Tiny Class D 3.1 AV receiver? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By sigpig

post #1 of 14 Old 06-29-2020, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Tiny Class D 3.1 AV receiver?

Must I buy a soundbar?

I would really like to buy 3 identical bookshelf speakers and power them with a tiny and inexpensive AV receiver that only does what I want, power the left, center and right channels for watching movies.
Essentially I want someone to take the guts out of a soundbar, put it into a little box that I could then hook up to the speakers of my choice.

I have had a 7.1 system in the past when I had a projector. I had three KEF speakers behind AT screen. They were great but the rest didn't add that much extra for the hassle. So now that I have a new TV on the hunt for something that sounds good and looks good. Right now I am torn between soundbar and powered 2.1 speaker setup hooked up to my TVs audio out, something like the Kanto 4's.

any ideas?

The films of De Sica, of Welles, of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger made little money and endure as spiritual delights.
--David Mamet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-30-2020, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I think it may depend on your seating position and amount of listeners. If you're listening to a stereo mix and you're centered between your speakers you should get a convincing "phantom center" due to good imaging. If there are multiple seating positions, or you have a really wide couch then you will not get that "phantom center" and a dedicated center channel would really help. Our YU4 + subwoofer should be sufficient for HT applications but it's up to you and how your setup is arranged to determine if a center channel is a necessity.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-30-2020, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1318 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
Marantz "NR-series" slimline AVRs is about the smallest you will find.
spyboy likes this.

Basement 5.1.4: Anthem MRX 720, Monoprice 2-channel amp, Paradigm Prestige 85F/55C/15B. PSB Alpha A1/P3 for Atmos HSU STF-2, ATV4K, XBox OneS, Harmony Ultimate, Samsung 65" Q7D.
Living room: Yamaha YSP-6000 with 10" Yamaha sub, ATV3, Harmony Ultimate, 55" Insignia 1080P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 06-30-2020, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
Marantz "NR-series" slimline AVRs is about the smallest you will find.
The Integra DSX-3 is even smaller (under 3 inches tall) but harder to find and definitely has less power.
post #5 of 14 Old 06-30-2020, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltby View Post
Must I buy a soundbar?

I would really like to buy 3 identical bookshelf speakers and power them with a tiny and inexpensive AV receiver that only does what I want, power the left, center and right channels for watching movies.
Essentially I want someone to take the guts out of a soundbar, put it into a little box that I could then hook up to the speakers of my choice.

I have had a 7.1 system in the past when I had a projector. I had three KEF speakers behind AT screen. They were great but the rest didn't add that much extra for the hassle. So now that I have a new TV on the hunt for something that sounds good and looks good. Right now I am torn between soundbar and powered 2.1 speaker setup hooked up to my TVs audio out, something like the Kanto 4's.

any ideas?
I don't know of a 3.1, but I totally agree with your position.

for a low cost 2.1 solution: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=18512

higher cost is the new Sonos AMP - have HDMI and ARC support

also for simplicity is the older Sonos soundbar.

good luck

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Ascend Acoustics Duo,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-01-2020, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantoliving View Post
I think it may depend on your seating position and amount of listeners. If you're listening to a stereo mix and you're centered between your speakers you should get a convincing "phantom center" due to good imaging. If there are multiple seating positions, or you have a really wide couch then you will not get that "phantom center" and a dedicated center channel would really help. Our YU4 + subwoofer should be sufficient for HT applications but it's up to you and how your setup is arranged to determine if a center channel is a necessity.

Seating position: Couch that holds 3 people max 10 ft away from 65 inch screen, so two speakers might be 7 and a half ft apart and ear level at lest.

As opposed to a small sound bar, which might just be 2.1 and no center channel, where the speakers might be two feet apart and under the TV below ear level.

The films of De Sica, of Welles, of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger made little money and endure as spiritual delights.
--David Mamet
post #7 of 14 Old 07-01-2020, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Must I buy a soundbar?
Of course not, but if u wanto keep things simple a powered SB with built-in dolby processing and you won't even have to have the separate receiver, assuming no am/fm needed.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-01-2020, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post
Of course not, but if u wanto keep things simple a powered SB with built-in dolby processing and you won't even have to have the separate receiver, assuming no am/fm needed.

Yes, that is the designated path of least resistance. Powered speaker is also simple, just seems to be some uncertainty about how well the TVs audio out deals with left middle and right. I see the new Vizio 5.1 soundbar at $250 now has a center channel.

--David Mamet
post #9 of 14 Old 07-01-2020, 10:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Must I buy a soundbar? ...a tiny and inexpensive AV receiver that only...power the left, center and right
Get an AVR and don't use some channels, no harm done. I don't believe what you want exists, the market is too small. Or just run stereo-stereo into good speakers will sound better than a soundbar with L/R like a meter apart. Stereo components have gotten crazy small depending how much power you demand.

If you do go to a soundbar https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/usa/e.../tv-sound/tvb2
is crazy cheap, made of metal, has a solid wireless sub, and sounded really musical at an L.A. audio show. We listened to a bunch of different stuff for about 2 hours.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-08-2020, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Not finding what I really wanted, I am about ready to give in and go cheap and cheerful with the new Vizio V51-H6. It's a 5.1 with center speaker and dialog EQ.

--David Mamet
post #11 of 14 Old 07-08-2020, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Are you talking about small priced or physically small?

Some physically small sized boxes are more expensive, they are selling you aesthetic. Small sized 3.1... tough.

Small priced... buy used 5.1, your local Good Will may have one... or Craiglst.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-08-2020, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Pioneer has a small receiver. Still wide and deep tho.

https://www.pioneerhomeusa.com/product/vsx-s520-2/

Yamaha too.
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audi...2_u/index.html
post #13 of 14 Old 07-08-2020, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post
Are you talking about small priced or physically small?

Some physically small sized boxes are more expensive, they are selling you aesthetic. Small sized 3.1... tough.

Small priced... buy used 5.1, your local Good Will may have one... or Craiglst.

Exactly, and it's that aesthetic I want to buy. I could probably ask around and get a big old used 5.1 for free. I had one in the past, but now I find them depressing.

--David Mamet
post #14 of 14 Old 07-09-2020, 05:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked: 1375
Have you looked at the NAD D 3045? It is only 2.1 but nice and small with class D.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page