on, kinda bothers me, always want delayed (staggered) power on to avoid current rush but that's just me.

Can't decide? buy the one with the best warranty, insurance should they fail to protect your equipment.
Booth got the same warranty. in the same time booth are the same company.

System 7.0 Front : Paradigm Prestige 85F (Walnut) Central : Paradigm 55C (Walnut) Surround : Paradigm 25S (Black) Back Surround : Mirage OMD-5 (Black) Receiver : Onkyo TX-NR1010 BD Player : Oppo 103.
post #6 of 14 Old 06-30-2020, 04:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davyboy007 View Post

1. Panamax M5300-pm

2. Furman Elite-15 DMi
Panamax acquired Furman back in 2006. If those units have the same dimensions, chances are they are essentially the same. Pick the one you think looks the best, unless one happens to have a feature you want that the other doesn't have.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Hetfieldjames likes this.

Equipment List
"A nice mid-fi system," according to an audiophile acquaintance.

Reviews and Tech Articles
post #7 of 14 Old 06-30-2020, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1985 Post(s)
Liked: 1276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne A. Pflughaupt View Post
Panamax acquired Furman back in 2006. If those units have the same dimensions, chances are they are essentially the same. Pick the one you think looks the best, unless one happens to have a feature you want that the other doesn't have.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt
I did not know that, interesting. A lot of times you think you are buying a competitor and it's not. Famous one in trucking is Kenworth and Peterbilt. Both owned by the same parent company, Paccar.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
post #8 of 14 Old 06-30-2020, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1674 Post(s)
Liked: 1123
Does the panamax use series mode protection? My recollection was they dont’t, but couldn’t find the spec on the product page is anyone knows

https://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/p...tioner-4769021
post #9 of 14 Old 06-30-2020, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2001 Post(s)
Liked: 2287
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post
Does the panamax use series mode protection? My recollection was they dont’t, but couldn’t find the spec on the product page is anyone knows

Panamax nor Furman uses Series Mode protection. Furman plays on words and tries to confuse people into believing they do with their "Series Multistage Protection." Not the same.

https://www.furmanpower.com/furman-t...age-protection

SurgeX, Zero Surge and Brickwall are the main products with Series Mode protection.
gattaca likes this.

Last edited by zeus33; 06-30-2020 at 11:53 AM.
post #10 of 14 Old 06-30-2020, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minge View Post
you can turn off the lights on the front as I find them distracting if you cant dim them or better yet turn them off completely.
Agree. The only box one should pay attention to is the AVR/processor display.
post #11 of 14 Old 07-01-2020, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1674 Post(s)
Liked: 1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
Panamax nor Furman uses Series Mode protection. Furman plays on words and tries to confuse people into believing they do with their "Series Multistage Protection." Not the same.

https://www.furmanpower.com/furman-t...age-protection

SurgeX, Zero Surge and Brickwall are the main products with Series Mode protection.
Interestingly enough, someone bumped an older thread comparing Furman/Panamax with an answer from Furman

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l#post59889556

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
***From Furman Power - FYI:

I would go with the Elite-15 DMi.

Our Series Multi-Stage Protection is indeed 100% Series Mode. We use both parallel and series surge suppression. Essentially we tweaked the original series mode design from Bell Laboratories. We use the series mode to protect the parallel TVSS (MOV’s). The MOV’s are used for two reasons. The first is high voltage MOV to protect the relay contacts from oxidization over time. The other is to achieve our low clamping voltage. This is not possible with just series mode as the clamping is dictated primarily by the large capacitor.

The M5300-PM is a great design but it is parallel surge only. For mission critical application and Furman with SMP is where I start. Below is a link to our tech note. You can read the SMP white paper. In fact there is a photo of the SMP circuit which show the large series inductor, large cap and rectifier circuit. All major components for any series mode design.

https://www.furmanpower.com/support/tech-corner
post #12 of 14 Old 07-01-2020, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Interestingly enough, someone bumped an older thread comparing Furman/Panamax with an answer from Furman

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l#post59889556
Last years thread

I choose the Furman Elite-15 DMi. All persons said to me is a good choice. I get a special on it too so I am happy.

Wait and see

Thank you all for giving me the information necessary to make up my mind, I really appreciate it.

Last edited by Davyboy007; 07-01-2020 at 08:18 PM.
post #13 of 14 Old 07-01-2020, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2001 Post(s)
Liked: 2287
Quote:

"Essentially we tweaked the original series mode design from Bell Laboratories."

No idea what he's talking about there as Series Mode was created by Jack Hartford of ZeroSurge, not Bell Labs. SurgeX has acquired the patents. Series Mode doesn't rely on the ground nor contaminate it like MOVs do. ZeroSurge sued Furman over it and Furman lost and were forced to change the name. They didn't want to pay to license the tech, so they had to make sure they didn't infringe. MOVs are sacrificial. Series mode is not.

If someone likes Furman's design, by all means use it, but just understand exactly what you're getting.

All that aside, I do think Furman makes good products.
gattaca likes this.
post #14 of 14 Old 07-04-2020, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 101
^^^^^ Correct. It all depends on what the owner is really out to to accomplish. Furman makes a complete line of power "conditioners" ranging from "balanced power" isolation transformers to power-regulators to "linear" conditioners. There are several threads around and some good vids on YT showing the original "series-mode" in action vs MOV.

My personal ranking products in order of engineering and true surge protections:

a) SurgeX, ZeroSurge, BrickWall (all these use "true series mode" as licensed... )
b) Furman's Technologies in general
c) All others...

I'd encourage you to consider using more than 1 of the units in series, for instance, you can install a SurgeX wired-in unit on a dedicated 20A circuit near your electrical panel (or use one of their other units) and then use the sequencer device to switch on your setups to handle in-rush etc..

Peace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page