AVS Forum banner

What's to blame for this CEC problem?

678 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  afrogt 
#1 ·
Hi all.

I have all my sources going into an NAD T758 receiver, which feeds a projector.

Recently I got a couple of new media-playback devices that are CEC-conversant (a Raspberry Pi running Kodi, and an Nvidia Shield), and they reveal a problem: They both, by default, send a CEC command to switch the "TV" to their input when they're turned on. In my system, the projector is erroneously switched to a secondary and unused HDMI input.

It seems to me that the receiver is improperly passing this input-switching command to the projector, when in fact it should be the final consumer of that command. Is that reasonable?

Thanks for any insight.

#3 ·
These devices want to be the center of your universe, it seems. I ran into this as well with a Roku Premiere+ which is really annoying as it sends CEC even with CEC turned off!

I put a Lindy HDMI CEC Less adapter on my Roku HDMI output. It strips out CEC and now my Harmony Companion controls everything correctly.

#5 ·
I use the Audio Return Channel on my TV for OTA broadcasts so... CEC has to be ON, unfortunately. Otherwise I would do as you do. :)

#7 ·
Hmmm... I was under the impression (e.g. "I think it works this way but not 100% positive") that CEC had to be enabled on the AVR/processor and TV for the TV to pass audio via HDMI back to the processor. That seems to be true in my configuration. That unfortunately meant the processor would be vulnerable to any CEC commands that happen to show up, such as those coming from my Roku regardless of whether CEC is on or off. That Roku is connected to the processor. Is your setup differently or is this just a difference in CEC behavior across devices (or my misunderstanding)?

#11 · (Edited)
On Denon receivers HDMI Control, which is their name for CEC does not need to be enabled for ARC to work. I have two OLEDs, B7 and C8 and two Denon receivers, x2400 and x3300 and neither has HDMI Control enabled and ARC works perfectly sending TV app audio to the AVR. See the attached pic.

Marantz should work the same way since they're sister companies/brands. I have no idea how NAD works with CEC.

Attachments

#9 ·
Interesting. It sounds like they allow audio but block CEC commands. I like it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.