AVS Forum banner

Onkyo customer service is a pipe dream...

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  HD DLP 
#1 ·
Heads up to you guys..

As if many haven't been down this road before.

I pulled my NR3030 out of storage and plugged it in. It's got fairly low run time on it.

The second I turn it on, I hear the insides sizzle and smell like burning. I turn it off and bring it to my local authorized onkyo repair shop.

Several days later, I get a call that a few transistors fried along with a circuit board or two along for the same ride. I ok the repair and the tech tells me that he can't return my parts, because he has a deal with onkyo to return them to onkyo. I remind him that I'm paying for the new parts and labor, and that it's against the law to not return my old parts after requesting them.

It's going on two weeks and the repair shop and I have called onkyo with no success. They have not called me back. They did tell the authorized repair place that they were gonna escalate the situation to management, just as soon as they were told they were breaking the law.

I've had several onkyo receivers. Couple have fried, the oldest ones still work like a charm.

I will never buy onkyo again, and neither should any of you. They have fallen out of touch with clients and reality.

I'm hearing that denon and marantz take better care of their customers. This came from a reputable source.

This is my last onkyo and my new lawsuit if they don't clean their act up.

Onkyo buyers beware.

See less See more
#3 ·
Sorry, but I hate posts like this - and you see them regarding pretty much all manufacturers. There would be nothing left to buy if you can't buy brand X because someone had a bad customer service experience. I guess I just don't understand your gripe on this one. The repair shop fixed your equipment out of warranty (after being in storage for an unknown time in unknown conditions), and you're mad because they are not sending you the fried transistors and circuit board (not sure why you want them if fried - and they actually might send them to you after all since Onkyo is escalating your request)? If you have had several Onkyo pieces go bad, I don't blame you for trying another brand, but not sure you have much of a lawsuit.

#4 ·
Heads up to you guys..

As if many haven't been down this road before.

I pulled my NR3030 out of storage and plugged it in. It's got fairly low run time on it.

The second I turn it on, I hear the insides sizzle and smell like burning. I turn it off and bring it to my local authorized onkyo repair shop.

Several days later, I get a call that a few transistors fried along with a circuit board or two along for the same ride. I ok the repair and the tech tells me that he can't return my parts, because he has a deal with onkyo to return them to onkyo. I remind him that I'm paying for the new parts and labor, and that it's against the law to not return my old parts after requesting them.

It's going on two weeks and the repair shop and I have called onkyo with no success. They have not called me back. They did tell the authorized repair place that they were gonna escalate the situation to management, just as soon as they were told they were breaking the law.

I've had several onkyo receivers. Couple have fried, the oldest ones still work like a charm.

I will never buy onkyo again, and neither should any of you. They have fallen out of touch with clients and reality.

I'm hearing that denon and marantz take better care of their customers. This came from a reputable source.

This is my last onkyo and my new lawsuit if they don't clean their act up.

Onkyo buyers beware.
I think you have a misconception of how replacement parts for out of production products work. The boards and such are no longer made. There actually are no available new replacement parts. So when you get a quote for a new board, it's likely not a new board and it's also assuming the old board is being returned in the cost. Since they're no longer making these parts, the only way you can buy one is to buy one that was reworked after it came back for repair. So I don't agree that you have any legal claim to receive the old boards back. It's likely part of the deal. Unfortunately, it sounds like the repair center and Onkyo staff didn't know how to properly explain this to you.

#6 ·
This was just a heads up for what is going on over at the Onkyo camp. They have new parts available for older items. It's against the law to sell them as new if they are refurbished. They offered me new replacement parts. Again, its also illegal for them to demand to keep the old parts.

I'm not here to support their R&D on my time and coin. The authorized repair center does other big brands and admitted that this was unorthodox and illegal of them to do. They also mentioned another big brand that when having trouble with a repair, they just send out a new receiver when feasable. Basically comparing tight wad types and others who believe is strong service.

Billp, Hate the post all you want, this is just a courtesy notice of whats going on at the moment in the onkyo service world.You are right there may be more out there, im not worried about others, though. Posts like these help other enthusiasts when trouble arises. The pattern of misconduct builds a case and breaks down this type of behavior and service when manufacture types shy away and deny ever having these issues. Previous posts like this cleans them up every now and then. Now, go on with your ungrateful self..

#8 ·
Resolved!

For any of you who are curious, or just hate these type of threads..

Onkyo called the repair center and gave them permission to order new repair parts. They, weren't interested in paying for the new parts and acknowledged that they weren't getting bad parts back for inspection. They Took weeks to get to this point. Onkyo didn't even have the balls to call me to resolve any of this, they just gave the ok to order new parts and slipped away quietly. I know I couldn't get away with that kind of service and would be fired if I handled a sale or client this way.

In the end, my nr3030 will run for a bit longer, and I will walk away from Onkyo and never buy their product again.

#9 ·
New update: Not resolved.

Onkyo USA is no longer. There is a new distributor and they will now distribute with klipsch. There is no eta on when and if I will receive repair parts.

Yay.

#11 ·
New update: Not resolved.

Onkyo USA is no longer. There is a new distributor and they will now distribute with klipsch. There is no eta on when and if I will receive repair parts.

Yay.
Yes VOXX International have acquired distribution rights for Onkyo & Pioneer products announced on the 30th of July, VOXX International Corporation Announces Expanded Distribution Alliance Between Klipsch And Onkyo Corporation

It seems Onkyo & Pioneer have gained a new lease on life or perhaps not?

#10 ·
Correcto..
The new group is called Premium Audio Company, LLC:
  • Klipsch Group, Inc. – which includes the Klipsch, Jamo, Energy, and ProMedia speaker brands.
  • 11 Trading Company (11 TC) – the newly formed distribution company with exclusive distribution rights in the Americas to the Onkyo, Pioneer, Pioneer Elite, and Integra brands, as well as rights with respect to the Magnat and Heco brands.
In addition, 11 TC will exclusively market and sell premium audio products in the Americas for following two subsidiaries.
  • Magnat and Heco loudspeakers, two of Germanys most revered speaker companies.
  • Onkyo & Pioneer Corporation, which includes the Onkyo, Pioneer, Pioneer Elite and Integra brands and products such as AV receivers, HiFi equipment, mini systems, smart speakers, turntables, sound bars, home theater systems, and optical disc players.
Hopefully this works out well for all involved companies/brands..

Just my $0.02.. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.